Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vasectomy

Options
  • 05-11-2008 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭

Any out there had a vasectomy?
    What was your expierience?
    Has your semen changed? ie look different
    Any problems etc

Thanks

Had the 'Snip'? 82 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    28% 23 votes
    Will do "someday"
    18% 15 votes
    No Nay Never!!!
    53% 44 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Interesting that some men say they will never have it done. Is it fear of the op or a masculine thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I'd kind of like kids.

And masculine fear thing. :pac:

In that regard, I involuntarily covered my 'fundamentals' at the thought of the snip. *Crosses self and liberally douses all round with Holy Water to protect self from any evil* :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Not a chance in hell.

Holsten wrote: »
    Not a chance in hell.

What are your reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My Dad did it after the fourth of us.

Tbh when I'm hitting my forties and I have all the kids I want, I don't see why the hell not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

Interesting that some men say they will never have it done. Is it fear of the op or a masculine thing?
    i probably would have got it done but my wife had a forced hysterectomy 18 years ago so that was that,i didnt need to.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

A vasectomy can be reversed and it's not something that surgeons do at the drop of a hat. there are underlying factors to it. I mean if a guy is married and has say 3 kids, then wants the snip, both himself and his wife have to go for a 'councelling session' and as far as I know she has to consent to it too

ChewChew wrote: »
    A vasectomy can be reversed and it's not something that surgeons do at the drop of a hat. there are underlying factors to it. I mean if a guy is married and has say 3 kids, then wants the snip, both himself and his wife have to go for a 'councelling session' and as far as I know she has to consent to it too

Incorrect,for example Dr Rynne in Clane ( longest practising at vasectomy in Ireland ) just requires the man to sign a consent form minutes before the op. The partner need not be present. His attitude is that its the mans body and he decides what to do with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Its a personnal choice thing but id never get it done!
    You where created like this so dont tamper with it!
    Id have the same view with cosmetic surgery etc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would be very surprised if this was the case. A wife doesn't need to sign a consent form for any other kind of surgery (assuming that the husband is conscious), so even talking to the wife would be an horrific breach of patient confidentiality.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

yeah if a woman went for an abortion (not starting a discussion about it) the father would nt be consulted by the doc, as its "her body" etc.

Dont think Id get it done. You never know when a marriage will end and if you get a new partner she might want kids. At the same time if you have 9 kids ..................

Incorrect,for example Dr Rynne in Clane ( longest practising at vasectomy in Ireland ) just requires the man to sign a consent form minutes before the op. The partner need not be present. His attitude is that its the mans body and he decides what to do with it

Clane general hospital is a private hospital. not everyone has that particular luxury!!
    seamus wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if this was the case. A wife doesn't need to sign a consent form for any other kind of surgery (assuming that the husband is conscious), so even talking to the wife would be an horrific breach of patient confidentiality.

Tbh, I dont know anyone who has ever had a vasectomy so from that point I dont know about consent etc. . .. but the only point I am 100% sure on the wife being involved is because it's the way it is done in the hospital that I work in and I've dealt with it on a few occasions!
    ryoishin wrote: »
    yeah if a woman went for an abortion (not starting a discussion about it) the father would nt be consulted by the doc, as its "her body" etc.

Ya but a woman is aborting a growing baby. vasectomy is a means of contraception in some cases. 2 totally different scenario's tbh.

Clane general hospital is a private hospital. not everyone has that particular luxury!!

Correct Clane Hospital is a private hospital. I never mentioned Clane Hospital!:confused:

Correct Clane Hospital is a private hospital. I never mentioned Clane Hospital!:confused:

of course! Sorry JR. . my bad! I opened your link and just saw the vasectomy under GA in Clane hospital. sorry!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Ya but a woman is aborting a growing baby. vasectomy is a means of contraception in some cases. 2 totally different scenario's tbh.

Yeah but when I hear how an abortion is a womans choice because she carries the child it gets to me, because as you say its a growing baby,thats part of the father too. The woman carries the child but the man carries the woman (hopefully).

If you needed your partner to sign a form to have a vas. then that would be double standards.

Im just ranting at this stage. Ill shut up now.

Dude, I'm really sorry but thats a major rant for somewhere else. Not mens health. There is no way in the world can abortion be compared to vasectomy!! no way in hell!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ok, can we keep on topic. This is not about abortion, this is about vasectomy.

Both are very emotive topics, but this is not a comparison, nor a debate about which is worse for the person involved.

So, back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Something I'd consider doing sooner rather than later (I'm 90% certain I don't ever want children, and I definitely don't want my life changed because of an accident). I reckon I'd pay a visit to a sperm bank first though, just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Being 20, I think it would be a bit premature to have a vasectomy yet :p I plan on having a few kids later in life! When I'm done with the kids thing, I wouldn't have a problem going for the vasectomy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

The best thing i ever got done.
    Taking away the crib and leaving the playpen!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭MrDaithi

my moto: don't mess with the plumbing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

If I were 100% sure it could be reversed I might consider it but I dont think so.But its my belief that a mans ego(or life force if you like)is so wound up in his virility and fertility that it is too risky.Also some women may feel there is something missing.Its a big chance to take unless it can be guaranteed reversed which I am not sure it can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Got it done 2 years ago (in earlyr 30's), haven't looked back since. the Doctor from Clane someone mentioned earlier was the guy who did it, but he also has a clinic in Blanchardstown. Was in and out in 20-25 min, cost 500Eur, No forms for wife to even look at before hand, let alone sign off on. Think the most uncomfortable part was having to wear speedo's for a week afterwards!!
    Think the decision is very dependant on your situation, 5 years ago would never have considered it, but after a few kids............

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Got it done 2 years ago (in earlyr 30's), haven't looked back since. the Doctor from Clane someone mentioned earlier was the guy who did it, but he also has a clinic in Blanchardstown. Was in and out in 20-25 min, cost 500Eur, No forms for wife to even look at before hand, let alone sign off on. Think the most uncomfortable part was having to wear speedo's for a week afterwards!!
    Think the decision is very dependant on your situation, 5 years ago would never have considered it, but after a few kids............
    Just out of curiosity is it reversable or can you have a version of it done that would have a better possibility of being reversed.

I know that I am being a bit cynical here but if a young man could have "tempory" vasectomy then he would be less likely to fall into the situation of a girlfriend or temporary love buddy falling pregnant with all the can go with that.
    I am not suggesting it as the only protection a young man/woman should take against stds or unwanted pregnancies but it would be an added protection against unplanned pregnancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭alyuciao

Snipety-do dah, snipety-day.
    My oh my what a wonderful LAY
    I can come in sunshine, can come in rain.
    Snipeyt-do-dah, coming my way.

Hoping to get it done in July

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Can't see myself ever getting it done, tbh. People can say "painless this" and "harmless that" all they want.... I'm terrified of doctors/hospitals etc. at the best of times, but to imagine them carving through one of the most important parts of my body and screwing around with the tubing.... No way José...

Stupid and irrational fear, I know! But I just would not be able to bear the thoughts of it!!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Had my Vasectomy last August and must say the couple of days discomfort endured while the swelling goes down are well worth the long term peace of mind it brings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Had it done a couple of years ago. We had four kids at that stage so it wasn't a hard decision to make... best decision we made ...bit of discomfort but i was back in the saddle within days :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Definitely will get it done in my 30s/40s. Want to have a few kids first but then I'll eventually rather the protection-free no-pants-dance :)

I don't get the whole fertility/virility thing. IMHO the peace of mind and the aforementioned riding without a helmet would be liberating and empowering :)

(DISCLAIMER: If I'm single after it's done I will of course continue to use protection; but hopefully I'll be happily married by then:D)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement