Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Predictions for the English Single Text Question

Options
  • 14-04-2006 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Does anybody have any predictions for the English Single Text Questions. Im doing King Lear. Although ive got no backup for it I just have a kinda feeling that it might be:
    "Shakespeares King Lear presents a dark and pessimistic view of humanity." Discuss this statement,supporting your answer by quotation or reference to the text.

This came up question came up twice in the 5 Sample papers issued by EDCO. It hasnt been asked in a long time for the leaving cert.

However supposidly the english mock paper we got was somehow "official" not just made up by someone(the texts about boxing and humour). Anyway the questions on that might be indications to what might come up:
    "The depiction of evil in King Lear fascinates but also horrifies the reader" Discuss this statement supporting your answer by quotation from or reference to the play.
    ^I reckon theres definantly going to be one question about "the evil forces" in King Lear.
    or
    "The theme of Blindness is central to the Play King Lear"
    Discuss this statement, supporting your answer by quotation from or reference to the play.
    ^ I doubt very much that a question like this will come up. Its far too easy, kinda like those simple ones "a man more sinned against than sinning". I just have a feeling that at least one the questions will be abstract.
    Maybe a question about the images in the play might come up.
    If anybody has any predictions please post em up!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

...Mocks aren't official. The only way they could possibly have an indication of what's coming up is if whoever was writing them tried to predict what was coming up the same way you did, and I doubt they were bothered.

Tbh making predictions specific to a text strikes me as a bit stupid. The whole advantage of the prescribed single text is that you know what's coming up, King Lear(or whatever else you did). Best thing to do is just know the text back-to-front and sideways, then you can answer whatever they throw at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i predict your predictions will be wrong.

who cares? just learn d stuff off and stop trying to talk d easy way out by convincing yourself you know what will come up.

so what if 100 people agree or disagree with your predictions, it dont mean squat, and you won't be better off than you were before you posted that post. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

King Lear is not a hard text, just learn off the images, themes and characters, theres not much too it at all compared to the poets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭IbanezFreak

exiot wrote:
    King Lear is not a hard text, just learn off the images, themes and characters, theres not much too it at all compared to the poets

I have to disagree with you there. Right It may sound easy how your summarising studying King Lear but theres a hell of alot of stuff to take in. Questions can come up about Language, Imagry, Characters, Parellel Plots and themes and alot more. You can prepare fully for the poetry by just writing out an essay on each poet. The single text question can be alot more surprising.
    I do understand what people are yous are saying about these predictions being pointless but its just a hunch I have. N if they come up you can all eat my socks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

im doing Pride & Prejudice..

basically the questions are im gonna say pretty obvious and predictable..

either... Darcy or Elizabeth as charcters... (perhaps Mr Bennet? as the whole "men in the novel" thing..)

OR..

something about society they lived in.. or wealth/money

and.. theme of "true love" being found/or not found in marriage..

i would be very surpised if nothing like that came up

im rooting for a good character question. theyre the easier i think

but well, most people are doing Lear, so my comments are pretty irrelevant im sure :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

I would of prefered to pride and prejudice! I find King Lear so hard! Its the one are in English that will bring me down! Personally I find poety easy in comparison! I find the single text really hard to write on! I can't get away from paraphrasing when I write essays!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

we started off to Lear as main.. but well.. most of the class thought it was a bit sh!te, so we changed to Pride & Prejudice for main, and are doing Lear as a comparative..

Pride.. is pretty easy to write about really, im glad we changed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Only thing is I love the movie and the series (pride and prej) so much I'd probably fail to give the book a proper description! King Lear - I like it a lot - its just very complex!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

Speaking of texts, does anyone know where I can get the list of the prescribed texts for 2006 :confused: Like the list of different ones avalible to study??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Does anybody have any predictions for the English Single Text Questions. Im doing King Lear. Although ive got no backup for it I just have a kinda feeling that it might be:
    "Shakespeares King Lear presents a dark and pessimistic view of humanity." Discuss this statement,supporting your answer by quotation or reference to the text.

This came up question came up twice in the 5 Sample papers issued by EDCO. It hasnt been asked in a long time for the leaving cert.

However supposidly the english mock paper we got was somehow "official" not just made up by someone(the texts about boxing and humour). Anyway the questions on that might be indications to what might come up:
    "The depiction of evil in King Lear fascinates but also horrifies the reader" Discuss this statement supporting your answer by quotation from or reference to the play.
    ^I reckon theres definantly going to be one question about "the evil forces" in King Lear.
    or
    "The theme of Blindness is central to the Play King Lear"
    Discuss this statement, supporting your answer by quotation from or reference to the play.
    ^ I doubt very much that a question like this will come up. Its far too easy, kinda like those simple ones "a man more sinned against than sinning". I just have a feeling that at least one the questions will be abstract.
    Maybe a question about the images in the play might come up.
    If anybody has any predictions please post em up!

Mabey ya should do a bit of study instead of wastin your time on the net with stupid preditcions that never work out anyway.
    Remember my english teacher tellin me "if ya know your texts well enough theres no question ya can be asked that ya cant anwser" He was right. Think about it

• Advertisement
Advertisement