Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just eat card charge

Options
  • 24-02-2015 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Now I know it's only 50c, but isn't it a bit of a ridiculous charge. If they are charging this, they
    Could easily add pay pal to the site.

The annoying thing is, some of the places on there you can order on their website with no card charge!!

What do people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

You pay for the convenience (as does the take away I believe). Order from the take away's website if it is cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If adding paypal I would expect a 4% increase too, well maybe not as it may be against paypal policy. But if they did bring in paypal the fees to pay it have to come from somewhere.

I like to pay my own way, I do not like subsidising other people nor being subsidised myself. It does cost them to process cards so I do not want cash paying people paying for me, nor do I want to pay for others if I pay cash.

The 50cent charge only annoys me since its not clearly stated until the end, and last time I forgot about it again. They had some 15% off offer or something but when you added the 50cent charge on it was not worth my while.

If you care about your local takeaway you should ring instead. Just eat took over eatcity and some takeaways left because of it. eatcity charged much lower commission. On justeat some places charge more than in the shop or if you rang, they are no supposed to but they do, to cover commission. I have noticed smaller portions from some places if getting it via just eat too, presumably for the same reason.
    Well known Irish companies like Bombay Pantry, Mao at Home, Camile Thai Kitchen, Pizza Hut delivery and many other independent takeaways face possible closure and staff layoffs, after UK multinational Just Eat PLC took over Irish software company Eat City yesterday, and announced they were closing down the Eat City online ordering service from 5pm today.
    With up to 45% of sales coming through the Eat City website for these companies, the action is designed to force companies to use the technically inferior Just Eat service, with an instant hike in the commission rate from 5% to 12%.
    “We cannot sustain a unilateral price increase like this. This will cost Irish jobs and put many Irish businesses like ours, which are just starting to recover from the effects of the recession at serious risk of closure” says Brody Sweeney, owner of the 6 branch Camile Thai Kitchen business.
    “These anti-competitive bully boy tactics from billion pound UK company Just Eat, will increase costs for consumers, and raises a whole series of questions around the data of Irish customers now being transferred to the UK. Irish comapnies are being penalized for embracing the internet” He said.
    “We call on Just Eat to reverse their plans, in order to allow Irish businesses make alternative arrangements. People can deal with Just Eat if they want, all we want is reasonable notice, not strong arm tactics”
    Support our cause, use the hashtag #justeatjustgreed

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

rubadub wrote: »
    I have noticed smaller portions from some places if getting it via just eat too, presumably for the same reason.
    If I order via the phone from my local Chinese takeaway I get a free bag of prawn crackers, not if I order via Just Eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Oh ya, they charge the takeaway as well. I ended up collecting a JE order one night as i forgot i had to pick someone up, and they told me it was better just to ring them for the delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I don't mind paying it, I always see it as the penalty for not having cash! I'd expect PayPal to have a charge too. I actually booked a flight with Lufthansa yesterday and the charge was €7.50 for credit card or paypal, I thought that was a bit steep alright! I agree it could be made obvious earlier though.

On a related note, we ordered from JustEat one night and 60 mins later there was no sign of the food. We rang the restaurant to see what the story was and they basically told us they were busy and just-eat customers were less priority. He was actually very rude and ranted down the phone at me about people to lazy to call! That did more to put me off them that a 50c charge ever could!!! I know they are getting charged commission on JustEat but if they don't wanna pay it they should pull out of using the site instead of giving out to customers about it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement