Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mink

Options
  • 28-08-2010 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Saw a bloody mink today on the croft, no contact number on Dept of Ag for advice, no answer from parks and wildlife.

Trap costs 35 bloody Euro and a 50 mile round trip to Clifden.

I had to buy it because I think snares should be banned, but dear christ, 35 euro is a lot of dosh for me, ut I need it I guess to protect neighbours hens and native wildlife!!

Wish me luck in trapping the bugger, I like having cats and wildlife around the place.

Is there anyone I should report the sighting to?
    I live on a peninsula, and have never seen them here before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

You could probably have created a home made trap handy enough.
    I don't think any government department would be too bothered about your mink to honest, they are getting more and more widespread. Unless you are living in or near a protected breeding grounds or something then I'm afraid you are on your own.

Hope you catch him, and also that you have someone to dispatch him once caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The only good mink in an Irish context is a dead one. There should be bounty on these destroyers of so much of our breeding avifauna etc.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Simon,
    Mink are, unfortunately, everywhere nowadays. The Dept will have no interest. NPWS or Biology.ie would record the sighting but no more so than they do for Foxes, Greenfinches, Red Admirals, or Frogs etc.

To buy a trap for one Mink seems an awful waste. Try to borrow one if you can. Local wildlife protection groups, or even ISPCA, should have something that would do the job.

Can I ask what you plan on doing with this Mink once you have caught it? Your post does not suggest you are going to kill it.

I find your haste to get rid of the Mink somewhat at odds with your approval of Cats. But that's for another debate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

simonj wrote: »
    Saw a bloody mink today on the croft

In Scotland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That's what I thought when I saw "croft". :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement