Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grey hair

Options
  • 24-03-2011 2:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm fairly young and going grey. Wondering if anyone knows any remedies to combat it? I don't want to actually use a hair dye. My hair is short so it would grow out fairly fast I'd imagine. You see lotions but I don't know if any of them are any good. Does anybody have any experience using any of these or tips? I even heard blackstrap molasses can help recover some of your youthful pigment. Also meant to be a superfood with major health benefits.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Do you mind me asking how young is fairly young?

Im 31 and started going grey 5 or 6 years ago.Over the last few months Ive begun to notice grey hairs in my beard too.

Personally I couldnt give a crap and I get good feedback for it(the impending greyage).

I can understand though how some may be self concious because of it.

To answer your question,Ive never heard of anything that can be used to get your natural colour back.

You are right to avoid dyeing it.Every bloke Ive seen with their hair dyed looks IMO silly and its blatantly obvious they have done it.

Vitamin B12 deficiency can result in premature greying. The blackstrap molasses would tackle this. However it tastes disgusting and it wouldn't be by any means the only way. If you you have other symptoms in line with this, it is worth a trip to the doctor.

I've had grey strands twice, probably because of this. They have disappeared, as my diet has improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I'm starting to get grey hairs on my head, fairly noticeable if you ask me and I'm not even in my mid-20s.

F*ck it, if that's all I'm worrying about I've got a sad life. Whatever happens, happens - it's only hair colour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Jaysus Lad I started goin grey at 17, sure it's not a problem, the ladies love the salt 'n' pepper look.

21/25

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I gave in to inevitability. If I'm going grey, I'll let it go grey. If I start going bald, what am I going to do? Wear a wig?

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What's wrong with grey hair, I think it's grand!
    If I wasnt changing my hair colour anyway I would be happy to show off the greys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

It's not grey it's pure silver, the more you have the more valuable you are.

Pluck a few and get yourself down to one of those Silver4Cash shops if you like, buy yourself something nice. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just to clarify. I got my first grey hair at 15. Im mid twenties now and it's not really a salt and pepper look anymore. It's getting to be more of a salt look. I agree it looks good on some people but I don't agree with this on myself. It gets very annoying when someone states the obvious and says 'you have grey hair'. Oh do I, I never noticed. So I want to curtail the look. I might try the blackstrap molasses although I don't have much hope that it will do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

I gave in to inevitability. If I'm going grey, I'll let it go grey. If I start going bald, what am I going to do? Wear a wig?

NTM

It would certainly be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I'm in my early 20s and starting to go grey. Well, white/silver is a better description and tbh I couldn't care less. My dad is fully white and I think it looks pretty cool.

I have pretty short hair so its not too noticeable yet, but I have bigger things to be worrying about in life :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

There's going gray and there's going gray... by this I mean that it's not always a negative thing - George Clooney and Richard Gere being cases in point.

Remember, while we men may not live as long, while we do there will never be a shortage of 20-year-olds with Electra complexes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

NTM
    Shave your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Grey hair is the tits

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

anon grey wrote: »
    Just to clarify. I got my first grey hair at 15. Im mid twenties now and it's not really a salt and pepper look anymore. It's getting to be more of a salt look. I agree it looks good on some people but I don't agree with this on myself. It gets very annoying when someone states the obvious and says 'you have grey hair'. Oh do I, I never noticed. So I want to curtail the look. I might try the blackstrap molasses although I don't have much hope that it will do anything.

You'll get even more stick if you hair mysteriously turns black again overnight, just let it go.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭julio_iglayzis

anon grey wrote: »

I was in the same boat. First grey hair at 15, I had seven or 8 of them localised in the centre of my head, giving me the appearance of someone who had a feather glued to their scalp. When I went to college I dyed my hair and to be perfectly frank, I looked ridiculous, like a male Deirdre Barlow.
    People also fed me the "you have grey hair" line many times, as if I wasn't in possession of a functioning mirror. That'll stop one day. It's far better to hear that than "you have an atrocious dye job and you're fooling nobody" anyway.
    I know it's far easier said than done, but acceptance is key. It's infinitely better than losing your hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I've noticed in the past 3-4 years more and more grey peeking through. I'm 31 now so am hardly an oldie tbf. I actually quite like it and don't have an issue with it.

I'm not sure how cool I would be with it though if I was totally grey at a younger age. Some people can carry that off no doubt, but i do see your point OP. Have you discussed your hair with a barber/hairdresser? I mean a good one? Maybe there is a style that you can get that will make you more comfortable with the greying of your locks. Maybe they could suggest a good quality dye if that was something you wanted to explore?

If none of that works or is possible, I say embrace the grey dude :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

You could give 'Just for Men' or 'Grecian 2000'(does it still exist?) a go and see how you get on. I have no idea how good or otherwise they are, but they are the best known brands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

OP if its a problem for you explore the options - feck what people think and head to your GP and ask about it.

Smokers also go grey earlier.

http://www.disabled-world.com/health/dermatology/hair/gray-hair-causes.php

I was in the Grooming Rooms a few months back for a haircut and the barber said people do it all the time

http://www.thegroomingrooms.com/barbering.php#colour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

ive just gone 30 and im going grey fast. there isnt anything wrong with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have been grey since I was 15. I am only 36 and I am as white as snow on top. It doesn't worry me anymore. I did try colouring it but I got tired of that fast and just let it go grey. Life is much too short to be worrying about these things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭thehairyelbow

I'm grey.... and I'm proud!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Been using just for men for over a year now. Its only takes five mins in the shower, once every few weeks, no effort really. At 27 dont want to turn grey just yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You will soon get bored of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joeyjoejoe83

Do you mind me asking how young is fairly young?

Im 31 and started going grey 5 or 6 years ago.Over the last few months Ive begun to notice grey hairs in my beard too.

Personally I couldnt give a crap and I get good feedback for it(the impending greyage).

I can understand though how some may be self concious because of it.

To answer your question,Ive never heard of anything that can be used to get your natural colour back.

You are right to avoid dyeing it.Every bloke Ive seen with their hair dyed looks IMO silly and its blatantly obvious they have done it.

I'm sorry but that last paragraph is complete bollocks! Been dying it for 5 years now and best decision I ever made. Ten minutes every 6 weeks and your done, generally after a haircut works best,that way most anyone notices is you got a haircut. Never has anyone ever noticed I do it,if they did theyd rip me to shreds. OP buy some Just for men and do it,I promise u I won't regret it!

P.s when I first started,only one guy knew cod he had same problem&was about same age but "too cool" to die it.anyway saw him recently after a few years and he was 50/50 hair colour. First thing he said to me was he regretted not dying it like me when grey first started. He said it was too late to start now but said a major regret. He looked about 35 & hes 28!

Just for men.....DO IT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I'm sorry but that last paragraph is complete bollocks! Been dying it for 5 years now and best decision I ever made. Ten minutes every 6 weeks and your done, generally after a haircut works best,that way most anyone notices is you got a haircut. Never has anyone ever noticed I do it,if they did theyd rip me to shreds. OP buy some Just for men and do it,I promise u I won't regret it!

P.s when I first started,only one guy knew cod he had same problem&was about same age but "too cool" to die it.anyway saw him recently after a few years and he was 50/50 hair colour. First thing he said to me was he regretted not dying it like me when grey first started. He said it was too late to start now but said a major regret. He looked about 35 & hes 28!

Just for men.....DO IT!

Ehhhh bollocks how exactly?

I said that every guy I have seen with a dye job looked silly and it was obvious which is the case.

Congrats on been happy with your own but that doesnt mean that all dye jobs look good.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Ehhhh bollocks how exactly?

I said that every guy I have seen with a dye job looked silly and it was obvious which is the case.

Congrats on been happy with your own but that doesnt mean that all dye jobs look good.

:rolleyes:

I think it's time. You'd be a really great catch for somebody!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭Kiva.D

OP, I think natural is the best - what is so wrong with grey?
    It can be incredibly attractive on a confident man of any age:

jay-manuel.jpg&w=120&h=100&zc=T&q=95s.jpg6173455.jpgrichard_gere_dr_t_and_the_women_001.jpg
    Jay Manuels steel grey hair is gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Neonjack

Natural

connery.jpg

Dyed

berlusconi.jpg

The choice is yours..............

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joeyjoejoe83

Neonjack wrote: »
    Natural

connery.jpg

Dyed

berlusconi.jpg

The choice is yours..............

I like how you've chosen the worst and best example to prove your point.....funny how you've only chosen old men to prove it! Probably because grey hair makes you look much, much older!!!! Lets look at it in black and white(pun unintended), grey hair is a sign of old age.FACT.
    Here are my examples:

Dyed....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqSDs-VD7tFt9tu3ChADehosnsubI-E-fpKYS2MvjEuLQVmqUt

dyed....
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTL8xpIb9kXXfqXvZ2WZEdtfDKhWgNESs8JRumyAil9qZSexSQJEA
    dyed...
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcS33u2Gd_-HKpkKECvKRKfU9UjbpXZVO8OU55YXkY6mus7rm3
    dyed...
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStsX-VGAtXIm6Zzq1k8HoL1-mKKJGlEK58PGBIkQjb1JdIDVvtkw
    Dyed....
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjSrHGcW6Y2I_LUbE5l3RfHwPFN_m8_ue8ydrxyFkBrNLJ_kjWfA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Neonjack

I was making the point (tongue in cheek admittedly) that you can look good with grey hair, but dying it can look horrific if done badly. Yes, your examples look good, but personally I'd rather grow old gracefully and naturally.

Advertisement