Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great games, unwelcome legacies

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Tutorial levels are something I loathe, originating from Tomb Raider?
    I don't want to have to suffer 20 minutes of heavy handidness (press A to jump, move the thumbstick to run, etc.) before I even start the game.
    Anyone with any brains will pick it all up in about 30 seconds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Tomb Raiders tutorial was optional.

It was also good fun and not hand holdy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The tutorial in Metroid Prime was pretty good, teaching the moves under the guise of the opening mission, and making that as action packed as possible, with all the weapons open and the suit powered up.
    Dropping then into the air body of the game, powered down and enjoying the less linear and more paced experience of the bulk of the game.
    That's how to do it.
    This is also in stark contrast with Other M which is good but has a more traditional approach to the opening scenes and it drags on way too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

It was done well in Alpha Protocol too, really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Pushtrak wrote: »
    It was done well in Alpha Protocol too, really.

Damn, I was looking at that in Tesco yesterday and was going to buy it for a fiver, bought Dungeon Siege 3 instead.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Damn, I was looking at that in Tesco yesterday and was going to buy it for a fiver, bought Dungeon Siege 3 instead.
    Alpha Protocol is a good game, worth buying when you see it again on the cheap. Wish it had sold better, as it looks like there will not be anything more done with the IP due to low sales.

Alpha Protocol is a good game, worth buying when you see it again on the cheap. Wish it had sold better, as it looks like there will not be anything more done with the IP due to low sales.

Bugger.
    I just can't buy any more, I have just gotten Dragons Crown for the PS3 and Test Drive II the Duel for my Megadrive, I've Kirby Triple Deluxe next week for the 3DS and Mario Kart 8 in 3 weeks.
    And thats not including the vast swathe of games not touched yet from the Tesco sale overall.
    And the there's Dark Souls 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

It came with the Sega Humble Bundle a few weeks back. Wasn't planning on going near it but might give it a go if it's got any interesting ideas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

C14N wrote: »
    It came with the Sega Humble Bundle a few weeks back. Wasn't planning on going near it but might give it a go if it's got any interesting ideas.

Just stick with it. The opening mission is utter cack. After that it starts to get good. Also the combat is really poor but you play it for the dialogue and the choices you make because unlike other games like anything from Bioware or Bethesda your choices make a huge difference.

C14N wrote: »
    As far as weapon choice goes. Pistol. Always pistol.

• Advertisement

Haven't been around in a while, C14N did you get around to Alpha Protocol? Ciderman, still going through that backlog?

Advertisement