Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Cheers ElD, really enjoying my first year of tri. All the hard work makes you appreciate how hard it is to get to a certain fitness level, never want to go back to my old unfit days.
    I here you on the break i am prone to being stubborn and pushing through anything but i am going to listen to the body and rest up when i need to otherwise it will ruin the work i have done so far.

Friday
    AM Swim Session
    Full of beans this morning for my endurance session and literally had the pool to myself for the first 40 minutes. The plan was a 500 wu 2x1500 and a 200 wd. The first 1500 completed in 32:25 and i got the pace right on the 2nd one for an improved 31:33, nearly a minute quicker.
    Felt suprisingly easy although my technique was not perfect and muscled through the 2nd set a bit.
    Distance: 3700mtrs
    Time: 1:26

Lunchtime Windy Spin
    Jesus it is windy out there today, contemplated heading back to work after 2km as i was struggling to hold the bike in a straight line. Pace was slow today due to the wind and i had planned on an easy ride (less than 130hr) but did not work out that way.
    Distance: 23.32km & 7km commute
    Time: 53:06
    Avg speed: 26.4kpmh
    HR: 136

11 years married today, April Fools of all days!!! So i do not expect much in the form of training tomorrow as i will probably head out later:)
    May do the Tour of Carlingford sportive on Sunday as there is a good few i know heading up to it and i will probably keep the long spin below 120kms this week.

Saturday
    Progressive paced LSR
    Last LSR before London and a decent confidence builder as i felt i could have ran longer and harder at the end of the session. Nearly did not get this done as the day was getting away from me and i am heading out tonight with Mrs JB:) Decided on a progressive paced run building up to a little slower than PMP.
    First 5k @ 5.30 pace
    Second 5k @ 5.15 pace
    Third 5k @ 5.00 pace
    Fourth 5k @ 4.45 pace, i actually done the last two kms at 4.30 pace
    2km warm down back home
    Distance: 22km
    Time: 1:52:08
    Pace: 5.05km/8.12mile
    HR: 151-78%/164-85%

Sunday
    Long Bike - Well sort of long:rolleyes:
    I did not make it out for the Tour of Carlingford due to a combination of a sore head and it being Mothers Day and a day of rest for Mrs JB:) I eventually got out for a 3 hour spin tonight and it was enjoyable taking in Termonfeckin, Clogherhead, Tallanstown, Ardee, Drumcar, Dunleer and back home. Bloody garmin hr spiked on the way home as i am pretty sure i was not operating at 229bpm:eek:
    Distance: 93.9km
    Time: 3:06:42
    Avg speed: 30.2kmph
    HR: 141/229 more like an average of 137 before the hrm spiked.

Week 20 Summary
    28th Mar - 03rd April|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|8|11:21|210km
    Swimming|2|2:46|7.3km
    Cycling|3|5:40|167.4km
    Running|3|2:55|35.3km
    Conditioning|0|0:00|Strengthening Work/Core - Gym
    Other|0|0:00|

Totals so far
    15th Nov- 03rd April|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|228|257:53|4481.3km
    Swimming|46|43:39|127.6km
    Cycling|69|113:32|3377.3km
    Running|92|83:42|915.8km
    Conditioning|15|13:30|Strengthening Work - Gym
    Other|6|3:30|Swim coaching

I feel fully rested and good to go after this lazy recovery week. With London two weeks away the plan is to put some decent volume in this week and have another easy week leading up to the race.
    17 weeks to find out how mentally tough i am:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Would love to have a crack at London, One day, they'll say yes.

Wave at the camera, I'll keep an eye out for you. :D

Aimman wrote: »
    Would love to have a crack at London, One day, they'll say yes.

Wave at the camera, I'll keep an eye out for you. :D

Yeah i have always wanted to run it and really looking forward to it. Have you tried the lottery in the past?

Monday
    Lunchtime Run
    Headed out for a 9km run, wind was unreal out there today but i kept a decent pace.
    Distance: 8.94km
    Time: 43:10
    Pace: 4.49km/7.46mile
    HR: 157/169

PM Swim/Bike brick session
    I had rescheduled the AM swim session until this evening as i wanted to do a swim/bike brick session. Did not realise the pool was in full use so ended up joining the Drogheda Masters with their session.
    I have never felt so inadequate in a pool with the rest of these fishies. Done a mixed bag of 100s/200s/400s not sure of the time or how many as it was just non stop madness trying to keep on peoples feet.
    I need to get used to swimming in numbers as it is tough to get the breathing right when there is plenty of activity around you. I now officially hate swimming:(
    Distance: about 3km:confused:
    Time: 65mins

I had the turbo set up and ready to go for a pyramid interval set. I would say i was about 10 minutes between the swim and getting onto the bike. Did not push it to hard and was probably operating at 80% as i did not have the HRM setup.
    pyramid0404.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Yeah i have always wanted to run it and really looking forward to it. Have you tried the lottery in the past?

I missed the deadline last year. didnt think it filled up so quickly, but entered this year and got a nice PFO mail from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭griffin100

If you haven't seen this already there are some nice pictures of the bike and run coirse here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

There will be plenty of oppertunity Jacky to get used of swimming with others around you before IMUK. Although maybe not to that extent but still. It's almost time for OW swimming to start now and loads of lads on here venture out so you may be able to join them. Good luck with this weeks training dude.

Aimman wrote: »
    I missed the deadline last year. didnt think it filled up so quickly, but entered this year and got a nice PFO mail from them.

Do you know when the deadline is for 2012 want to get my lottery ticket in early!!
    griffin100 wrote: »
    If you haven't seen this already there are some nice pictures of the bike and run coirse here.

Ah i think that is Wiganer from TriTalk, i have seen the site already and found it very helpful. His race report is a good read especially if you like reading about people suffering:).
    There will be plenty of oppertunity Jacky to get used of swimming with others around you before IMUK. Although maybe not to that extent but still. It's almost time for OW swimming to start now and loads of lads on here venture out so you may be able to join them. Good luck with this weeks training dude.

Yeah i need to start thinking about some OW sessions soon now that the weather is changing. I have two crowded OW events before IMUK so hopefully it will get me used to the thrashing about.

Tuesday
    Lunchtime Gym
    Put in a good 60 minute session, the first decent session in several weeks tbh. Whilst the weights i am moving are well down on previous sessions the form on all them was good. Hard to imagine when i was a gym bunny i could bench over my body weight and now i struggle on 50kg:rolleyes:
    Threw in a good 25 minutes of core work towards the end as i have not been paying too much attention to this area recently.

Evening Club Session

I was very sluggish tonight perhaps it was the wind knocking the **** out of me. Messed up the first manual lap on the 800s combining the strides with the first 800 time but i reckon it was a 2.58, 2.58 and finally managed to pull out a half decent 2.52 for the last one. It seems the fast 150's last week are in fact only 140's:( so i am not the fast then!!. Hit these in 23,21,21,20 and had to miss the 600s and warm down as i had a physio session to get to.
    Distance: 6km
    Time: 25:37
    Pace: 4.12km/6.52mile
    HR: 148/178

Physio Session
    It is 6 weeks since my last session just went tonight for a rubdown as the tendons on the back of both knees felt very tight. I also had some bruising/swelling over my left foot (metatarsal) thankfully there is no pain with it and my guy was happy enough with me to continue training on it.

Wednesday AM
    It was nearly 4 weeks ago since my last IM distance pool swim. The main aim was to feel fresher after it not like last time when i was knackered.
    First 2km felt like an age and then i really got into it. I had not looked at the watch at all but the last 800mtrs felt faster.
    Dissapointed to see the time come in at 1:22.31 which is 3 minutes slower than my last time i posted.
    On a positive note i felt fresher than last time out so perhaps i need to look at a slower paced swim than my initial target of 1:15 to leave myself fresh for the bike.
    Given the fact i can only make up 5 minutes or so in the swim (if i am lucky) i may drop back to 2 sessions and use the spare time to focus more on the bike and run where i could shave off much more time. That and the fact swimming is so bloody boring for me!! At least i hit green in the swim for the SBR challenge:)
    Distance: 3.8km & 300 b/s wd
    Time: 1:22:31

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Wednesday AM
    It was nearly 4 weeks ago since my last IM distance pool swim. The main aim was to feel fresher after it not like last time when i was knackered.
    First 2km felt like an age and then i really got into it. I had not looked at the watch at all but the last 800mtrs felt faster.
    Dissapointed to see the time come in at 1:22.31 which is 3 minutes slower than my last time i posted.
    On a positive note i felt fresher than last time out so perhaps i need to look at a slower paced swim than my initial target of 1:15 to leave myself fresh for the bike.
    Given the fact i can only make up 5 minutes or so in the swim (if i am lucky) i may drop back to 2 sessions and use the spare time to focus more on the bike and run where i could shave off much more time. That and the fact swimming is so bloody boring for me!! At least i hit green in the swim for the SBR challenge:)
    Distance: 3.8km & 300 b/s wd
    Time: 1:22:31

I don't know if you plan many more of these ironman distance pool swims, but my advice to you would be that they're not necessary. I only covered the distance once. If you manage to get a good draft and swim straight you'll find yourself swimming faster on the day than you might expect. That's what happened me anyway. I wouldn't obsess about a swim time, what happens happens and you're hardly going to check a watch or HRM in the middle of the swim anyway. Swim at an effort level you know you can maintain, it shouldn't take anything out of you for the bike and run that follow.
    It's true what you say about greater gains to be made on the bike and run, but at the same time I think 2 swim sessions a week on a consistent basis for 16/18 weeks will not give you enough swims. Others might say different, but I personally wouldn't have felt prepared had I only swam 32 times before my ironman race.
    Sure you could probably increase training time on the bike, but a big increase in your running and you risk picking up an injury. I'm not sure I fully agree with it, but I've been told ironman training is about doing as little running as you can get away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

That's interesting Zico. I'll pop a question to you about it in the sub10 thread so as not to hijack JB's log.

I hear you on the swim boredom JB. Its just that we have both put in some good work in the pool over the winter and are boreed of length. I am anyway, so I can't imagine how bored you would be in a 25m pool :eek: Bring on the OW swims. The long OW aerobic swim was one of my favourite sessions last summer...

zico10 wrote: »
    I don't know if you plan many more of these ironman distance pool swims, but my advice to you would be that they're not necessary. I only covered the distance once. If you manage to get a good draft and swim straight you'll find yourself swimming faster on the day than you might expect. That's what happened me anyway. I wouldn't obsess about a swim time, what happens happens and you're hardly going to check a watch or HRM in the middle of the swim anyway. Swim at an effort level you know you can maintain, it shouldn't take anything out of you for the bike and run that follow.
    It's true what you say about greater gains to be made on the bike and run, but at the same time I think 2 swim sessions a week on a consistent basis for 16/18 weeks will not give you enough swims. Others might say different, but I personally wouldn't have felt prepared had I only swam 32 times before my ironman race.
    Sure you could probably increase training time on the bike, but a big increase in your running and you risk picking up an injury. I'm not sure I fully agree with it, but I've been told ironman training is about doing as little running as you can get away with.

@ Zico - I was doing them more as a confidence booster to get an idea on what comfortable pace i can hold for the distance. I would also be interested in the two swims being not enough although i see Mcos had posted a question in the mentored thread. I will probably do one more IM distance swim in OW.
    I here you on the running need to watch the volume, what was the maximum running distance you were covering each week during the peak phase of your training?

@ Mcos - Yeah maybe it will not be so bad with 2 pool and 1 OW session a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

@ Zico - I was doing them more as a confidence booster to get an idea on what comfortable pace i can hold for the distance. I would also be interested in the two swims being not enough although i see Mcos had posted a question in the mentored thread. I will probably do one more IM distance swim in OW.

The confidence booster for me was doing 4,000m straight in the pool once, I only did this once though. I swam for an hour in the open water another time, which I did twice and I felt these three sessions were enough. How many 3.8k+ swims have you done so far? How insecure can you be?:D
    I here you on the running need to watch the volume, what was the maximum running distance you were covering each week during the peak phase of your training?
    I'm scratching my head trying to think of the answer to this. Distance would have increased each week because long run kept getting longer and I also increased my running time in the weekly brick session I did.
    My longest long run was 41.4km, the longest run off the bike would have lasted 1hr 30 min, where I'm estimating I would have covered 20.77km. With warm-up, main set, rest between efforts and cool down I'm guessing my other two weekly runs would have averaged out at about 13km. So doing the sums it'd be 41.4km + 20.77km + 26km, giving a grand total of 88.17km. I'm sure some consider this too much running and on top of everything I was probably running a risk of doing serious damage to myself, but I enjoy running and no pain, no gain.

The confidence booster for me was doing 4,000m straight in the pool once, I only did this once though. I swam for an hour in the open water another time, which I did twice and I felt these three sessions were enough. How many 3.8k+ swims have you done so far? How insecure can you be?:D

Very insecure about the swim i do not want to drown:) I have only completed two IM distance swims in the pool so not so bad although i do plan to do another in OW.
    I'm scratching my head trying to think of the answer to this. Distance would have increased each week because long run kept getting longer and I also increased my running time in the weekly brick session I did.
    My longest long run was 41.4km, the longest run off the bike would have lasted 1hr 30 min, where I'm estimating I would have covered 20.77km. With warm-up, main set, rest between efforts and cool down I'm guessing my other two weekly runs would have averaged out at about 13km. So doing the sums it'd be 41.4km + 20.77km + 26km, giving a grand total of 88.17km. I'm sure some consider this too much running and on top of everything I was probably running a risk of doing serious damage to myself, but I enjoy running and no pain, no gain.

Just wanted to get an idea on the mileage you covered in peak to compare to my own plans. It will be similiar to what i plan on doing (80-90km p/week max) Even with the two marathons in between IM training i think my biggest run week so far was about 75km.
    Same as you love the running and i am making huge improvements with a recent 37 minute pb over the marathon distance so the work i am putting in on the running is paying off. It's a fine balance between doing enough and not risking injury!!

Cheers man

Wednesday PM
    Lunchtime - Very easy recovery run
    Made sure to run this really slow and kept checking the watch to make sure i kept it that way along with a Z1 hr. Legs felt great afterwards.
    Distance: 7.88km
    Time: 45:17
    Pace: 5.44km/9.15mile
    HR: 142

Nightime turbo - 1:30 UKIM route
    I had to cancel the hills session after work as i had a few things to do with the kids and i cannot be taking to many evenings out of the week. Decided on doing part of the UKIM course taking in the two climbs we cover 3 times. HR was low tonight only 129 from the garmin which is Z1 and the max was 141 hitting the climbs which is nicely in Z2. Spent most of my time on the drops apart from the two climbs.
    06thApril50KMUKIM.jpg

• Advertisement

Thursday
    Club Run Session
    Plan for tonight was a warm up, some strides, 6x400 and a warm down. Very few of the faster guys out tonight as they are mostly racing the 10k the weekend. 1.69km warm up (first km with JB Junior at 6.16km pace:)), 700mtrs strides, 6x400s in 1.13, 1.14, 1.16, 1.16, 1.14, 1.14 and 1.7km warm down.
    Distance: 6.5km
    Time: 28:55
    Pace: 4.23km/7.04mile
    HR: 149/179

Evening turbo
    Had to skip the lunchtime spin due to work meetings so decided to spin out the legs on the small ring for an hour after getting the kids to bed. The hour flew by watching the final series of James Cracknell on Discovery. I have enjoyed the 3 episodes and the guy has plenty of mental toughness but it was a bit over dramatised at times. Plenty of people doing similiar week in/out without shouting from the rooftops.
    Distance: 30.2km
    Time: 1:00
    Watts: 176
    Cadence: 103

Early swim tomorrow so early night tonight!!

Friday
    I had to reschedule the early morning swim for lunchtime today as two of the kids were up for most of the night and i was knackered. I done a quick 45 minute session doing the usual drill sets.
    Distance: 1.75km
    Time: 45 mins

Evening Bike
    With a nice evening and Mrs JB heading out tonight leaving me home alone with the clan i nabbed a decent spin out. First time out this year in the shorts/short sleeve combo, I cannot wait for Summer.
    HRM acting up again at the start:mad: kept the pace easy with the long bike planned tomorrow.
    Distance: 51km
    Time: 1:47:15
    Avg speed: 28.5kpmh
    HR: 138

I am heading to a confirmation party tomorrow so the plan is to leave early on the bike and take the following route,
    Drogheda-Duleek-Navan-Trim-Enfield-Kinnegad-Edenderry-Kildare-Newbridge-Naas & Kill.....i must be focking mad:)

Saturday
    5 hour Long Bike
    As previously mentioned i headed for Kill via the long way!! Out on the tt bike and probably spent the guts of 4 hours in the drops with no problems. I had to make a few stops to refill the bottle and in total i had two 500ml electrolyte drinks, two 500ml sports drinks, 4 gels, 1 energy bar and two homemade flapjacks. Total CHO taken on board was about 390g which was bang on if not slightly over.
    Pace really dropped from Kinnegad down to Kildare as i had the wind in my face for about 50km and i had to stop twice to HTFU as the motivation for getting the spin finished was dropping. That Kinnegad to Rathangan road has to be the most boring stretch of road i have cycled on so far.
    For good measure i had a bust up with a driver in Newbridge who decided it would be great craic just to pull out onto the main road and cut me off, he then had the balls to say it was my fault...needless to say with the form being bad he was told where to go:rolleyes:.
    To finish things off coming through Naas some dozy tart stuffing her face with a big mac walked out in front of me without looking which ended up with me hitting the deck having to avoid her and my new bike has a nice scratch on it:mad, I better not repeat what i told her to do with her big mac.
    To sum up i have had better days cycling but it feels good to get that anger off my chest:)
    Distance: 143.14km
    Time: 5:05
    Avg speed: 28.2kmph
    HR: 137/153

Eventful ride there Jacky. Some poeple are idiots, life is full of them and sometimes it's just good people not paying attention. I hope you aren't badly hurt and that your bike is ok. I hate hate hate getting marks on my bike, put the first cut is always the deepest!

But 4 hours on the bars and an average of 28km/h-excellent numbers, must do wonders for confidence.

Eventful ride there Jacky. Some poeple are idiots, life is full of them and sometimes it's just good people not paying attention. I hope you aren't badly hurt and that your bike is ok. I hate hate hate getting marks on my bike, put the first cut is always the deepest!

But 4 hours on the bars and an average of 28km/h-excellent numbers, must do wonders for confidence.

Yeah it was an eventful day alright. Not hurt at all thankfully as i had slowed down to pedestrian pace although the scratch on the bike is a pain in the arse. I was not so happy with the session today although 28kpmh is decent enough i guess.

Yeah it was an eventful day alright. Not hurt at all thankfully as i had slowed down to pedestrian pace although the scratch on the bike is a pain in the arse. I was not so happy with the session today although 28kpmh is decent enough i guess.

What were you not happy with JB? 4 hours on the bars, holding 28km/h (50km into the wind) and good fueling practice to boot. Was it just the general feeling of the ride?

What were you not happy with JB? 4 hours on the bars, holding 28km/h (50km into the wind) and good fueling practice to boot. Was it just the general feeling of the ride?

I think it was just general feeling and motivation was low at times. I normally enjoy my time in the saddle but i think the 50km into the wind was a bit sickening after a while.
    I know I said I would stay away from the racing until after IM but going to give that Conor/coombes race on my doorstop a go. With it being 70km it should be well strung out and there won't be any heroics or risks taken by me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I think it was just general feeling and motivation was low at times. I normally enjoy my time in the saddle but i think the 50km into the wind was a bit sickening after a while.
    I know I said I would stay away from the racing until after IM but going to give that Conor/coombes race on my doorstop a go. With it being 70km it should be well strung out and there won't be any heroics or risks taken by me!!
    Dude your mad - the low motivation and irritation is a classic sign of overtraining and over tiredness. I doubt it was the wind alone - sure your on a tt bike to help, and if you feel as srong as an oxx you ll only see the wind as a challenge. your body and mind are telling you something.

Read the reports on yesterdays race which was more hilly - bunch sprint and one of the lads saying he nearly came down twice.

Making rash decisions because of a bad session is crazy. have faith in your training. You ve nothing to gain by today. physiology will tell you, todays session wont be better.

But anyway its up to you.

Sorry to hear about the fall, glad you are okay.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Dude your mad - the low motivation and irritation is a classic sign of overtraining and over tiredness. I doubt it was the wind alone - sure your on a tt bike to help, and if you feel as srong as an oxx you ll only see the wind as a challenge. your body and mind are telling you something.

Read the reports on yesterdays race which was more hilly - bunch sprint and one of the lads saying he nearly came down twice.

Making rash decisions because of a bad session is crazy. have faith in your training. You ve nothing to gain by today. physiology will tell you, todays session wont be better.

But anyway its up to you.

Sorry to hear about the fall, glad you are okay.

Hey KB hope the body is healing up well, when are you back on the bike?. Just on the bolded bits yesterday was not down to overtraining just got out of the bed on the wrong side and was grumpy which i let affect my session. Just an off day for me. Have you never cursed at the wind after 50km straight into it:) i like a challenge like any man but that Kinnegad/Rathangan road is literally all straight and would drive anyone mad!!
    I had a recovery week last and a taper week planned for next week for London. I am being very careful about the overreaching/overtraining as i was overeaching about 6 weeks ago and pulled it back in time.
    On the rash decision about today i was heading out for a 60-70km session anyway so i seen no harm in replacing it with this race. I use the term "race" lightly as i was never going to be featuring near the front:). I found out about the route late last night and it is my lunchtime cycle route and i know the roads and they are wide and safe with no tricky bits. Any how you will see in my next post it turned out to be an excellent solo threshold session today:p

• Advertisement

Conor/Coombes A4 Cycle Race
    We started off at the retail park for what i thought was the official start. Met up with Nomadic for a few kms in and was wondering why the pace was so slow....we had not started yet:)
    A schoolboy error lead me to be detached from the group after just 2 minutes/ the first corner in the race. We turned the first corner and i clunked my gears down to quick causing me to slow down and leaving a short gap in front from the group, not to worry i thought i must be mid pack until i looked around and nobody was there bar one or two stragglers:eek:. There was a gap of about 10/15 mtrs in front and for the life of me i could not close it over the next 3km even though i was hitting around 37-40kpmh. Not sure what pace they set off (Nomadic might be able to tell) but it was a loosing battle trying to latch on again.
    I now fully understand how difficult it is to get back onto a group when they are travelling at pace.
    I gave up the chase rather than my heart exploding and resorted to a solo run with some threshold bursts thrown in. By about the 3rd lap i started over taking a few stragglers and joined up with another 2 lads before i left them at lap 4. I jumped onto the back of the A1/a2's as they passed but only managed to tack on to them for about 2/3km.
    Learnt a massive lesson in my first race but more importantly happy with my session today and the pace i held, i enjoyed it unlike yesterday.
    Great day, lovely weather with some nice tan lines and well organised by Drogheda Wheelers.
    Distance: 71.09km & about 20km wu and ride out/back to the start.
    Time: 2:04;47
    Avg speed: 34.2kpmh
    HR: 147/173

Advertisement