Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will an Irish license lower my insurance costs?

• 29-05-2015 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'll be renewing my insurance in two months and was just wondering whether getting an Irish driver's license would give me a big enough insurance discount to make it worthwhile.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,544 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It depends where your existing licence is from. UK licences are usually not loaded at all, EU licences can be loaded quite heavily. The conversion costs will be more than offset over ten years if not one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭pmrozik

Thanks for the quick reply.

It's 55 EUR for a 10 year Irish license.

I currently have a four year no claims discount and my license is Polish. I've been paying about 800 per year for a 1.3 l.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

pmrozik wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply.

It's 55 EUR for a 10 year Irish license.

I currently have a four year no claims discount and my license is Polish. I've been paying about 800 per year for a 1.3 l.

Could be wrong but that's about right I am much the same on a 1.4 Corolla, 79€ PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭pmrozik

Okay then, I suppose it doesn't look like it's worth it. I'll just have to shop aorund for the best insurance rates.

Thank you, much appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Moved from Consumer Issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,544 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Run the same quote with an Irish licence selected. Clearly don't proceed on those until you've swapped...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,424 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Usually it will as penalty points received in Ireland can only currently go on an Irish licence so poor drivers can be measured from how many points they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Yeah, the loading is considerable on a foreign license.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057361458

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

It's a bit of a mad thing really. I got loaded on my German license not quite 10 years ago when in reality the German procedure and test was on a different planet in terms of quality compared to here. But car insurance quotes seem to be based on 'whatever reason we can find to load'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

I was told on the phone that the insurance would be normally around 60Euro cheaper compared to an irish one (Full EU but non irish).
    Not sure if that varies from person to person or if this is a general kind of amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Yuri Checkov

They have come up with another reason to load/refuse to quote.

If you have been conscientious enough to change to an Irish licence, they then ask you if you passed your test in Ireland. Select no and a drop down menu appears with the list of EU/EEA states appears. Select the "wrong" one and you are back to square one with a refusal to quote.

Fcukers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Boskowski wrote: »
    It's a bit of a mad thing really. I got loaded on my German license not quite 10 years ago when in reality the German procedure and test was on a different planet in terms of quality compared to here. But car insurance quotes seem to be based on 'whatever reason we can find to load'.

And rightly so, fatalities in Germany per billion Km are 44% higher than in Ireland and some of them drive at ridiculous speeds :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

ardmacha wrote: »
    And rightly so, fatalities in Germany per billion Km are 44% higher than in Ireland and some of them drive at ridiculous speeds :rolleyes:

Interesting, I didn't know that. How would you compare two country's traffic safety records like that? Have you a link? Genuinely interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Boskowski wrote: »
    Interesting, I didn't know that. How would you compare two country's traffic safety records like that? Have you a link? Genuinely interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Germany is pretty decent, of course. But things in Estonia and Bulgaria aren't so good, explaining some of the difference in treatment by insurance companies.

Mind this was 2012 for Ireland, things have disimproved since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Yuri Checkov

Quite.

It would explain why the Estonian licence was worth feck all when looking for quotes in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Quite.

It would explain why the Estonian licence was worth feck all when looking for quotes in Ireland.

Estonia is interesting. Culturally it has a lot in common with safe Finland, albeit with Russian minority, and it is over 20 years since the Soviets left. It is flat as a pancake, so the roads should not be that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I had no trouble in Poland getting car insurance with a UK licence, infact PZU gave me a 60% no claims discount if i signed a form to state that id been a safe driver for the 28 years id held it.

Told me my irish 50% ncb was not needed.

Another example of the EU freedom and being treated the same is a load of balls, as rules seem to vary so much country to country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

snaps wrote: »
    I had no trouble in Poland getting car insurance with a UK licence, infact PZU gave me a 60% no claims discount if i signed a form to state that id been a safe driver for the 28 years id held it.

Told me my irish 50% ncb was not needed.

Another example of the EU freedom and being treated the same is a load of balls, as rules seem to vary so much country to country!

Well not really, you would have no problem getting insurance here with a UK licence either. The point is that insurance companies are not willing to price people from countries with poor safety records.

Advertisement