Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bmw 2 or 3yr warranty

• 09-10-2009 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

is the bmw warranty 2 or 3 years .i have an issue with my car which was imported in from england and the main dealer here has told me that it is only a 2 year warranty

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The uk cars were sold with 3 year warranty. The irish cars have only 2 year warranty. Your 3 year warranty will stand but it might take a bit of messing with the irish dealer. You could ring a uk dealer, give them your chassis number and get something from them to say that the car is covered and can be fixed in any irish dealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I am open to correction here but I think the third year of the UK BMW warranty is a dealer warranty. Maybe this is what the Irish BMW is referring to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭dragonsgates

Defo 3 years.

BMW garage must fix it here, they may charge you but you can recoup the cash from BMW UK. It may take a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Scouserfan

bazz26 wrote: »
    I am open to correction here but I think the third year of the UK BMW warranty is a dealer warranty. Maybe this is what the Irish BMW is referring to?
    This is correct the third year of warranty in the uk is covered by the dealer and the UK distributor, it is not a factory warranty, therefore it is not valid here in the republic, but an agreement should be made between you and the UK dealer where the car was bought as to how much they will pay the Irish dealer to repair car.
    Do not just get it repaired and assume that the UK dealer will cover the cost, the price must be agreed prior to repair to avoid all hassle and remember exchange rate also !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭reverandkenjami

Scouserfan wrote: »
    This is correct the third year of warranty in the uk is covered by the dealer and the UK distributor, it is not a factory warranty, therefore it is not valid here in the republic, but an agreement should be made between you and the UK dealer where the car was bought as to how much they will pay the Irish dealer to repair car.
    Do not just get it repaired and assume that the UK dealer will cover the cost, the price must be agreed prior to repair to avoid all hassle and remember exchange rate also !

Not true!! The warranty is fully valid in Ireland and dealers have no problems getting paid nor will they charge you anything extra!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Scouserfan

Ok reverend I bow to your superior knowledge, but can you explain why scooter started the thread then ?
    is the bmw warranty 2 or 3 years .i have an issue with my car which was imported in from england and the main dealer here has told me that it is only a 2 year warranty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Scouserfan wrote: »
    Ok reverend I bow to your superior knowledge, but can you explain why scooter started the thread then ?

Perhaps the dealer trying to screw a customer.

I know of a case where a 2.5 year old S Class merc here from uk on hols had a turbo failure. Drives it to an irish dealer who quotes 6k for the repair + more for hire car as its outside warranty after owner saying he was sure it was under warranty. Anyway he rings his dealer in uk, within half hour, his car was collected from house here in ireland with a replacement new E class on the truck for him to use while being repaired and returned to house when fixed. He is a very wealthy man and I guess the irish dealer thought he was a fool but after paying them a visit, he actually got a letter of apology from the dealer and an offer of a free service but he wouldnt go near them again. Thats the kind of crap we are dealing with here.

Ok since nobody is exactly 100% sure then the OP needs to ring BMW UK and verify a breakdown of the UK warranty, i.e. is it 3 year manufacturer's warranty or 2 years manufacturer's warranty + 1 year BMW distributer/dealer warranty.

If it is the former then under EU directive an Irish BMW dealer should be obliged to repair a warranty issue. If it is the latter then the OP will need to come to some sort of agreement with the dealer in the UK to them to pay for warranty issues carried out by an agreed BMW dealer here.

I think why some dealers here don't want to touch it is because of the extra hassle of trying to claim the money back from the UK distributer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

http://bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/owner/services/new_car_warranty/0,,1312___dht-aHR0cDovL3d3dy5iYXllcmlzY2hlYm13Lm5ld2RvbG4ubmV0,00.html
    bmw.co.uk wrote:
    Warranty Outside UK
    Every new vehicle supplied by a BMW (UK) Limited authorised dealer carries a worldwide warranty. For the first 24 months, should your car need to be repaired under warranty outside the UK then it must be taken to the most convenient BMW Dealer in that country and the work will be carried out under warranty, provided you can show that the vehicle is still within the 24* month warranty period. This can easily be done by producing the service booklet and showing the 'FREE PRE-DELIVERY INSPECTION' box stamped by the selling dealer.

The 3rd Year is only valid in the UK. If you travel abroad on holiday, however, and warranty work needs to be carried out, please retain all invoices and any replaced parts where possible and on your return to Great Britain contact your local dealer who will process your claim for you.

OP, do you still have the the warranty booklet and where did you buy the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭scooter 007

ya i still have all the details that came with the car.i have bought the car second hand and its pre delivery check was done on the19/11/2007 which means it is still under warranty but when i asked the dealer about how long does the warranty last he told me 2years.so is there any way of me definetely finding out what is the truth

• Advertisement

Scooter- pm sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭scooter 007

ok go this sorted today .rang bmw ireland and gave them my chassis no and they said i had a 3yr warranty -great until i went to the dealer who told me i had only a 2 yr warranty so i had to ring bmw ireland while sitting in the bmw garage with the service manager who would not ring them for me as he was adamant i only had a 2 yr warranty and had to pass him on to the person i was dealing with in bmw ireland when i got through to him.so he told him i had a full 3 yr warranty and there was no problem.so why did the dealer not want me to have the 3 yr warranty -i thought if something was to go wrong with my car they would just invoice bmw?.anyway thanks for all the help from everyone

ok go this sorted today .rang bmw ireland and gave them my chassis no and they said i had a 3yr warranty -great until i went to the dealer who told me i had only a 2 yr warranty so i had to ring bmw ireland while sitting in the bmw garage with the service manager who would not ring them for me as he was adamant i only had a 2 yr warranty and had to pass him on to the person i was dealing with in bmw ireland when i got through to him.so he told him i had a full 3 yr warranty and there was no problem.so why did the dealer not want me to have the 3 yr warranty -i thought if something was to go wrong with my car they would just invoice bmw?.anyway thanks for all the help from everyone

I think it is down to the fact that there is more time and paper work involved in claiming the warranty cost back from outside the country. It also sounds like that particular Service Manager was a bit ignorant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,710 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I would write a letter of complaint to the MD of the dealership. That service manager was rude and ignorant and he clearly is in need of some training.

Fair play to you for persisting though :)

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think it is down to the fact that there is more time and paper work involved in claiming the warranty cost back from outside the country.

There's no extra time/paperwork involved. Its the same process as an irish car

Advertisement