Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heathrow to gatwick in <3 hours :/

Options
  • 16-06-2012 11:00am

Hi guys

I'm heading to Barbados next week...can't wait.

Got the flights dirt cheap, only 550 return inc taxes with BA

But to get them that cheap I have to change from heathrow to gatwick in around 3 hours.

A few points to note.....

--BA sold the tickets like this, so surely they believe it can be done and if DUB-LHR is major delayed they'll out me on the next Barbados flight?
    --DUB to LHR is the first flight in the morning, should be no delays
    --It's on Saturday so should be less traffic than normal.
    --I used to work in airport for years so I'm competent at changing terminals etc, should help lol

But I was wondering if anyone has done this before? Despite my experience I am still nervous as they only have one daily flight to Barbados.

I've looked into it and there is a coach transfer for £20 takes an hour or I could get a cab ~£80 and should take 50ish mins but I'd rather keep that money for Rum :)

Considering I have to get off the plane, collect bags, make my way to Gatwick and then check in again and go through security do you think I have enough time?

If anyone has done it before, can you let me know which transport you got? And put my mind at rest that it'll be ok?

Cheers lads & lass'

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It's very tight, but doable (especially as the motorway should be quiet so early) - personally I'd go with a cab/transfer as at least they'll be waiting for you as opposed to you schlepping to the bus stop, waiting for the coach etc etc. Every minute counts. Cab/transfer car drivers will also know back routes etc should there be an accident/snarl up in the M25 where as the bus would just have to wait it out.

BA would probably put you on another flight..but that may not be until the next day. Do you want to risk a day of your holiday (plus the potential of having to shell out for a hotel at Gatwick) to try and save a few quid?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I flew British Caledonian once from Jeddah to Gatwick and when I told them I had a connecting flight to Dublin from Heathrow, they said I could use the free helicopter shuttle!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dropinthocean

Just a heads up: A friend of mine had to travel from heathrow to gatwick for a connecting flight in September last year, and after ALOT of haggling managed to convince a taxi man to do it for £50. He had an 8 hour stop over so time wasn't an issue for him though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I agree with Buffybot. Take a cab. I have done that transfer service. It's generally quick enough once you are on the road, but you have to locate your pick up point first, wait for the bus, wait for the bus to load up all its passengers and their luggage, then wait for everyone & their luggage to disembark on the other end. That is going to waste precious minutes that you can't spare. With a cab, you can just jump in and go.

Last month I spent some time staying at a hotel about 5 miles from Gatwick. I rode their shuttle bus to and from Gatwick several times a day. The bus from the airport to the hotel was supposed to depart every half hour. It never did coz it was always late arriving. The driver would apologize and blame it on delays on the motorway that affected his getting to the airport on time from the hotel. He never said what those delays were, but I imagine buses coming from Heathrow would face them too. Taxi's would be able to navigate short cuts and back roads that buses with set routes could not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I've never used this lot so I can't vouch for them, but they look reputable enough and a taxi for £55 isn't bad at all.

• Advertisement

Cheers for all the replied lads, you've certainly put me at ease.

Yea, I'm not as tight as I made out, I don't mind paying for taxi, but only if needed.

The national express claims to run every 15 mins and takes 1hr 5 mins, but your right if theres loads of people, then getting on, getting off etc could be too much hassle.

Totally forgot about the "holding time" that's added to LHR flights...thats a positive, its been ages since I've been to LHR.

I think I'll save the number for that transfer cab place and make a call when I land and get bag.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

No, no, no - prebook. They'll be there and waiting. And by pre-booking a mini-cab or transfer service, you'll most likely get a cheaper rate and they'll be there waiting.

I'd recommend someone like www.batransfer.com - I've used them before and they're good.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    No, no, no - prebook. They'll be there and waiting. And by pre-booking a mini-cab or transfer service, you'll most likely get a cheaper rate and they'll be there waiting.

I'd recommend someone like www.batransfer.com - I've used them before and they're good.

Good advice, will book them now. Thanks :)

Advertisement