Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who was ever in a Garda Taxi?

Options
  • 23-03-2008 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Not including cops on this thread, who was ever driven around in the back of a squd car?

I was once when I was stopped in a defective vehicle and told to leave it where it was and then asked to hop in and took a lift back to where I was staying at the time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Halfdog wrote: »
    Not including cops on this thread, who was ever driven around in the back of a squd car?

I was once when I was stopped in a defective vehicle and told to leave it where it was and then asked to hop in and took a lift back to where I was staying at the time.

i was arrested in phibsboro and brought to Storestreet Garda station.

Good Times :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I went around a travellers camp in the back of a garda car before (tinted windows) looking for a bike they'd stolen from our house.

Also got a ride in a Garda van, myself in the back with two guards who talked about roughing me up before I got home.

Another ride in a Garda van with two friends.

Never for anything serious though, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Yeah, I got hauled into a car for wrestling with my friend outside a kebab shop. One of my other mates managed to talk himself into the car by sticking up for me, the fecking eejit.

I was on the probation act at the time, too, so I was bricking it. Thankfully, I made a phony apology and they turfed us out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Yeah was in a taxi that knocked a really drunk guy down and then the driver told me to get out and sped off so I went to report it and then I was left home in a squad car, the SHAME:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

i was once taken away by the magic garda taxi van for stopping cars at the junction outside Eddie Rockets beside the GPO in Galway. And when the paddy waggon came along, I jumped out to stop it too! :o

ahh those cells have funny toilets!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

this is the type of thread, where you post in and then get googled by the future employer.

* btw future employers - never been arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Like being in india I believe, hole in the floor :p
    Wonder if all cop shops have them

Never arrested or robbed so I havent had the pleasure of cruising in a Garda car

this is the type of thread, where you post in and then get googled by the future employer.

sure, if you're stupid enough to advertise who you are! There are only 2 people on boards who actually know me personally!

Me = 1
    Future Employer = 0

* btw future employers - never been arrested.

I told my new employer about being arrested.

..granted i wasnt charged with anything and tec didnt do anything wrong as i passed the breathaliser in the station, but in future i recommend you dont sleep in the passenger seat of your car when you had a few pints.

Lesson Learned

• Advertisement

sure, if you're stupid enough to advertise who you are! There are only 2 people on boards who actually know me personally!

Me = 1
    Future Employer = 0

You'd be suprised.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

snyper wrote: »
    I told my new employer about being arrested.

..granted i wasnt charged with anything and tec didnt do anything wrong as i passed the breathaliser in the station, but in future i recommend you dont sleep in the passenger seat of your car when you had a few pints.

Lesson Learned

Keys out of ignition I thought they couldn't do you? Had a long, cold night in Portrush due to that - even in passenger seat if the ignitions on for the heater and you're the only person in the car you can be done for drunk in control. How was I to know that the Dunluce Avenue carpark doesn't have under-tarmac heating...

snyper wrote: »
    You'd be suprised.

Ya, i would be surprised! But there's always Murphys Law! But to be honest, would you tell a prospective employer about how you got a parking ticket once? Or how the cops dropped you home 'cos you were too hammered to make it yourself safely?

I think not!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

what do the toilets look like?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭KBarry

Not Garda, but I've been in a couple of foreign cop cars. First time me and a mate were jumped by a gang of Turks in Germany. The Turks came second but I got a bad cut over my eye. The Polizei found me wandering the streets covered in blood and took me back to the station to get cleaned up and make a statement.
    And in Australia I got mugged (kind of) my a couple of aborigines. The cops had in me the back of the car driving round looking for them.
    It's not that exciting to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Me and my buddy were flamin drunk asleep in his fiat chinquento which was loaded with many many signs, traffic cones and garden furniture (Drunks Gold), gardai seen us and made us fill up the paddywagon (boot plus backseats full up with the crap) and us sitting on top of all our treasure, they then drove us around and made us bring back all the stuff we had borrowed and also had to make donation to wheelchair association. Aah yeah.

Reminds me of the time we got nabbed for collecting a few of those "Cifford T Reid" election posters/...

U kno the ones.. "Stop the Paedophiles" eletion posters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I got a lift to college in the back of a garda car once, one of those fancy Mondeos. You should have seen the look on people's faces (my brother was driving by the way).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Just the once in Ireland for being intoxicated in public. Mind you i was just walking up the street alone after leaving a friends house where i only had a few bottles. Ended up going to court and having to make a donation of 50 euro. Ridiculous.

But the worst was in Mexico. Someone put speed in my hood and then i got arrested. It was all a scam. But being put in the back seat of this 1960's beetle and having 2 sweaty cops holding machine guns on either side of me was enough to convince me to never wear a hoody in Tijuana again. The cell was also the biggest sh!thole i've ever been in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Maybe not exactly the same thing but a few years ago I got attacked outside a pub. The next week I went around pubs in the back of an unmarked car with plainclothes guards to see if we could find the fella. While sitting outside a pub with back window open a young fella came up and tried to sell me some grass. He got lashed out of on the back of the car, face squashed against the glass within seconds. Was praying he wouldnt remember my face. Kinda funny though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Nope, never been in a Garda car. Never been arrested either. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Nope, never. I'm a good girl, I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭whatsgoinon

living in asia, my friend and I were in a new part of town looking for a sauna to sweat out the previous evenings booze. My friend wanted me to ask the guy selling mobile phones from a corner stall, I insisted on asking a police man, 2 seconds later we were being chauffered around town looking for a sauna, we found one, really wanted somebody to see me, the boys didn't speak much english and my local lingo was very basic, I thought i was going to pee my pants laughing at the whole scenario.

A few years back there was an incident in a nightclub, I had to go to the station to make a statement with my sister. I rang home to tell the olds I would be late back. Got dropped off in front of the house at 6.45am just as mam was opening the curtains. I thought she'd burst out through the window. Dad hadn't gotten round to waking up and passing on the message

Once, it was all very boring.
    My faith in the force definitely took a knocking though, garda ****etalk makes Dougal appear like a highbrow intellectual.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Never been in one myself, me being a good girl and all, but my cousin couldn't get a taxi home one night and asked the Gardai to bring her home. They obliged.

But the worst was in Mexico. Someone put speed in my hood and then i got arrested. It was all a scam. But being put in the back seat of this 1960's beetle and having 2 sweaty cops holding machine guns on either side of me was enough to convince me to never wear a hoody in Tijuana again. The cell was also the biggest sh!thole i've ever been in.

Little did you know - it was 90% likely the cops put the speed there..

they were looking for you to buy yer way out of bother.. a bribe.. absolutely notorious crooked bastards.. mexican cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

janeybabe wrote: »
    Never been in one myself, me being a good girl and all, but my cousin couldn't get a taxi home one night and asked the Gardai to bring her home. They obliged.

Lol I should do that instead of forking out the tenner for the cab back home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A guy had kicked in the front door at work. We went around St. Stephen's Green South / East at over 100km/h.

qhatever about the cops, I was putting on my seat belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Wasn't in a Garda car, but did a ride along with police in Texas. Serious muscle car, equipped with stuff we'll never see over here in Garda cars. (Shotguns for one). Also had a laptop that allowed the cop to run plates and names through the police computer, map car location and incoming calls, and best of all IM all the other patrol cars. Good times, espec doing 120 down the freeway after a speeding Porsche.

Although he didn't appreciate me singing the theme tune to Cops.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

A bit when I was younger as the father was a guard.. very rarley ever since.

I do believe if a female asks the guards for a lift home for her own safety, they have to. So iv been told many a time anyway!

Advertisement