Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White men cant run!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 scraggymess

It's genetics. The type of muscle you're born with determines which sports you'll be more suited to. there's slow/fast/super fast twitch muscle. most people have a half-half mix of fast and slow twitch muscle. Black and especially Jamaican/Caribbean sprinters have a tendency to have much higher proportion of fast and superfast twitch muscle compared to white sprinters.

Slow twitch muscles are better suited to endurance sports and fast twitch to shorter more powerful events, like the 100m.

It also helps that athletics is MASSIVE over there.

Kenyans have longer legs and train in better conditions than other long distance runners.

I'm not saying they don't train harder, they just have natural advantages as well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

murser wrote: »
    I think the reason the black guys are faster is related to the high altitude that they live in. Their lungs are far more efficient than people living at lower altitudes. When they come to the olympics at the lower altitude they are at a huge advantage.

Most of Jamaica is at or near sea level and has no lions (maybe sea-lions).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

murser wrote: »
    I think the reason the black guys are faster is related to the high altitude that they live in. Their lungs are far more efficient than people living at lower altitudes. When they come to the olympics at the lower altitude they are at a huge advantage.

This would only apply to long distance races. Sprinting is an anaerobic sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭murser

Most of Jamaica is at or near sea level and has no lions (maybe sea-lions).
    Kenya and Ethiopia were the countries I had in mind and there is a lot of serious runners from these countries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

PillyPen wrote: »
    We were taught in high school that black people have a greater lung capacity. I have no idea if that's true or not. It's either a classic example of the backwoods Pennsylvania education system or the answer to why black people run faster and sing better.

Course they do. Ever seen Method Man smoke? Iron lung indeed :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Karoma wrote: »
    Explain this one for me.

Do you think all Africans live in a jungle? Do you think all black Americans live in a jungle?

*looks at the 'Thanks' for these posts too...hmmm...

I doubt they do.

They were telling jokes. Non PC jokes! teh h0rr0rz

There is an old one about the fastest thing on earth being an Ethiopian chasing a bread van.

There are also alot of funny jokes based around a largely truthful stereotype of Irelands dependance on alcohol. You ought to look them up if you arent too offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

micmclo wrote: »
    What? :eek:
    You don't remember Eric the Eel. Man is a legend, not only did he represent his country in the 2000 Olympics but he won his heat (the other competitors got disqualifed for false starts.

Should be a legend of the boards tbh

Skip to the end, poor guy was almost drowning

I found the commentating confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Karoma wrote: »
    So racist jokes are okay as long as they're funny?

All jokes are ok as long as they are funny. Otherwise they are just comments

Yore Ma is hardly shakespeare .

Terry wrote: »
    How come there are no white people from poor areas who can run just as fast then?

Cos the baying mobs head straight fot the black folk?

JangoFett wrote: »
    This is something I've been trying to find out and maybe I'm not phrasing it right in search engines, but when was the last time a white guy held the 100m dash world record?

Sometime around when it was still called the 100m dash? :p

The real root of all this is that white men can't jump.

Advertisement