Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parent & Child Parking Spaces - A Poll

• 16-07-2012 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭WolfgangWeisen

The question: Do you park in the parent and child spaces at the supermarket/shopping centre?

I am childless and have no qualms about parking in these myself and from looking at other people parking, it appears most don't either. However, in the 6 years of going to the same supermarket a few times per week, I have had an angry mother or two come ranting at me over me parking there. In response, I've offered to call the Gardai and have them come and sort it out, but they never seem to want to take up my offer :confused:

My reasoning: Having kids is a personal choice and good for you if you do it, however I'm not going to let someone else's personal choices infringe on me where possible. I look at the P&C spaces as being the same as a space marked for Porsche drivers i.e they can f*ck right off if they think I'm not going to park in a space near to the door that isn't allotted to those with disabilities.

Before someone brings it up, they're not the same as disabled spaces so don't go there. In fact, if you feel you having kids is a disability then you'd really want to take a long hard look at yourself.

On another note, why is it that they seem to only use pictures of a woman + child to mark these spaces? Bit unfair on Dads out there, is it not?

Anonymous poll added.

Do you park in Parent & Child designated spaces? 263 votes

Yes (I have small children)
    0% 0 votes
    No (I have small children)
    51% 136 votes
    Yes (I have no children)
    6% 17 votes
    No (I have no children)
    41% 110 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Cant find the poll on the Troll thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

No. Thread needs actual poll.

Also do you park in handicapped places, while handicapped people make handicapped faces?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭WolfgangWeisen

Poll just appeared now. You've to submit the thread before you can add the poll, FYI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Where's the Yes and I have big children option???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

My reasoning: Having kids is a personal choice and good for you if you do it, however I'm not going to let someone else's personal choices infringe on me where possible. I look at the P&C spaces as being the same as a space marked for Porsche drivers i.e they can f*ck right off if they think I'm not going to park in a space near to the door that isn't allotted to those with disabilities.

Aren't you a fine specimen of humanity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Sometimes.

Where's the Yes and I have big children option???
    It should probably just be Yes (I have children). However, having big kids is the same as having no kids in the eyes of these spaces, as they're there for those with small kids (apparently!) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I see these spaces more to stop kids needing to be walking around a potentially busy and dangerous car park rather than a convenience for the parent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Would the extra walk really kill you?

Leave the spaces free so the kids are less likely to get hit by a reversing car while crossing the car park.

I have no kids and I don't use the parent and child parking.

dan1895 wrote: »
    I see these spaces more to stop kids needing to be walking around a potentially busy and dangerous car park rather than a convenience for the parent.
    I haven't read of too many accidents or deaths involving kids in carparks to be honest. Although safety should always be a concern, it should always be implemented in a realistic manner would be my opinion i.e not OTT to the point of inconvenience.

Although, with that being said, almost all carparks I've been in over the past few years have lined walkways on both sides of the traffic stream, which is something they didn't have when I was growing up. That's reasonable, I believe, without being OTT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

It should probably just be Yes (I have children). However, having big kids is the same as having no kids in the eyes of these spaces, as they're there for those with small kids (apparently!) ;)

Well that really is discriminating against BIG kids.

:)

Although safety should always be a concern, it should always be implemented in a realistic manner would be my opinion i.e not OTT to the point of inconvenience.

It is, the only people being inconvenienced are the parents who's spots you're taking.

hardCopy wrote: »

If I go to the supermarket 3 times per week and walk an extra 30 seconds to/from my car, that means I take an unnecessary 159 minutes or 2 hours 39 minutes per year out of my life to accomodate somebody else's life choices.

I don't really see a reason why I would do that.

If kids start being hurt/killed en mass in carparks then by all means, go for it, but as far as I'm aware there isn't a problem with this happening these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

There is one near me called a "Mother and Child" space. Can I not park there being a "Father and Child"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

hardCopy wrote: »

Leave the spaces free so the kids are less likely to get hit by a reversing car while crossing the car park.

I have no kids and I don't use the parent and child parking.

There's hardly (if any?) incidents such as these. So shelter them in a carpark where the maximum speed is very low and let them run wild on the streets?

This isn't a valid argument imo.

I don't park in them, because I don't care that much to be honest, but I can see where the OP is coming from.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

dan1895 wrote: »

Also to minimise walking distance to the shop if it's lashing rain and you have a baby in a buggy/car seat.. and they're extra wide for easy access to the vehicle with said baby/car seat..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I have a two yr old so I tend not to use them anymore, not that I used them much when he was a baby either. I think they are handy but the sense of entitlement some parents have over them is insane. Fair enough if you have a child seat that requires the car door to be opened as far as possible but its laughable to see parents with walking children get precious over them.

These things were never around when my teenager was a baby and we just got on with it. First world problems eh?

smash wrote: »
    It is, the only people being inconvenienced are the parents who's spots you're taking.
    You don't deserve special treatment for merely having done something that every living thing on this planet can do, to be honest. The enormous sense of entitlement on display from parent's these days is remarkable, to say the least. A completely undeserved sense of entitlement, I will add.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Parent and baby spaces are wider so you can get your kids out of the car easier. Sometimes it's really difficult in normal size spaces.
    But well done OP, the world needs more people like you, standing up to mothers with kids. You're a real hero, I'd say your own mother would be proud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I will try to find another spot as I know getting out of the car with a baby, small child is quite the trail especially if they have more than one and have to get them into buggies etc. However if there is no spaces left within a reasonable distance then I will use them. Especially seeing as my local supermarket seems to have been over zealous in their parent and and child and dare I say disabled spots, these are always empty and it can be really hard to get a spot, I rarely have to resort to taking a parent and child spot though.

Op sounds like you just take these spots in the hope of pissing people off.

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    I have a two yr old so I tend not to use them anymore, not that I used them much when he was a baby either. I think they are handy but the sense of entitlement some parents have over them is insane. Fair enough if you have a child seat that requires the car door to be opened as far as possible but its laughable to see parents with walking children get precious over them.

These things were never around when my teenager was a baby and we just got on with it. First world problems eh?
    How did you manage to do that?!

From what some parent's claim here, it's utterly amazing that your kid wasn't run down and killed when in the carpark without P&C spaces. What a miracle!

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I park in them if there is no other spaces free. Wouldn't park in a disabled spot though.

A shopping centre near me has installed elderly parking spots. I think that is a step too far. If they're mobile they can park in a normal spot or get a disabled sticker.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Op sounds like you just take these spots in the hope of pissing people off.

No, I take these spots in the hopes of minimizing the distance to/from the supermarket/shopping centre door, so I've less walking to do and less carrying of groceries/shopping on the way back.

I will admit that on the 2 occasions (in 6 years of going there) that someone kicked off at me I did have an excellent laugh at their expense though.

Bad Panda wrote: »
    but I can see where the OP is coming from.

I can't. He's talking about other people's life choices affecting his commute to the shop by a whole 30 seconds if even.

The shops have designated these spaces for a reason, and have assigned rules to these spaces. He has a choice about parking there, but he shouldn't do it. Personally, I hope he gets clamped repeatedly.

It is awkward for a parent with a child, or a pregnant woman to have to walk a distance to their vehicle. OP is just a lazy git with a chip on his shoulder. Families will probably spend more money with the shop too.
    You don't deserve special treatment for merely having done something that every living thing on this planet can do, to be honest. The enormous sense of entitlement on display from parent's these days is remarkable, to say the least. A completely undeserved sense of entitlement, I will add.
    That's your opinion, it's not the opinion of the shop so disregard your opinion and obey the rules of establishment owners when you use their services.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I used to go out of my way to park in these spaces, I totally disagree with them.

About 2 years I was up at Artane Castle and some lad parked in one of those spots with his kid, got out and was told by some car park attendant that they were mother and child spaces and that he'd need to move his car.

The signs have since been changed to parent and child spaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Since my sister had a baby, I wouldn't park in them as I can see how they are needed, as you have to open the door fully to get a child out of the car seat. It bugs me seeing other people using them(and the disabled spots). People are selfish though and will just do whatever they want.

Rabies wrote: »
    I park in them if there is no other spaces free. Wouldn't park in a disabled spot though.

A shopping centre near me has installed elderly parking spots. I think that is a step too far. If they're mobile they can park in a normal spot or get a disabled sticker.
    Yeah, parking in the disabled spot is being an absolute c*nt in fairness.

With regards to the elderly spots, you're right. If an elderly person has bad legs or has trouble walking, they're generally able to get a disabled badge for the car without any trouble. In fact, those that have problems with their legs most likely already have one and use the disabled spaces, rendering the additional spaces redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

Rabies wrote: »

Whats the symbol on those ones?

I would only park in the P&C space if its the only space available. I dont really think its necessary to have them - like was said before our parents did fine in car parks without them. However it doesnt bother me that they are there, and if the only free space was one of these I would have no problem using it - otherwise it makes little to no difference that I am parked slightly further from the door. The more walking the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Treanor2011

The spaces are bigger so if someone has a newborn and a toddler for example the buggies and doors open wont bother the single person parking next to them .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Whats the symbol on those ones?

I would only park in the P&C space if its the only space available. I dont really think its necessary to have them - like was said before our parents did fine in car parks without them. However it doesnt bother me that they are there, and if the only free space was one of these I would have no problem using it - otherwise it makes little to no difference that I am parked slightly further from the door. The more walking the better!

They are the same size as a disabled parking spot, and located beside them.
    Symbol of a man and woman separated by a line. A sign post at the kerb saying elderly parking.

It was in Westfield Albany Shopping Centre. Only a few km from Ireland :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

When they do up the list of 'types of people society needs more of' OP, I don't think you're going to find your name there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I park in them all the time, it's not illegal to park in them and imo they're stupid. I have my Nephew a lot and I just park wherever and carry him/hold his hand and there's no problem. It's handy in the rain but nobody likes being in the rain so why should parents be special?

If you need wider spaces for your buggies then park far away from the place and take 2 spaces, although I don't see the point of this either. Set the buggy up, Leave the buggy at the boot of your car and carry the child over to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

A completely undeserved sense of entitlement, I will add.

Ironic much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

My reasoning: Having kids is a personal choice and good for you if you do it

The establishment that put in the child spots in places wanted them for people with kids. You however have the personal choice to shop somewhere else if you don't like that:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Going shopping at a super market?? How quaint. My shopping gets delivered to my home. The staff look after details like that.

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    I can't. He's talking about other people's life choices affecting his commute to the shop by a whole 30 seconds if even.

Said people's life choices already affect all our commute every single day during the school term. They fill the roads because nobody wants their kids to take the bus or share cars or walk to school, they block up passage ways by parking illegally to make sure their kids have as little distance to travel to get into the school grounds etc.

I get to work in 10 minutes during the summer in the car. During the school term, that trip takes 30+ minutes. I'm not being inconvenienced by these people further for no reason, which is what these spaces amount to.
    The shops have designated these spaces for a reason, and have assigned rules to these spaces. He has a choice about parking there, but he shouldn't do it. Personally, I hope he gets clamped repeatedly.

They can't/won't clamp me, ever. I've parked in these spaces every time they've been available for 6 years and the staff/management have never said a word to me. I think they'd prefer me and the €5000+ I spend there every year on groceries to keep coming back.
    It is awkward for a parent with a child, or a pregnant woman to have to walk a distance to their vehicle.
    Sorry but the spaces aren't for pregnant people, they're designated for parents with their children at hand.
    OP is just a lazy git with a chip on his shoulder. Families will probably spend more money with the shop too.

Chip on my shoulder? No, not really. I just won't have people's choices infringe upon my own life wherever possible. If it said "porsche owners only" I'd still be parking there, as it's their choice to buy a porsche, as it is their choice to have a kid.
    That's your opinion, it's not the opinion of the shop so disregard your opinion and obey the rules of establishment owners when you use their services.

Nah. If they've a problem they can take it up with me. Me and the €5000+ I put into the place every year will go elsewhere, something a company that is in administration such as themselves really does not need I would imagine.

I don't park in them no, I don't see the harm in being a little considerate to people who probably have a bit more a struggle with the manoeuvring than I do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I use them when I have the kids as they're handy: being wider, it's easier to get the kids out of the car than normal spaces when both fucking retards on either side of you have parked over the line. Wouldn't bother using them when I don't have the kids with me.

Would go to another shop before I would use a wheelchair space.

In general, I don't mind having to park a bit of a walk away from the shop door as I'm not a fat, idle cunt and I don't rust in the rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

bluewolf wrote: »
    I don't park in them no, I don't see the harm in being a little considerate to people who probably have a bit more a struggle with the manoeuvring than I do

You calling them fat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Park somewhere else.

I've had two occasions where I couldn't get my baby back into the car because some idiot has parked too close to me and I couldn't get the door open.

One was in the pissing rain and I had to wait for the guy to come back to the car. He didn't give a toss. (maybe that was you op?) Another time I asked someone to mind my baby so that I could squeeze into the car and reverse out.

You need the extra space the spaces have. Also it means you don't have to leave the pram behind the car on the road and risk some idiot reversing into it or something.

Trust me, it is hard enough getting out on your own with a tiny baby without having to deal with extra complications like this.

• Advertisement

phasers wrote: »
    I park in them all the time, it's not illegal to park in them and imo they're stupid. I have my Nephew a lot and I just park wherever and carry him/hold his hand and there's no problem. It's handy in the rain but nobody likes being in the rain so why should parents be special?

If you need wider spaces for your buggies then park far away from the place and take 2 spaces, although I don't see the point of this either. Set the buggy up, Leave the buggy at the boot of your car and carry the child over to it.

Spot on, phasers, spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

I couldn't agree more with you, OP. Those parking spaces are nothing but a nuisance. I totally respect disabled parking spaces, but I don't see why a parent should need any special treatment just for having a miniature human with them.

I especially like the explanation here that the whole nonsense was brought into place because it is safer for the children. How often have you heard of fatal car accident involving children in parking lots? Children are the parents' responsibility, not the one of shops or other motorists. It's enough to pay attention to them while you are driving, but enough is enough.

Also...can anyone please explain why the P&C parking spaces are often closer to the entrance of the shops than the disabled ones? It's something I really don't get..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

At least they don't have these:
    http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c109/TheGlaswegian/femaleParking.jpg

I parked in one of those spaces before .. swear to god it was like I had murdered someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

The question: Do you park in the parent and child spaces at the supermarket/shopping centre?

I am childless and have no qualms about parking in these myself and from looking at other people parking, it appears most don't either. However, in the 6 years of going to the same supermarket a few times per week, I have had an angry mother or two come ranting at me over me parking there. In response, I've offered to call the Gardai and have them come and sort it out, but they never seem to want to take up my offer :confused:

Before someone brings it up, they're not the same as disabled spaces so don't go there. In fact, if you feel you having kids is a disability then you'd really want to take a long hard look at yourself.

On another note, why is it that they seem to only use pictures of a woman + child to mark these spaces? Bit unfair on Dads out there, is it not?

Anonymous poll added.

you seem fairly ignorant on the subject. I have 2 small kids, the whole point of those spaces is so that you are closer to the door ways, for ease of getting in and out of the place and also safety as it is less of a space to cross with small children.

On a side note, are you over weight? i only ask this because i have seen many people park in those spaces, and they all seem to be the people who could do with that extra walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Why do they have to be right up the front of the car park right beside the door anyway?

If its simply a matter of more space why not shove them down the back? I'm sure there will be no issues with a lack of spaces then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Parent and child parking spaces are there for the convenience of parents with young children who need extra space to use buggies, car seats etc., not for the convenience of lazy feckers who resent walking an extra few yards.

Saying that however, in my local Tesco, the p&c spaces are actually further away than the normal spaces and non parents still use them. I guess they just really want to stick it to the man....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

allibastor wrote: »
    and they all seem to be the people who could do with that extra walk.

That means fat cunts for the people at the back.

OP you're either a bad troll or a sad, lonely and angry person. Which is it?

C'mon now, just 'cause your little one's are wrecking your lives and took away all the freedom you once had, doesn't mean you can go around calling people names.

Easy up there, parents, it'll get better in 18+ years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I'd be more considerate OP, you might have kids yourself one day, god forbid. Or you could end up in a wheelchair. Maybe then you'd see the bigger picture.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement