Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do u class as 'underweight'?

Options
  • 19-02-2007 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

ok so what do you all class as underweight?.. im 15, about 5 7"-5 8" and a size 6-8,,, am i underweight???:confused::confused::confused:

and no i dont starve myself, far from it... (just thought id let that b known :D)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Dudett

Check your BMI (Body Mass Index)
    Google it, and you should come accross a BMI calculator and You put your weight and height into it and it tells you if you under or over weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

The BMI is useful for Jo(e) Bloggs but is not applicable to many athletes.

You don't give your weight above for us to calculate the BMI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

You're only 15 so there's a good chance you just haven't filled out and gotten your "womanly curves" yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

If you're 15, then you're probably okay. You have a few more years to fill out. There aren't many people I know who have the same body now as they did when they were 15 (I'm 25). The BMI is used for fully grown adults and can be inaccurate.
    For example, I'm 5'7 and 115lbs. According to BMI, I'm underweight. But I don't have an eating disorder or work out til I collapse. I do watch what I eat and work out, but that's because I'm trying to develop healthy habits for the future.
    Do be careful though, if you're on the thinner side. I know when I get upset or get sick, I lose my appetite and don't want to eat, and I'm not really in a position to be skipping meals for very long.
    Just keep on eating ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Some people are just petite. If you're eating is ok, chances are you've just got a good rate of metabolism. Some people just have smaller structures. Certainly nothing wrong with it.
    Personally, I'd consider people whos bones are quite apparent, such as their ribs sticking out, as underweight. People who look starved, like Nicole Richie or Victoria Beckham...very unattractive girls imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

The BMI isn't really a good thing to go by. If you're small and extremely well built muscle wise, you will be deemed overweight when you mightn't have an ounce of fat on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

Weight is a really weird one to judge. I am 5'5 and a couple of years ago I weighed 8.5 stone, which actually sounds OK, but I looked absolutely wretched.
    Bones sticking out all over the place. I look my best at about 9.5 stone.

It all comes down to your build, and how you carry your weight.

You are probably a petite build and so a 6/8 suits you.

If I was a size 6 it would mean I was seriously unwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

PlayGirl wrote:
    ok so what do you all class as underweight?.. im 15, about 5 7"-5 8" and a size 6-8,,, am i underweight???:confused::confused::confused:

and no i dont starve myself, far from it... (just thought id let that b known :D)

You can't really ask us if you're underweight if you don't tell us your weight.
    But as long as you eat properly, you're probably fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

The BMI classes underweight as <18.5 I'm 17.3, but I'm just 18 anyway..hopefully it should go up. I can't gain weight anyway.

OP, you're fine, you're only 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

You might be too light for your height, but you won't be fully developed and rounded in breasts, ass, calves etc for another 5 years or so. I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't try to be skinny if it's not natural for you.

I personally would count under size 6 as under weight or anything below whats recommended in this chart
    weightheight.jpg

• Advertisement

**** the "right" weight if you can see any rib outline at all your too skinny

Advertisement