Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mini Laptops

• 24-01-2009 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

The missus has set her heart on one of those tiny laptops with a 9" screen and about 16gb mem. The only problem is we live in France and the keyboards would wreck your head. The Italian ones are very similar but the math symbols are in different places, a headwrecker using excel. Dell UK will only ship to the address on the credit card so another dead end there. I know it sounds irrational but I don't want to give Dell Ireland a penny of my money, let them FO to Poland.

I'm open to suggestions. Any ideas anyone?

/edit/

I just compared Dell FR to Dell IE for the Dell Inspiron Mini
    The IE version is €60 dearer and has only 8gb mem compared to 16gb mem. Scandalous.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Icdb

Hagar wrote: »
    The missus has set her heart on one of those tiny laptops with a 9" screen and about 16gb mem. The only problem is we live in France and the keyboards would wreck your head. The Italian ones are very similar but the math symbols are in different places, a headwrecker using excel. Dell UK will only ship to the address on the credit card so another dead end there. I know it sounds irrational but I don't want to give Dell Ireland a penny of my money, let them FO to Poland.

I'm open to suggestions. Any ideas anyone?

try pixmania... they are french.... you should be able to order one with a propper keyboard from them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

msi wind, samsung nc10, are ones to consider too. These have 10.2" screens generally have 160Gb Harddrives and atom processors. The samsung is still probably the best netbook out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 jf852003

I would also recommend the Asus eee pc, its the netbook that started netbooks. I bought one in Hong Kong last summer, its pretty similiar to the Samsung mentioned above. Its great for travelling with and i tend to bring it everywhere. The Samsung is a good option also, my mother has one and she loves it. Personally, i prefer the white Asus, i think its more stylish but I think you won't go wrong with either. They have good size hard drives, strong performance for everything but the most cpu heavy apps like video editing or 3d gaming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Thanks for the replies.
    The laptop will be used for browsing, email, word and excel. I have an external USB DVD drive so I should be ok for loading programs, taking backups etc.

I tried Pixmania and they had a reasonable offer on the Asus eeePc 1000H but as soon as I select delivery country as France they pop me onto the Franch site and swap it to the French version of the machine with French XP and Keyboard. Maybe if I rang the on Monday they could help me out but I'm not too optmistic. They seem very inflexible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Icdb

e-mail pixmania and they will help you out... I use pixmania pro their business site.. and they delivery anywhere for me...

they have always been very helpful

• Advertisement

Thanks Icdb I'll give that a try.

Update.

I did a bit of investigation and I found that the Italian keyboard is almost identical. The only real differences are the brackets + - , basically the less frequently needed characters. So I decided to drive to Italy. :)

Here's what I ended up buying, not quite what I set out for but nevertheless...

Acer 5320 Extensa
    15.4in WXGA Acer Crystalbrite LCD
    Intel Celeron 575 2.0gHz/1
    3 GB DDR2
    120GB HDD
    DVD-Super Multi
    Modem 56k
    Lan 10/100/1000 Base T
    Wireless Acer Nplify 802.11 b/g/Draft N WLAN
    Vista Home Basic

Naturally I'm going to reload an equivalent English language version of Vista (legal)

All for €399 from MediaStore, San Remo.

Verdict?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Hagar wrote: »
    All for €399 from MediaStore, San Remo.

Mediastore are savage, I miss them like hell.

Seems a good enough little number.

Advertisement