Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kitchen in work - what do you do?

• 25-08-2008 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Further to the "Fast Food & tidying up" thread - for those of you who have a kitchen/tea & coffee station at work, what do you do with your cup/spoon/bowl when your finished with them?

I was just down having my brekkie and saw three people in a row just dump their cereal bowls into the sink instead of putting them into the dishwasher, which is approximately 3 feet away. It has annoyed me out of all proportion, I'm not really sure why.

I should really get a life...

What do you do with your dishes in work? 24 votes

Put them in the dishwasher
    0% 0 votes
    Leave 'em in the sink
    75% 18 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    25% 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

In the morning I bring it all to my desk and leave it there, then when I'm going home I put it in the dishwasher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I leave them in the sink. Well actually I leave my bowl with some porridge in the end of it on my desk for the day and let the porridge weld itself in. Then I dump it in the sink :D

We have a cleaner, I'm thinking about her job security ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Always empty the crap out and put them in the dishwasher.

Personally, I'd just feel really bad leaving my dirty delph for anybody to clean up - even the cleaner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

I cant understand the eat breakfast in work thing at all...

Why not eat breakfast at home??
    Just get up 5 min earlier...

I do however drink a ludicrous amount of coffee during the day, but I use my big metal travel cup and just keep refilling it, so no washing up..

Actually Ever, now that I think of it..
    I've had my cup about four months now and aside from giving the lid a rinse I don't think it's been cleaned...
    I'm almost afraid to ...
    What if the cheapy crappy coffee we get in work tastes even worse without the lingering flavor of thousands of its departed comrades in my mug...

It's just not worth the risk..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭Archeron

I leaev all my bowls and cups and spoons in the bottom drawer of my desk, and clear it out once a year. You never know when you might need a bucket of home grown penicillin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Further to the "Fast Food & tidying up" thread - for those of you who have a kitchen/tea & coffee station at work, what do you do with your cup/spoon/bowl when your finished with them?

I was just down having my brekkie and saw three people in a row just dump their cereal bowls into the sink instead of putting them into the dishwasher, which is approximately 3 feet away. It has annoyed me out of all proportion, I'm not really sure why.

I should really get a life...

Yeah this bugs the absolute crap out of me! There was one time I even took a picture of my bowl on it's lonesome sitting snugly in the dishwasher, and took a pic of the absolute carnage that was lying in and around the sink. The idea was to send this around to all here and go "hnyah look at how good I am". But I didn't send said mail around. I just realize that some people are just messy c*nts by design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Wazdakka wrote: »

Cause I get up at 6am as it is. If I got up at 5.55 to eat breakfast, I'd be needing my lunch around 10am...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Loads of people are too lazy to bring their cups/mugs to the sink. They leave them in their offices then complain there are no clean cups!

One Bank Holiday friday a plate with milk (spilled) on it was left out in the office. Come Tuesday morning and the smell was toxic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I just leave my stuff on my desk in my office, and its always gone the next day.
    Not sure how/why. Im guessing that the Chinese cleaners take care of it.
    Must leave them out a carton of Lucky Strikes at Christmas time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Dont eat in work, bar lunch and thats a sandwich I buy in spar, so I just use the wrapper as a makeshift plate, as for cups, I have my own one that I wash whenever i make tea...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

In the last office where we actually had a kitchen I used to have most stuff I needed in my desk (from home), mug, bowl, spoon, fork etc.

Its not that I have a problem with sharing utensils with other people but the fact that if i'd go to look for one it was usually under a pile of other dirty cutlery in the sink so i'd have to clean it anyway before I used it.

I just found it easier to keep it in my desk, use as required, wash, dry and return it to the desk again.

In the current office I just take Tupperware containers and my own spoon/fork, dump them back in my bag when i'm done and clean them when I get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Neesa wrote: »
    Loads of people are too lazy to bring their cups/mugs to the sink. They leave them in their offices then complain there are no clean cups!

One Bank Holiday friday a plate with milk (spilled) on it was left out in the office. Come Tuesday morning and the smell was toxic.

Ha that happened in our office to , god the smell was horrible. Our cleaner was on a week off that week , oh how we missed her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wazdakka wrote: »

Habit I guess. Now, eating as soon as I'm up makes me feel ill. I feel much better in the mornings if I leave at least half an hour before eating. I'm also not crazy about cereal, and toast is boring :)
    So when I get into work I have a scone and a cup of coffee.

When I worked in a place where we used to have a kitchen, I think I generally threw my stuff in the dishwasher. There were contract cleaners who came in at night though and generally filled it up and switched it on.

The only problem we used to have is that some moron would come in, in the morning, make a coffee for himself, drink most of it, then dump the cup and remains of the contents all over the clean dishes in the dishwasher. So it had to be put on again leaving nothing clean for breakfasts and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

seamus wrote: »
    The only problem we used to have is that some moron would come in, in the morning, make a coffee for himself, drink most of it, then dump the cup and remains of the contents all over the clean dishes in the dishwasher. So it had to be put on again leaving nothing clean for breakfasts and the like.

*Places hands in pockets, Whistles, and avoids eye contact with everybody*

I may have done this once or twice :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

We’ve a canteen in work and a roster for tidying up, only takes 15 minutes.
    I never even set foot in it. I don’t drink tea, coffee and I don’t ask my employer to pay me to eat breakfast on company time.
    And I don't plan on spending my lunchtime listening to the women in the office bitch and comment on everything. They're so bitter about everything it'd scare you

In return, I never tidy the place even when I’m on the roster. Sure I get given out to but what can they do?

Sure next thing, they’ll be asking the non-smokers to sweep the smoking hut :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

micmclo wrote: »
    Sure next thing, they’ll be asking the non-smokers to sweep the smoking hut :rolleyes:

Oh you better believe it! This already happened to someone I know. Not a non-smoker he's an ex-smoker. He's also an ex-employee of that company (for other reasons aswell of course).

• Why not eat breakfast at home??

Some of us have a long commute. I used to work 7-3 and had to be out of the house by 5.45. It was easier for me to get breakfast on the way in, then at least that way I was eating at ten to 7 as opposed to 5.30 - lunch was at 1pm! I was starving enough as it was...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If I use anything like this in work I wash them in the sink, dry them and leave them where I got them, or else it is stuff I have brought in myself (cutlery) that I wash and keep at my desk. I rarely eat anything other than my lunch rioll/sandwich at work though and then I use the wrapper to collect crumbs so no mess.

Advertisement