Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to sugar for baking

Options
  • 28-02-2015 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭

Trying to go sugar free but still want to keep baking where possible. I've seen things like Agave Syrup being mentioned a lot and its really pricey and hard to find so looking for a cheaper alternative if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

how about honey?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

There are sugar replacements like Stevia but you can't just swap out ingredients when you're baking. Baking relies on chemical reactions, so it gets much more complicated when you want to change ingredients. You'll have much less volume with a sugar replacement, typically. You'll probably go through a long trial and error stage with recipes.

However, many sugar replacements are not particularly healthy or good for your body. Here's an article about agave syrup, for instance (backed up by science, which is always important). Just something to be aware of. For an occasional treat for a diabetic, sugar replacements are okay. But regular consumption, or just swapping sugar for sugar alternatives, won't do your health much good.

Edit: Honey & maple syrup are both natural, but they are no different to sugar. They're both sweeter, so you arguably use less, but they may not work well in baking either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Coconut sugar. You can buy it in most health food shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Bake some bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

You need to decide what your motive is for cutting out sugar and then look for alternative forms of sweetener what you are happy to use, then find some recipes for those ingredients. As Faith has pointed out, if a recipe has sugar in it, it wont work without it, or with a form of sugar/sweetener that is different in texture ( syrup vs dry sugar).
    Alternatively, bake non-sweet goods.

Agave syrup is a processed syrup made from the agave plant. It is very similar to golden syrup and is just another form of sugar. It is made primarily from frustose and glucose - just like sugar. Is there are reason why you want to use it ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agave_nectar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

Splenda, no calorie sweetener can be used for cooking and baking and measures and pours just like sugar.
    1 cup of Splenda sweetener is equal in sweetness to 1 cup of sugar.

+ 1 " However, many sugar replacements are not particularly healthy or good for your body "

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Coconut sugar. You can buy it in most health food shops.

I was going to suggest this too. It's expensive, but it's delicious and I think it's meant to be much better than conventional sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

I had a look thru Davina McCaul?s book in Easons. Forget what it's called- sugarfeee recipies anyway. And she seems to use Maplesyrup to replace sugar. Might be worth a buy for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

ugar = glucose

Every food turn into glucose in our stomack and then glucose goes into blood and body

So anything we eat is a glucose, fish, meat, flour, apples, potatoes, onions...
    It is not a sugar bad for us, it is the AMOUNT of food we eat

Sweeteners are mostly bad and do more bad damages to our bodies, than real sugar. Our bodies must to consume sugar or gluose, or we will die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

Not everything is broken down into glucose.Fats and proteins have their own uses, not just as energy sources.Fiber isn't broken down at all
    The main food type that turns into glucose is carbohydrates,sugars (and thus sweets) fall into this category. It also includes bread, rice, pasta, beans etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

cormie wrote: »
    I was going to suggest this too. It's expensive, but it's delicious and I think it's meant to be much better than conventional sugar.

It's still sugar though, so presumably still has calories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

al22 wrote: »
    sugar = glucose

Glucose is a sugar but all sugar isn't glucose. Sugars are always an -ose of some description but it's not all glucose (we're also eating sucrose, fructose, lactose etc. etc). And food you eat just isn't just turned directly into glucose in your system, as mentioned lots of other things happen there too. Syrups like maple & agave aren't sugar, as in the sucrose we think of when we think of sugar, but they still contain sugars and your system still treats them like it does other sugars.

eviltwin, sometimes ripe fruit (although high in sugar in its own right) is used to sweeten baked things and so use less refined sugar. Banana bread is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head but I've seen muffin recipes with apple sauce used in as well

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

eviltwin, sometimes ripe fruit (although high in sugar in its own right) is used to sweeten baked things and so use less refined sugar. Banana bread is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head but I've seen muffin recipes with apple sauce used in as well

We use this recipe the odd time and it uses bananas and apples to sweeten it. It's not overly sweet though. I'd possibly stick a tablespoon or two of Splenda into the apples after stewing them to make it a bit sweeter. Splenda is pretty rubbish for baking because it doesn't have the same volume as sugar but it should be fine if it's just used to sweeten the apples. I think we used regular eating apples rather than Bramley too. I know some people have issues with using artificial sweeteners but a couple of tablespoons in a cake isn't going to kill anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

al22 wrote: »
    ugar = glucose

Our bodies must to consume sugar or gluose, or we will die.
    At the way people consume sugar nowadays - I don't think anyone will die from lack of sugar!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

The last batch of buns I made I used 3/4 of the amount of sugar in the recipe . It's not a big help but it was cutting back a bit ... Not one person even noticed, so I'll be doing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Seamus1964 wrote: »
    Splenda, no calorie sweetener can be used for cooking and baking and measures and pours just like sugar.
    "

I used splenda making rice pudding half and half with white sugar and the texture was all wrong as was the mouthfeel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The motivation make a big difference I think.

Diabetics for example, need to monitor sugar very strictly. I make things for some diabetics, but it's usually stuff like sugar-free jelly with fruit and cream.

Or I've managed a splenda-version of a meringue for example.

Diabetic chocolate rice crispie cakes.

The splenda website is ok for that kind fo thing.
    http://www.splenda.co.uk/recipes

If it's for calorie control or weight loss, swapping maple syrup, or any other syrup in isn't going to make a tap of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Seamus1964 wrote: »

+ 1 " However, many sugar replacements are not particularly healthy or good for your body "

ughh

dont go down this route.

I tried it a few years ago, as himself is a diabetic, the yeuck aftertaste is so awful, i tried all the versions of splenda, even the brown sugar lookalike,

I rarely bake now, and when i do, i use sugar as its not often we eat that kind of food,

I use maple syrup sparingly as I cannot abide the taste of honey, for glazes etc, but you really cannot substitute sugar in baking as all chemical replacements are not the same,

Advertisement