Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When talking to people from foreign...

Options
  • 10-08-2008 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭

Do you find yourself accidentally speaking in their accent? Even if they have perfect English? My dad is the worst for this, but for some reason he does a Polish accent no matter if he's talking to a Pole, a Spaniard or a Japanese person. Very embarassing...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Joe Cool

Nah, I just speak really loudly and really slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Do you find yourself accidentally speaking in their accent? Even if they have perfect English? My dad is the worst for this, but for some reason he does a Polish accent no matter if he's talking to a Pole, a Spaniard or a Japanese person. Very embarassing...

He's just embarrassed at having a Cork accent. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Joe Cool wrote: »

I concur. Everyone can understand english once its spoken slowly and loudly. Sometimes hand actions will help too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Someone did that to me today at work "I...WOULD...LIKE...A...SCONE!" and continued to do so even after it became apparent I was neither foreign nor standing far away from him. Bastard.

• Advertisement

He's just embarrassed at having a Cork accent. :D

He oughta be, he's from Donegal :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

He oughta be, he's from Donegal :p

Sh1t I knew that was gonna happen.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Happens to me with Corkonians.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

No vay, I allvays speek normall

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

When I'm in London my accent gains strength over a while. That's about it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Mr Crystal wrote: »
    I don't personally but my mother does. Very embarrassing!

haha same. Very amusing also!:D She even did it to American relations:p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Norn Irish accents are contagious I tells ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭DenMan

Have to say my Dad does it aswell, not sure why. Closer to home when he speaks to English people he adopts a southern English tone, drives my Mam mental. I thought English to many non-nationals and have been told I have a neutral accent, easily understood . Just common respect for people I would imagine, speak slowly and distinctly and you should be fine.Donegal and Cork accents could be difficult to understand with the speed of the dialect but definitely workable. Southern accents here, Waterford, Kilkenny, Wexford are very distinct and can be understood by most non-nationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Nah I just point at the sign and say "Big Mac"

P.S Op where is "foreign"? Its not on any maps I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

If the person has good English I speak with more of a Cork accent which is mad! Unless they're German, I speak 'vith an deutschland aaacent' which I'm sure most Germans think I do to mock them, but I can't help it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Shudduppa da face youa will not insult mama ever again or my uncle Tony from Napoiii will shudduppa you face foe me

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

DenMan wrote: »
    I thought English

You're funny. Or bad at your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭DenMan

Oooops. Sorry about that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

i do that whether they be foreign or not.

i replicate peoples accents all the time and i do it without thinking about it.

its kinda annoying!

i dont do the while loud and slow thing. i assume someone speaks perfect english and ill slow down only if they are not catching what im saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I just speak in my normal accent but chose my words carefully so it actually makes sense. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

My dad is terrible for this...I'm sure the people he talks to think he's taking the piss. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Ya I tend to do this a lot. More so with varying Irish accents like Cork or the Northern accents - less so with foreign ones. I find myself imitating certain strains if I'm around them long enough and it is embarrassing cause it looks like you're taking the piss sometimes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

i find i do that! If i'm talking to someone with a foreign accent for some reason i 'adapt' to it and start talking with a slight bit of their accent! I.ve no idea why it happens just does! :) except for real american accents... Sorry but i just can't stand
    The american accent! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I don't use an accent, I use subtitles :D

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Nah I just point at the sign and say "Big Mac"

P.S Op where is "foreign"? Its not on any maps I have.

Doesn't tend to show up on maps, also you can never actually be there, coz as soon as you get to where you previously thought it was it moves on. weeeeeeeird

pookie82 wrote: »
    Ya I tend to do this a lot. More so with varying Irish accents like Cork or the Northern accents - less so with foreign ones. I find myself imitating certain strains if I'm around them long enough and it is embarrassing cause it looks like you're taking the piss sometimes!

I also apparently have different accents depending on where in the country I am :pac: in Clare I develop a pure bogger accent and none of my Cork friends understand me, in Cork I do, unfortunately, aquire that langery lilt, and when talking to my Dad and cousins I go all Norn. Don't realise I'm doing it unless I happen to be in a room with a cross section of my social circle and one of them points it out. At which point I just talk in a Polish accent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

im guilty of this at times :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Joe Cool wrote: »

Like ffs some foreigners speak English!!!

I hate when people do that!

I remember some day in BT, some old cVnt wanted directions and she said "don't ask that negro, she cant speak English":eek::eek::eek:

I was ****ing demented! And the manager said to her "Oh she speaks good English!" No one knew where she was going except i!!!!!! I still directed her though, fecking cvnt!!!! I should have told her to kiss my fecking black ass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭mac_attack

I worked in McDonalds for the last four years and was always told my Louth accent was quite neutral, not bad for someone who went to school in Draw-da and has a Mam from Ardee. However I would speak slower and keep the complex words to a minimum when speaking to a new foreign employee naturally. Have to say though that nothing beats hearing a Polish person "Whats the craic with the big macs?" and a Chinese guy replying "will ya relax, they're coming now", of course followed by the obligatry "no bother". Ahh I love Ireland an its influence on the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

mac_attack wrote: »
    Have to say though that nothing beats hearing a Polish person "Whats the craic with the big macs?" and a Chinese guy replying "will ya relax, they're coming now", of course followed by the obligatry "no bother". Ahh I love Ireland an its influence on the world.

hehehehe

I say alot of Irish things these days... especially gaff! I was in a cab at the weekend and was talking to a mate on my phone after the conversation the cab driver asked me how long i have lived in Ireland tbh i thought he was gonna go yer English is so good:rolleyes:... but he goes "how the fvck do you have an Irish accent" :D

I don't think i do(misplaced accent!:mad:)

Advertisement