Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday Home Deposit

Options
  • 25-05-2015 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi,

I booked a holiday home in Ireland through an English based company online in January, it was really attractive as it only required a 30€ deposit with the balance due 60 days before travel.

Anyhow, in the intervening period due to changes and one thing and another it was no longer possible to make that date so I rang and cancelled..job done, or so I thought.

A few days ago I got a demand letter from the UK for almost 300€ (50% of the full amount) Yes, I never read the small print !

Is this legal for a UK company to chase me for this in Ireland, and by the way it is a small get out clause but the Terms and Conditions on their website are labelled "2014 conditions" which in a legalese I would presume means null and void for 2015 ?

Any advice is greatly appreciated as I know I should have read the conditions on booking but was just a little naive :/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

2014 conditions are still valid for you as these are the terms and conditions you signed up to.
    2014 is more a label than a condition of contract in my understanding and they do not become invalid after 31 dec 2014.
    2015 terms and conditions, if they exist, only apply to those contracts that contain 2015 conditions.

It is legal for them to chase you, no matter where you are, or they are. You entered an agreement with them and you did not honor that agreement.
    The big question is what happens if you dont pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 stupidskin

Cheers, It was a long shot .. I think I might just pay up and put it down to bad judgement !

Advertisement