Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bar pub course

Options
  • 24-02-2015 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm interested in taking over a country pub, I know before everyone tells I'm mad, It's a dream and I'm not looking to get super rich from it.
    I'm looking for a part-time course or online course to do. I'm living in the South East.
    I have done a start your own buisness course and would like to familiarise myself with the bar work before I start my venture

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

IT Tallaght used to do such a course, not sure if it is still running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bloggsey

I'll check it out Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Go work in a good pub ,maybe a few pubs (good and bad )for gods sake. . And don't do 9 to 5 .

Work for free if you have to .

Get as much info on legislative requirements, purchasing and how to be efficient in the real environment .

They won't teach you in college how to bar the local Heavies and undesirables.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bloggsey

I need to stay in my current job for as long as possible to earn cash,
    I have spent time behind a bar.
    What I'm interested in learning more about is the Legal side of things, purchasing, dealing with vendors etc
    And to do it right I would like some sort of cert hanging on the wall.
    As for the security side of things, I have done door security and the pub I'm interested in
    buying security problems would be very minimal

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

bloggsey wrote: »
    What I'm interested in learning more about is the Legal side of things, purchasing, dealing with vendors etc
    As for the security side of things, I have done door security and the pub I'm interested in

It might be worth your while having a look in the Entrepreneurial & Business Management forum for advice on that end of things http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=106

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

bloggsey wrote: »

This, in IT Tallaght, may be what you want, so - http://www.it-tallaght.ie/index.cfm/page/course?id=55

It's more hospitality, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,405 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    This, in IT Tallaght, may be what you want, so - http://www.it-tallaght.ie/index.cfm/page/course?id=55

It's more hospitality, though.

It's also full-time.

Advertisement