Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horsey 1 Humanity 1

• 17-07-2012 6:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Horse rescued as word spreads on social media
    SOCIAL MEDIA came in handy when dozens of people answered a distress call to save a terrified horse from drowning in a muddy river.

The horse was found stuck up to its chest in muck in the river Swilly in Letterkenny, Co Donegal.

A passing taxi driver noticed the frightened animal and immediately called Donegal Pet Rescue.

The group contacted gardaí but the officers were called to another incident.

Donegal Pet Rescue decided to issue a call on social media for help to save the horse.

They were swamped with offers of assistance and ideas to free the horse.

A rope was tied around the animal and straps were fitted in an attempt to pull the horse to safety.

However, as the horse struggled it sank into the mud and at one stage only its head and back could be seen. Volunteers then used spades and other tools to dig around the animal.

During the rescue effort, volunteers became stuck and also had to be released.

What followed was a four-hour haul involving relays of people to drag the horse from the muddy mire inch by inch.

Ryan McCauley of Donegal Pet Rescue said it was amazing to watch the spirit of people coming together in an attempt to rescue the animal.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0717/1224320253430.html

Has almost become natural to feel the country has become overrun with a self conceited, headline grabbing yobo culture.

This story has the opposite effect. Heart warming stuff. Thank you ALL.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Vanderbilt wrote: »
    Horse rescued as word spreads on social media

Has almost become natural to feel the country has become overrun with a self conceited, headline grabbing yobo culture.

This story has the opposite effect.

Agree, but the yobo culture caused the problem in the first place with their total disregard for the animals that are supposedly in their charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

surely it should be humanity 1 horse that got stuck in a river 0

still a nice story though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I'm a little concerned that a 'Pet Rescue' charity would have been unable to rescue the animal by themselves. Calling the fire-brigade when a moggy gets stuck up a tree might be the extent of their 'rescue operation'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I'm a little concerned that a 'Pet Rescue' charity would have been unable to rescue the animal by themselves. Calling the fire-brigade when a moggy gets stuck up a tree might be the extent of their 'rescue operation'.

I imagine a pet rescue centre is for taking in stray, injured, unwanted and abused animals not digging a horse out of mud in a river. When you saw 'pet rescue' were you expecting them to scramble a helicopter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Jimoslimos wrote: »

Its more of a rescue centre for lost/unwanted pets.

They rehome animals and things like that. There wouldn't be a wile need for an all out rescue service really around here.

This is the first time i've heard of anything like this happen here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I imagine a pet rescue centre is for taking in stray, injured, unwanted and abused animals not digging a horse out of mud in a river. When you saw 'pet rescue' were you expecting them to scramble a helicopter?
    danniemcq wrote: »
    Its more of a rescue centre for lost/unwanted pets.

They rehome animals and things like that. There wouldn't be a wile need for an all out rescue service really around here.

This is the first time i've heard of anything like this happen here
    Yeah, 'Pet Shelter' might have been a more appropriate name. Any reason why the fire-brigade wouldn't have been called - or would that be due to nobody willing to pay a callout fee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Chinasea wrote: »
    Agree, but the yobo culture caused the problem in the first place with their total disregard for the animals that are supposedly in their charge.

It doesn't say who owned the animal in the linked article. You seem to know. Are you at liberty to say?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Artax! Artax! Artax! Nooooooo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Does anybody here remember Paddy Crosbie's story about a horse that fell into a hole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Why did nobody call the fire brigade?

They wouldn't mind, it's something different and good training since they had to pull out people too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

He was only horsing around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

It rains so much in Donegal I'd doubt they have much need of a fire brigade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

It doesn't say who owned the animal in the linked article. You seem to know. Are you at liberty to say?

No, I have no idea whatsoever.

But I have unfortunately been privy to see how many of these poor helpless animals are simply disposed of by 'yobos'.

Advertisement