Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Democrats were just as pro-Iraq War as the Republicans

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

arold10 wrote: »
    I've never mentioned that all Democrats voted in favor of the war.

I know.

And I never said you did.

:confused:

I realize its not your thread.

Back in 2002 there was still a semblance of bipartisanship in US politics and generally when a US president confronts a foreign threat and asks congress (basically asking The People) for authorization to use force, he's usually given it, whether its vietnam or korea or iraq.

This one was odd in that there was so much resistance from Democrats. Because the "evidence" was so weak. But the President insisted. He promised. He pleaded. And remember this wasnt necessarily to go to war it was to give him the ability to at least threaten saddam.

The nationalist fervor of the time was amazing. Why wouldnt anyone vote to give the President the power he asked for in an emergency as it was portrayed? And yet he still only got 40% of the Democrats.

Which is why the title of this thread is such uneducated bullsh*t.

He then voted for every legislation that was designed to fund the war.

Did you see what happened to the republicans last year when they tried to shut down the government by not voting to pass the budget?

Do you have any idea what would happen if they Democrats hadnt passed a military budget while troops are out there fighting??

You cant end a war by just stopping paying the troops.

But, if you read quotes from numerous Democrats it's quite obvious that there was strong support among them for the war.

Okay I'll bite.

Show me a Democrat who strongly supported the war in Iraq.

Kerry? Hilary?

I think you'll find they supported the Presidency (the office more than bush individually) and HAD TO believe that he wasn't lying to them when he claimed to have evidence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭jimeryan22

Here the guy that really really really tells you how it is.. Gerald celente for president..!!!!!

http://youtu.be/SIg-Puc15CA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

InTheTrees wrote: »

The nationalist fervor of the time was amazing. Why wouldnt anyone vote to give the President the power he asked for in an emergency as it was portrayed? And yet he still only got 40% of the Democrats.

Was it? There was a majority in favour of war if the second UN resolution was rejected but not overwhelmingly so. No majority if it wasn't even voted on. Then the war is started and people naturally rallied to support it.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2003-03-16-poll-iraq_x.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 37 arold10

Did you see what happened to the republicans last year when they tried to shut down the government by not voting to pass the budget?

Do you have any idea what would happen if they Democrats hadnt passed a military budget while troops are out there fighting??

You cant end a war by just stopping paying the troops.

I can see the point you are trying to make. However, I remember Obama get pounded repeatedly by Hilary Clinton for not keeping his original position against the war. It seemed like he was not sure about how he should have proceeded with his position on the war.

Well thats probably true. I went to a few anti-war marches in the US back then and it felt like the weight of the country was for war. In reality a lot of it was the right wing controlled media.

I was looking at the wiki on anti war protests and found this line which is very indicative of the time:

"A Fox News poll showed that 63% had an unfavorable view of the protesters, just 23% had a favorable view.[7] According to Pew Research, 40% said in March 2003 that they had heard "too much" from people opposed to the war against 17% who said "too little"."

Nothing about lack of evidence, or actual facts, just people's "feelings" that anti-war protesting was unpatriotic. And the crap "evidence" that was shown later to be lies was obviously lies at the time as well. Its not like everyone was fooled by this bs. We watched colin powell at the UN and laughed at his really childish attempts to convince us that some aluminum pipes were missiles and that model aeroplanes could spread poison gases. It was a f'ing joke. The creepy part was when the "media" treated the evidence as Absolute Truth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protests_against_the_Iraq_War

I can see the point you are trying to make. However, I remember Obama get pounded repeatedly by Hilary Clinton for not keeping his original position against the war. It seemed like he was not sure about how he should have proceeded with his position on the war.

Yes. The Democratic primary between Hilliary and Obama was prolonged and hard fought.

Its hard to go back and go through what they said about each other. Obama was an Illinois politician at the time, wasnt even in washington DC yet so I dont know too much.

Sorry to keep quoting wiki's:

"Obama was an early opponent of the George W. Bush administration's 2003 invasion of Iraq.[61] On October 2, 2002, the day President Bush and Congress agreed on the joint resolution authorizing the Iraq War,[62] Obama addressed the first high-profile Chicago anti-Iraq War rally,[63] and spoke out against the war.[64] He addressed another anti-war rally in March 2003 and told the crowd that "it's not too late" to stop the war.[65]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

...a war that should have been fought to the finish whatever the cost.

What are you TC? some kinda deluded Patriot? This is Ireland, not Kansas. The Americans have habit of starting stuff they can't or won't finish. Usually through incompetence or outright stupidity. You've been watching the RTE news and reading the Irish Independent again... big mistake.

See my post #45

This is in the news right now because dick cheney, the original Republican architect of the war in Iraq is dying, he's on his 2nd heart transplant I think, and he's trying to clean up his war legacy by making out he was right all along. Oh and his daughter is trying to run for the senate.

SO he's out there blaming anyone other than himself and even suggesting that we go back into Iraq again.

Nobodys taking him seriously:

"The Cheneys largely stuck to their usual talking points during the discussion, criticizing President Barack Obama and defending the war in Iraq. "

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/14/cheney-protesters_n_5585000.html

As I said previously, the Republican in common always have a problem acknowledging the war was a catastrophic blunder. To be honest with you, I have a serious problem with their constant refusal to admit something that can clearly be seen as a disaster by anyone. I've watched several George Bush's interviews, whenever he is asked that question "Is the war in Iraq worth it, in term of sacrifices?" His response is always that "well this is something that I can't really answer as for now, I'll let history tell the truth as it takes time to unfold, or history will be my ultimate judge. His hope lies on the fact that people will eventually look back and realize that the world is a much better, safer place without Saddam on power.

I think this a way of trying not to take full responsibility for misleading the American people. If they are honest with themselves, it's easy for them to realize that everything they said concerning Iraq prior to the invasion turns out not to be true. As far as Dick Cheney is concerned, he is like a mad man going out there defending that the decision to go in was a good one, and blaming the current president for not staying the course, or not being decisive enough regarding taking action.

I think Cheney has a problem with his daughter wanting to run for the Senate. Either she admits that it was a mistake going into Iraq and is forced to criticize her dad or she goes along with old man Cheney and tries to spin the war as being a great idea, which makes her look like an idiot.

Tough choices.

SO a viable strategy is to go out and start claiming everybody was just as enthusiastic for war as the Republicans were. They're trying to spread the blame about. Everyone was doing it. Except that its only the cheney's and some of their right wing radio show allies. And the strategy only lasted a few weeks.

Which is probably why the original poster of this thread never came back with any defense of his nonsense post.

Which is probably why the original poster of this thread never came back with any defense of his nonsense post.

Well, I seriously think that Dick Cheney needs to stop with his nonsense. I've learned that he and his daughter have created an organization which carries that name "The Alliance for A Strong America" with the sole purpose of promoting a stronger America through restoring its strength, power and influence around the world.

When taking a closer look at that war, if George Bush had known for sure that this was war going to become a disaster he would not have authorized the invasion in the first place. I get a serious problem when I see those guys out there keep on defending that stupid, unnecessary war.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Azwaldo55 wrote: »
    A selection of quotes from senior Democrats demonstrate that prior to the Bush Presidency and in the lead up to the war in Iraq Democrats were full square behind military action:

"One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the
    capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to
    deliver them. That is our bottom line."
    President Clinton,
    Feb. 4, 1998.

"If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our
    purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by
    Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program."
    President
    Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998.

"Iraq is a long way from [here], but what happens there
    matters a great deal here. For the risks that the leaders of a rogue
    state will use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons against us or
    our allies is the greatest security threat we face."
    Madeline
    Albright, Feb 18, 1998.

"He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he
    has ten times since 1983."
    Sandy Berger, Clinton National
    Security Adviser, Feb, 18, 1998

"[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and
    consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to take necessary
    actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on
    suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by
    Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs."

Letter to President Clinton, signed by Sens. Carl Levin, Tom
    Daschle, John
    Kerry, and others Oct. 9, 1998.

"Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of
    weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries
    in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection
    process."
    Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998.

"Hussein has ... chosen to spend his money on building
    weapons of mass destruction and palaces for his cronies."

Madeline Albright, Clinton Secretary of State, Nov. 10, 1999

"There is no doubt that . Saddam Hussein has reinvigorated
    his weapons programs. Reports indicate that biological, chemical and
    nuclear programs continue apace and may be back to pre-Gulf War
    status. In addition, Saddam continues to redefine delivery systems
    and is doubtless using the cover of a licit missile program to
    develop longer-range missiles that will threaten the United States
    and our allies."
    Letter to President Bush, Signed by Sen.
    Bob Graham (D, FL,) and others, Dec, 5, 2001.

"We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a
    tyrant and a threat to the peace and stability of the region. He has
    ignored the mandate of the United Nations and is building weapons of
    mass destruction and the means of delivering them."
    Sen.
    Carl Levin (d, MI), Sept. 19, 2002.

"We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and
    chemical weapons throughout his country."
    Al Gore, Sept. 23,

"Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven
    impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as
    long as Saddam is in power."
    Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002.

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is using
    and developing weapons of mass destruction."
    Sen. Ted
    Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002.

"The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October1998. We
    are confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical
    and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash
    course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities.
    Intelligence reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons..."

Sen. Robert Byrd (D, WV), Oct. 3, 2002.

"I will be voting to give the President of the United States
    the authority to use force if necessary to disarm Saddam Hussein
    because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass
    destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security."

Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002.

"There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is
    working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have
    nuclear weapons within the next five years . We also should remember
    we have alway s underestimated the progress Saddam has made in
    development of weapons of mass destruction."
    Sen. Jay
    Rockerfeller (D, WV), Oct 10, 2002,

"He has systematically violated, over the course of the past
    11 years, every significant UN resolution that has demanded that he
    disarm and destroy his chemical and biological weapons, and any
    nuclear capacity. This he has refused to do."
    Rep. Henry
    Waxman (D, CA), Oct. 10, 2002.

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence
    reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical
    and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and
    his nuclear program.
    He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary
    to terrorists, including al Qaeda members. It is clear, however, that
    if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his
    capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep
    trying to develop nuclear weapons."
    Sen. Hillary Clinton (D,
    NY), Oct 10, 2002

"We are in possession of what I think to be compelling
    evidence that Saddam Hussein has, and has had for a number of years,
    a developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of
    mass
    destruction. "[W]ithout question, we need to disarm
    Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an
    oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat
    because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation. And now he has
    continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass
    destruction ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass
    destruction is real ...
    Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23.

Why did they change their tune?

Opportunistic political partisanship of course.

In two subsequent Presidential elections the Democrats campaigned on a populist anti-Iraq War ticket.

Obama won the Presidency preaching against the War in Iraq and as soon as he was in office he began planning to withdraw the troops.

Now the troops have been withdrawn the all too predictable collapse occurred.

Obama and the Democrats have only themselves to blame for the mess that Middle East is in today - for undermining the American war effort politically and turning the American public against a war that should have been fought to the finish whatever the cost.

Today Islamic terrorists are sweeping all before them and a weak and divided America is more vulnerable than ever to Islamic terrorists.

Democrats who turned against the Iraq war are nothing less than traitors.

The same occurred 40 years ago when they got their desired withdrawal from Vietnam in 1973. South Vietnam was supposedly secure and could stand on its own two feet but the Democrats voted to cut funding and in 1975 the country collapsed to the Communists costing millions their lives.

As Obama sends in hundreds of troops to the Green Zone are we about to witness a repeat of the helicopter lift while the poor Iraqis who put their faith in America are massacred by the Islamic savages?

Islamic savages?

2 million people would still be alive if it wasn't for AMERICAN savages like this piece of filth:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1340207/I-didnt-think-Iraqis-humans-says-U-S-soldier-raped-14-year-old-girl-killing-her-family.html

That sweet little flower who they gangraped and then killed...oh and then killed her family....and the millions of children like her who are missing limbs or eyes, or parents, who whimper themselves to sleep every night and will do so for the rest of their lives.
    American gunships hovering overhead and slaughtering people for fun, laughing at them and then slaughtering those who come to help the dying:

<go and find the disgusting video>

Or those ascquitted of the Haditha Massacre...not so much as a demotion?

All these innocent Iraqi people slaughtered....and you talk about savages?

What savages killed and maimed and terrorised these people?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Wow, this discussion about the war in Iraq is still going on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Not in theory, but in practice, did the 2nd Persian Gulf War (Iraq II) ever end? I know that GW Bush landed on an aircraft carrier with a banner behind him claiming mission accomplished years ago, but has the fighting ever completely stopped? Obama claimed to have withdrawn the troops, but a small army of military advisers remained, as well as contracted military. Will the number of US boots on the ground increase fighting ISIS in Iraq and Syria? Should the 2nd Persian Gulf War be renamed the sequel (Iraq III?).

vstory.bush.banner.afp.jpg

I posted my comment in the sense that I thought the discussion was over. It's also been quite a long time since we've commented on that thread. So, I believe that this thread had already been buried in other pages in the "US Politics Category". With respect to what you say the situation in Iraq is getting deteriorated from time to time with ISIS taking control of a number of cities. These guys are terrible and they are killing people who disagree with them or stand on their way by a large number.

I sincerely believe that they have to be stopped. As you know the mistake that was made in Iraq by underestimating how long it was going to take to win that war along with how disastrous the war was in relation to the damage it has caused to US military makes the current administration more cautious about us ground force.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 el pibe

>> Wow, this discussion about the war in Iraq is still going on.

Pretty much what i say during the news every night ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 el pibe

>> Not in theory, but in practice, did the 2nd Persian Gulf War (Iraq II) ever end?

When I was growing up what we knew as the Gulf War was a hegemonic struggle for the middle east between Iran and Iraq and its various sponsors.

It could be argued that the current resurgence of violence is more a continuation of that conflict than the failed western meddling of 2003 onwards, though the allegiances and actors have shifted a bit.

I think it was renewed because of dick cheneys brief vain attempts to clear his name by paying someone to write a book for him and then hitting the talk shows to try and convince us that everyone was in favour of war back then.

Fcuking a**hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

I think it was renewed because of dick cheneys brief vain attempts to clear his name by paying someone to write a book for him and then hitting the talk shows to try and convince us that everyone was in favour of war back then.

Fcuking a**hole.

Nah, I think it's because the war in Iraq IS still going on.

Advertisement