Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westlandrow station

Options
  • 12-08-2004 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Stupid question,
    but does anybody know what station this is known better as.
    Is it Pearse or Tara,

And is it near Merrion square

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Pearse Station is located on Westland Row, so I assume thats what you are talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Korg

Pearse, & is about 3 min walk to merrion square

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Paulmee

Cheers, it must be Pearse then.
    Thanks ever so much for your responses and excuse my lack of knowledge of dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

are you of a greater age my ma still calls it westlandrow

and there amiens street station too...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Older folk knew it as Westland Row. The street alongside it is still that, as is the church. It was once a great station for people coming to Dublin from the west of Ireland, often enroute to England, or going the opposite way. Dublin has changed a lot since then!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭EvilDoctorK

Pearse Station is the correct name for it ... as you say many people call it Westland Row still ... What you do hear sometimes and is incorrect is to call it is "Pearse Street Station" ... as it's not actually on Pearse Street

• Registered Users Posts: 78,273 ✭✭✭✭Victor

chewy wrote:
    are you of a greater age my ma still calls it westlandrow and there amiens street station too...
    The names were changed in 1966 (50th anniversary) and all the main stations were name after 1916 types. Heuston had been Kingsbridge.
    Flukey wrote:
    Older folk knew it as Westland Row. The street alongside it is still that, as is the church. It was once a great station for people coming to Dublin from the west of Ireland
    Erm, no. It would have only served Dun Laoghaire and the south east.
    Pearse Station is the correct name for it ... as you say many people call it Westland Row still ... What you do hear sometimes and is incorrect is to call it is "Pearse Street Station" ... as it's not actually on Pearse Street
    Well it kinda had been, although the main entrance was on Westlandrow. The original station and the post sorting office had extended as far as Pearse Street.

I could be wrong Victor, but I know some older folk from the west who said they first arrived in Dublin at Westland Row, and sometimes then got the link on to Dun Laoghaire enroute to England. There were trams linking between Kingsbridge (as they would call Heuston) and Westland Row. Maybe they did not regard Kingsbridge as being 'in the city', but did with Westland Row.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

Actually Victor, your incorrect.

Up to the mid-1970's (can not remember exact year) Pearse station was the terminus for all services from Galway, Westport, Ballina. They then switched to Heuston when that station got two additional platforms (todays 3 & 4) and were routed via Portarlington to Athlone instead of the previous route via Mullingar.

Enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

seems odd that they would terminate in pearse whenn all of the terminating platforms face south, but then again what would you expect from CIE :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

Now now, this arrangement was going on long before CIE was even thought of. It started when Broadstone was closed to passenger traffic and the trains from the west starting going into Pearse, and yes they did use the south facing bay platforms.

If CIE / IE was a bad as you think they are, they would still be using Pearse for trains to Galway / Westport today.

The CIE group has come on leaps and bounds over the last 10 years and is getting better. Sure they even designed and started construction work on the LUAS before the Gov took it away from them.

Enterprise.

That is what I thought Enterprise. A lot of folk talk of it of the place that they first arrived in Dublin.

Advertisement