Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda - Glasnevin - Dublin Bus Question

Options
  • 01-06-2010 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi all,

After recently returning to Ireland from the US, I have been offered a temp gig out in Glasnevin at the industrial estate.

It has been years since I have used Dublin Bus and the website is not user friendly for someone not totally familiar with it.

My question is, if I get the train to Connolly, where and which bus is best for me (and quickest!) to get to the industrial estate? Is it the 19, the 13? Should I buy a weekly ticket?

Finally am I bl**dy mad doing a commute like this?!

Thanks and please let me know if this is the appropriate forum.

PS how do i know when i am nearing the industrial estate? in america the buses speak!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Is driving definitely not an option for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

no, unfortunately. no car!

Get the train to Connolly and the 40/40A would probably be the handiest for you. It's fairly regular (every 15 minutes) and you could get it from the corner of Gardiner Street / Parnell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

posy2010 wrote: »
    no, unfortunately. no car!

Are you talking about the Dublin Industrial estate? Here?

Because you can change train in Connolly, and head out to beautiful Broombridge station on the Maynooth line. It's less than 10 minutes on the train. and leaves you right outside

google maps is failing me. is that bus stop far from connolly? is there a landmark nearby that i would know?

thanks btw

• Advertisement

google maps is failing me. is that bus stop far from connolly? is there a landmark nearby that i would know?

thanks btw
    On the Dublin Bus website, type in the route number 40 and you can see the stops on Google Maps.

The bus stop is on Parnell Street so if you were to walk out of Connolly and up Talbot Street, you would then turn right on to Gardiner Street and Parnell Street would be the second set of lights then turn left and the bus stop should be just there.

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Are you talking about the Dublin Industrial estate? Here?

Because you can change train in Connolly, and head out to beautiful Broombridge station on the Maynooth line. It's less than 10 minutes on the train. and leaves you right outside

Jaysus. That station has been described as Baghdad looking through Google. Recommended for a small lady on her own?

Actually, I forgot about the train.

I always thought the nearest station was Ashtown and had forgotten the beautiful Broombridge.

according to the google map planner, it would be a 17 minute walk from the station to the estate. so may be best to stick with bus i reckon. this commute is going to kill me, i am sure

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

Jaysus. That station has been described as Baghdad looking through Google. Recommended for a small lady on her own?

It depends on the hours. A few people use it every day to get to offices nearby. I assume most of the problems are at night/weekends.

• Advertisement

Where exactly is the industrial estate is the temp gig?

If you are getting the bus out to it, ask the bus driver to let you know when you are nearing the estate. He/she will announce the stop over the PA system on the bus. I think there is a bus stop near the Esso station opposite the cemetery.

I am going to chance taking the train to Broombridge. I am terrified but sure having commuted/lived in SE DC and Spanish Harlem, it can't be worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Could you check the Bus Eireann website, I know the 103 goes from Duleek(not far from drogheda) to Dublin C/C and goes past that industrial estate on the way. Im not sure if the drogheda bus uses this route, could be worth looking into saves the change over at conolly.

Edit: Sorry, Furthest it goes is duleek going that way, others go via dublin airport and balbrigganfrom drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Buses that operate from the city centre to Finglas Road are:

40, 40A, 40D all from Parnell Street
    140 from Leeson Street via O'Connell Street

Thanks.

One more thing I can't figure out on the Dublin Bus website. What is the travel time to the Dublin industrial estate roughly on the 40/A from Parnell St?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Thanks.

One more thing I can't figure out on the Dublin Bus website. What is the travel time to the Dublin industrial estate roughly on the 40/A from Parnell St?

It depends on the time of day but about 15/20 minutes.

Timetables are at:
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/New-timetable-Route-40-a/
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/New-Route-40d/
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/140/

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

I am going to chance taking the train to Broombridge. I am terrified but sure having commuted/lived in SE DC and Spanish Harlem, it can't be worse!

Just bring your own weapons and you'll be fine. Seriously though, avoid it like the plague when its dark.

Cheers. I plan to. If I get uncomfortable I can switch to bus it looks like. Not much of a difference in traveling time!

Advertisement