Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC Rogue Traders presenter Dan Penteado has been jailed for 12 weeks... for fraud!

• 17-07-2012 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭

RTE News Link
    Former BBC Rogue Traders presenter Dan Penteado has been jailed for 12 weeks for council tax and housing benefit fraud worth more than £24,000 (€30,000).

The 40-year-old had previously admitted eight offences of dishonestly or knowingly claiming the benefits while not declaring he earned more than £56,000 (€71,000) from the BBC.

The show saw him chase down bogus workmen with co-host Matt Allwright.

His solicitor Terrence Scanlan told Bournemouth Magistrates' Court Penteado committed the fraud from 2008 to 2012.

Mr Scanlan said Penteado was on a short-term contract with the BBC and made the "very poor judgement not to interrupt the flow of housing benefit".

Penteado was only caught when a council housing benefit officer recognised him on Rogue Traders and matched the name to his fraudulent application.

"This is not a victimless crime. It is actually a crime of stealing from the public purse," said chairman of the bench John Corben.
    "It was planned over four years and it was calculated and we consider it so serious that only a custodial sentence is appropriate. You knew exactly what you were doing.

"You will be sentenced to 12 weeks in prison and it will not be suspended."
    Penteado is to be axed from the show following the case, the BBC said.
    A BBC spokesman said: "In light of the prosecution, Dan Penteado will not be returning to Rogue Traders."

The irony :pac:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Big embarrassment for the BBC to be sure - but not exactly their fault (this time).
    Guess he won't be flying anywhere for a while with his pilots licence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

The 40-year-old had previously admitted eight offences of dishonestly or knowingly claiming the benefits while not declaring he earned more than £56,000 (€71,000) from the BBC.

The show saw him chase down bogus workmen with co-host Matt Allwright.

wow just wow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

He always came across as pretty stupid when he presented that programme. Not surprised by this really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

I never did trust that fella, you could tell there was something dodgy about him from the off .. he did all the driving and poor Matt did all the hard graft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I assumed he got paid per series and was on benefits at the start of the year and earned money later and forgot to cancel his dole money. Looks like he's just a greedy ****er!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Is he the loud, small, bald, chappy me fellow me lad one? Hope so, cos I hate him anyway. Probably isn't though cos yer man looks like he'd come out smelling of roses if a cartload of manure fell on him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Who :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Lapin wrote: »
    Who :confused:

Former BBC Rogue Traders presenter Dan Penteado

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Pottler wrote: »
    Is he the loud, small, bald, chappy me fellow me lad one? Hope so, cos I hate him anyway. Probably isn't though cos yer man looks like he'd come out smelling of roses if a cartload of manure fell on him.

Naw, he's dom something or other isnt he? Littlewood?
    Pity. Thought it was him too!

Its his TV career down the tube (no pun intended) for a start - or as well.

Stupid man!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

Wonder will he end up on the show Saints and Scroungers presented by the Dom Littlewood fella. Would be hillarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Littlewood..pffft, fnar fnar.. no longer hate him, <<--- explains everything.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

what i cant understand is why didnt he sign off?i mean wtf a good tv career and all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,113 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Wonder will he end up on the show Saints and Scroungers presented by the Dom Littlewood fella. Would be hillarious.

More likel to be in Banged up Abroad in Britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

what i cant understand is why didnt he sign off?i mean wtf a good tv career and all?

Extreme greed and stupidity often go hand in hand. Lester Piggot for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Naw, he's dom something or other isnt he? Littlewood?
    Pity. Thought it was him too!
    Think he has some previous too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Maybe this will make people think twice in future when the episode of Rogue Traders with me p*ssing in the sink is repeated

Not the first time that the BBC has hired someone that has either turned bad or was previously a criminal.

"Dirty Den" (early Eastenders) was a murderer. He killed a taxi driver while robbing him and went to prison for it, previous to be coming famous for his biggest role.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Grantham
    On 3 December 1966 he attempted to rob a German taxi driver, Felix Reese. A struggle between Grantham and the driver followed, and Reese died from a gunshot wound to the head. In his statement to the police following his arrest, he claimed that he did not know the gun was loaded and it had gone off during a struggle with the taxi driver. He was subsequently convicted of murder, a surprise verdict after being advised by his lawyer that a manslaughter verdict would probably be returned.

Grantham was sentenced to life imprisonment at his trial in 1967. Although he had committed the killing in Osnabrück, Germany, he served the entirety of his imprisonment in various British prisons. This was because soldiers and officers convicted of any criminal offence that warrants a sentence of over two years are automatically transferred to HM Prison Service, since they are also automatically dishonourably discharged. Grantham was released in 1977, having served 10 years.

Advertisement