Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eastern European Hoardes on The Way

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Nodin wrote: »
    You mean the Roma? Who comprise a tiny, tiny minority of immigrants in this country?

It was only one point out of the three I said that raised a response so I have been trying to explain my thinking on the issue.

They are as I stated earlier they only number in the region of 3000 in Ireland, however as I keep referencing on mainland Europe, Italy in particular, France to a lesser extent and I am not sure about Holland, the actions of a pretty tiny number of people have soured the view of many on immigration from EU ascension countries and led to draconian populist measures being put in place.

Whats wrong with accepting that there is a problem in that community and actually tackling it now rather than being officially blind until some party decides that it can garner votes by attempting to or actually succeeding in bringing in reactionary measures and poisoning and polarizing the wider debate about immigration even more even aside from the direct moral concerns that the policies in such places like Italy cause.

Intervention doesn't mean taking their children from them or packing them off back East by the way it means accepting that there is issues in the community and working to solve them rather than hysterically denying that there is anything negative occurring because official statistics which aren't even applicable due to the way they are recorded (not mentioning ethnicity instead focusing on Nationality).

My counter point is, considering the situation that has developed in countries in Europe how would you handle the situation? Because I would be surprised if as a fairly left wing person you think that what occurs if you completely ignore it for a decade or two is really what you want occurring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It was only one point out of the three I said that raised a response so I have been trying to explain my thinking on the issue.

They are as I stated earlier they only number in the region of 3000 in Ireland, however as I keep referencing on mainland Europe, Italy in particular, France to a lesser extent and I am not sure about Holland, the actions of a pretty tiny number of people have soured the view of many on immigration from EU ascension countries and led to draconian populist measures being put in place.

Whats wrong with accepting that there is a problem in that community and actually tackling it now rather than being officially blind until some party decides that it can garner votes by attempting to or actually succeeding in bringing in reactionary measures and poisoning and polarizing the wider debate about immigration even more even aside from the direct moral concerns that the policies in such places like Italy cause.!

I never said there wasn't a problem. What I am saying is that bringing up the Roma as an objection to European free movement into this country is to take out a herd of elephants and shoot them because one had a fly on his back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Nodin wrote: »
    I never said there wasn't a problem. What I am saying is that bringing up the Roma as an objection to European free movement into this country is to take out a herd of elephants and shoot them because one had a fly on his back.

Fair enough it was the least important point of the three on my views anyway which are primarily concerned on the impact immigration has on the labour market for the lower paid in a time of excess of employment and economic stagnation/contraction.

It will be interesting to see how the current UK proposals are termed and how they play in terms of EU law though as far as I can see we already have a lot of them in place. At least everyone can probably agree that hammering firms that don't pay minimum wage is a good thing anyway :o

Advertisement