Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to avoid dreaded midges

Options
  • 06-09-2010 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering does anyone know how to avoid being eaten alive by midges?! Just spent a night out wild camping in wicklow and could not have breakfast the following morning because of these little mites attacking me.:mad: Only thing I could do was walk around eating an orange, packing my gear was an absolute nightmare too!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

+1 on the avon products

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

yep ++1 on the avon spray.
    I read on the internet that the Territorial Army up in the Scottish Highlands (midge heaven) only ever use this particular avon spray (repellent sprays didn't work) - so I bought 2 bottles of the stuff from one of the girls at work who sells avon and use it all the time now.

The stuff stinks - no wonder the midges hate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I've started taking garlic pills, supposed to take an effect after two weeks on them, three days so far.

Tried the Avon stuff before, it was OK, but it did let me down big time a few times. I am not sure whether the midges became used to it or whether the active ingredient which they dislike had "gone off".

Didn't find Jungle Formula or the stuff in the yellow and red container much good either.

Repel 100 is the last stuff I've used, which works, pretty nasty stuff in it mind you, will damage clothing and equipment and no doubt me as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

johngalway wrote: »
    Repel 100 is the last stuff I've used, which works, pretty nasty stuff in it mind you, will damage clothing and equipment and no doubt me as well.
    Yes, and that's one of the main reasons I use the Avon stuff and avoid anything with large concentrations of DEET and other nasty ingredients. No doubt you might need the more powerful stuff in certain circumstances, but I find the Avon stuff more than adequate for midges and it seems to work quite well for other flying insects too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I can only speak as I find Alun :) I was screwing together the sides of a portable pen for a creep feeder on my farm, which is bordered by a wood and stream. I nearly lost my sanity finishing it and that was with Avon on first, didn't work, the red & yellow bottle next, no good, then jungle formula, nope :eek: :mad:

Ran out of the place :D

Repel 100 has worked for me so far, but I'm trying to avoid using it, hence the garlic pills. I think marmite is supposed to work too, but I won't be trying that...

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Teatree oil is good, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

johngalway wrote: »
    I think marmite is supposed to work too, but I won't be trying that...
    Why ever not? .. beautiful on a slice of toast in the morning :D (It is an acquired taste though I have to admit!)

Advertisement