Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding

Options
  • 23-11-2008 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

The other day I got pulled over for doing 70km in a 60km zone. The guard was fairly nice and took details etc. I didn't have my licence on me so he told me to bring it to a garda station within 10 days. He said nothing about a fine or penalty points though. What happens now? Do I just get something in the post?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Did you bring it to the station?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭scoot on

Not yet. He said within 10 days and it was only 3 days ago.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Head to the station before you forget!
    As for points - I'd say that its quite likely!

kbannon wrote: »
    Head to the station before you forget!
    As for points - I'd say that its quite likely!

Thanks. I defo won't forget. Going to go tomorrow.

I thought it was kinda strange that he didn't mention anything about the points or fine when he stopped me though. I thought he would have said something.

scoot on wrote: »
    Thanks. I defo won't forget. Going to go tomorrow.

I thought it was kinda strange that he didn't mention anything about the points or fine when he stopped me though. I thought he would have said something.

All your question will be answered tomorrow, you never know:D

• Advertisement

All your question will be answered tomorrow, you never know:D

Will they tell me in the station?

I've never had to go the station for anything before. What'll they check?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

In my experience he didnt say because,you will think that he is a nice guy for a while,and then bang,let us know how it goes.....good luck

Will they tell me in the station?

I've never had to go the station for anything before. What'll they check?

To be honest, i don't know, haven't been there myself yet touch wood:p. I'm sure they will tell you, just don't forget. Things will get worse if you don't turn up.:D

Ok thanks. Will let ye all know! So mad at myself.
    I just thought going to the station was completely separate because I didn't have my licence on me. I thought I'd just have to go down and show it to them and that'd be that.

Lol, the brother was done for 56 in a 50. Coming home on his lunch and on the road to our house. Imagine how he felt lol Tisn't the end of the road

• Advertisement

Lol, the brother was done for 56 in a 50. Coming home on his lunch and on the road to our house. Imagine how he felt lol Tisn't the end of the road

haha now that would drive me mad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

I just thought going to the station was completely separate because I didn't have my licence on me. I thought I'd just have to go down and show it to them and that'd be that.

You're correct.

The guard needs you to produce your licence and/or insurance. He'll need your driving licence details for the fine, if he issues one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You'll get a nice letter in the post soon with a speeding fine and not carrying your drivers licence fine/summons. From reading on here and other places the Gardai have developed a habit of not telling you if they are fining you or letting you off with a warning.

Make sure you get some sort of record when you show your drivers licence and insurance cert, even if the Garda didn't ask you to produce this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Similar thing happened with me a while back.

Got pulled over for crossing the hatching as you enter a motorway but I didn't have my insurance cert on me. (on my bike)

He said the penalty was 2 points (for crossing the hatching) and that id have to produce my cert to my local station.

Did so the next day. Asked about the points and the local Garda said i just have to wait and see.

A year later and nothing ever arose.

Advertisement