Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post Stolen.. sort of.

• 24-08-2008 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

My drivers licence was issued to me (in my name), and was address was correct, except they sent it to 15 Avenue instead of 15 Way.

I hadn't received it after 2 weeks and rang the tax office where they confirmed that the'd sent it to 15 Avenue. So I called around to 15 Avenue, and knocked on the door on the off chance that they'd still have it - they could have returned to sender.

The mother of the house answered the door and was real friendly, saying that she remembered two bits of post coming for me, and that she'd go look for them. After a few minutes waiting, she shouted at her daughter, asking where my things were, that daughter shouted back that she'd opened the post - the envelopes were still there but she couldn't remember where she'd put the contents i.e. my fuckin licence.

The mother came out with the empty envelope, saying that it'd been opened but she didn't know where the licence was. We were all friendly at that point so I left my mobile number in case she came across it. That was a week ago.

I called into the local guards and they just wanted me to fill out a missing licence form. I tried probing the point that these people had opened my mail and 'lost' my licence. Guards weren't listening and just pointed to the form.

The tax office will send out a new licence FOC, as it was their fuck up in the first place so I'm not worried or concerned about that. I just hate the fact that someone has stolen/misplaced a relatively important form of ID belonging to me. If it were a passport would they take it more seriously? I know that the UK may have more controls on post theft issues, why don't we?

Oh and I have a plan to set 15 Avenue on fire so I've that angle covered.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

I'd be concerned about identity theft in this case.... Its fairly simple to place someone elses photo in that id and hey presto they have a credit card or loan in your name....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

ewj1978 wrote: »
    I'd be concerned about identity theft in this case.... Its fairly simple to place someone elses photo in that id and hey presto they have a credit card or loan in your name....

Eh they need two forms of photo ID and a recent utility bill IIRC., not to mention his license is photoID and will be unusable if its used for a traffic offence, as soon as its checked it will come back as lost/stolen and the offender will be arrested against the RTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭i didn't do it

connundrum wrote: »
    My drivers licence was issued to me (in my name), and address was correct, except they sent it to 15 Avenue instead of 15 Way.

I hadn't received it after 2 weeks and rang the tax office where they confirmed that the'd sent it to 15 Avenue. .
    did you not write your address on the label that they attach to the envolope. so would it not be your own fault that the address was wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Is it not illegal to open mail not addressed to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I would have thought so.

Stupid tramp for opening letters not belonging to them and then misplacing the contents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

Ignorant nosey neighbours. We've had a few incidents of stolen post, except some scumbag robbed the posties mail bags! It wasn't until we rang the local sorting office that we were told that the bags had been lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

You can get a lot of money for a passport, take that into consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

This really gets on my nerves! If something comes to my house that's not for me, I write 'not at this address' on the envelope and drop it in the post box. Yet it seems beyond the capabilities of so many people to do the same. I moved house a few months ago and left a forwarding address with previous landlord. Then last week got a letter for my sister (who had been living there with me) which was forwarded on and it turns out it was a speeding fine and basically she had 28 days to pay €80 or else it would go up to €120 and she'd get two penalty points. Anyway, because they had taken their sweet time forwarding it on she had to go and haggle with the guards and explain the whole situation.

Then my OH's credit card was hacked so they sent him out a new one (he had given them the new address). Of course they sent it to the old address by accident and this only came to light when he rang two weeks later to know where his new card was. Obviously people at the old place once again couldn't be bothered to send it back to bank or onto us. Which meant that this card had to be cancelled etc etc.

People are soooooo lazy and inconsiderate!!!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

did you not write your address on the label that they attach to the envolope. so would it not be your own fault that the address was wrong

I did write my own address on the label, but the envelope the mother showed me was one with a window where the address would have been typed i.e. my label was not used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Tupins wrote: »
    This really gets on my nerves! If something comes to my house that's not for me, I write 'not at this address' on the envelope and drop it in the post box. Yet it seems beyond the capabilities of so many people to do the same. I moved house a few months ago and left a forwarding address with previous landlord. Then last week got a letter for my sister (who had been living there with me) which was forwarded on and it turns out it was a speeding fine and basically she had 28 days to pay €80 or else it would go up to €120 and she'd get two penalty points. Anyway, because they had taken their sweet time forwarding it on she had to go and haggle with the guards and explain the whole situation.

Then my OH's credit card was hacked so they sent him out a new one (he had given them the new address). Of course they sent it to the old address by accident and this only came to light when he rang two weeks later to know where his new card was. Obviously people at the old place once again couldn't be bothered to send it back to bank or onto us. Which meant that this card had to be cancelled etc etc.

People are soooooo lazy and inconsiderate!!!:mad:

We had a spate of stuff get misdelivered earlier in the year - I had to drop stuff in to people in neighbouring streets a few times, and once answered the door to a complete stranger who was kindly dropping in a letter for me which the postman had randomly delivered to her house - which turned out to be a TV license reminder from an post. God knows what else went missing around the area at the time, just because the postman was incapable of actually reading an address, or knowing where he was.

I've sent stuff back before marked 'not at this address', but there's limits - we're still getting stuff delivered to the previous residents who moved out over 2 years ago, and after returning a certain amount of stuff you get to teh stage where it's easier to just bin it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

Isn't it a crime to open mail that is not addressed to you? When I was working at the post office, we were warned that opening someone else's post could land you in prison under Irish law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Ass Face wrote: »
    Isn't it a crime to open mail that is not addressed to you? When I was working at the post office, we were warned that opening someone else's post could land you in prison under Irish law.

"What are you in for?"

"I strangled a cop with his own belt. You?"

"I opened next door's Shop Electric catalogue."

Advertisement