Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

...Good old revenue.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

lmao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

But aren't they two completely different things? citizensinformation.ie (the old oasis.gov.ie) is just an information source whereas reachservices.ie is used as a secure portal to access government services (such as the revenue's ROS service) that you have to register for, and log onto each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

yep, you have to sign up for a Reach Services password to enable you apply for a Revenue PIN to access the full range of Revenue online services - well the employee services anyway cos self-employed people have their own version of ROS. If they cancel the Reach site they'll have to find an alternative way to sign up for the Revenue PIN.

Never noticed that Reach does info too, but it is the same question/answer thingy as the Citizens Info website. From a quick look at Reach the Citizens Info site appears to be a lot more comprehensive though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

As far as I know the broker system that reach is based on is being kept on.... ide imagine theyll just move it to citizensinformation site.

Essentially theyre just making two front ends (granted that was a waste of money) into one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Squall wrote: »
    Essentially theyre just making two front ends into one.
    Aye, this government is good at that, all right! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Aye, this government is good at that, all right! :rolleyes:

Haha :)

Totally unintentional pun there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It's only half a mil lost. Small peanuts. They've had bigger f ups.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Squall wrote: »
    As far as I know the broker system that reach is based on is being kept on....

That's correct, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Wait; should I be calling Joe Duffy or not?

The article suggests a much larger waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

:eek: Our blessed government wasting money..

Say it eint so?

On the othe hand, i don't think it will affect my sleep tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

That article is quite stupid. The websites in question do not do the same thing. In saying that Reach is really not very good for what it is meant to do. I know people who worked on the site and it doesn't work as meant. That is down to the inability on a state agency to manage software product design. Essentially reach was a great idea but needed cross departmental agreement prior to starting which it didn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DaCorkGeezer

Hi,

The whole reachservices has to be one of the most annoying, confusing, long-winded, cluttered, tedious online experience I've had in years...

It takes I don't know how many steps to access PAYE..obtain a PIN (oh wait your PIN is obsolete, please request a new one), set up an account (p/w has to be min 8 char long incl. number and special char etc etc), auth your account, wait until you receive another PIN (oh no axctually it's an activation code) and activate your account...

I rang them this morning as I couldn't remember the p/w (can't they email it to like other do??), the guy said he couldn't see it, I will be sent a new p/w BY POST...I mean, what's the point in ringing them if they can't even assist you?

In this day and age of carbon reduction etc, instead of getting rid of as much paperwork as possible, they contribute to it by sending letters which will be thrown away...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Full article:
    CELTIC TIGER, the Irish Republic has shut down a public service web site after it found that it already had one doing the same job that had been set up and run by the same department.

It was discovered that the four year old reachservices.ie site was providing information already available on citizensinformation.ie despite both being run by the Department of Social and Family Affairs. Reachservices.ie managed 18,000 visitors in one year while citizens information.ie got 2.5 million.

Reachservices.ie will close after the Irish Public Accounts Committee said it was a "total waste" to have both sites running. Proving that cost overruns in the public sector are universal, the committee said that the cost of the Broker system, on which the un-needed web site was based, had gone from €14 million to €37 million.

Still, why have one when you can have two at twice the cost?

Oh and lol!

Advertisement