Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Disadvantages to buying an imported UK car

Options
  • 29-07-2014 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I've looked through the sticky thread in relation to this topic but can't really see what i'm looking for.

Are there any disadvantages to buying an imported UK car from a dealer?

Obviously these cars are cheaper than their Irish equivalents so was just wondering is there a downside to these cars?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,143 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm just curious as to why you would think there maybe any disadvantage with a used UK car over a used Irish car?

UK cars are generally better equipped, better maintained and in better condition. Of course you can get dogs over there too but there is alot better information available when doing background checks than what is available over here on Irish cars.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The cars that dealers import here are in general poor. "Send that to Ireland" used to be a term used in the trade, and it's still relevant. Many are clocked and/or have missing or dodgy pasts.

HPI every import using the original Uk reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Biscuit80

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'm just curious as to why you would think there maybe any disadvantage with a used UK car over a used Irish car?

UK cars are generally better equipped, better maintained and in better condition. Of course you can get dogs over there too but there is alot better information available when doing background checks than what is available over here on Irish cars.

I don't have an opinion either way really, I'm currently hunting for a used car and had seen some of these UK imports with better spec & lower price than an 'Irish' car and was wondering if there were any drawbacks

The cars that dealers import here are in general poor. "Send that to Ireland" used to be a term used in the trade, and it's still relevant. Many are clocked and/or have missing or dodgy pasts.

HPI every import using the original Uk reg.

That's a very generalized comment. I've bought two UK second hand cars from dealers here including my current car, and both have been above board and better than anything similar originally for sale here. Both came with fully documented and verified service histories and bought through reputable sources in the UK. Irrespective of what country the cars originally came from if you do proper research on the sellers and background checks on the cars then there should be very little issues. I didn't save much in the way of money by buying a UK car over a similar Irish one but I did get a better car which was my main priority.

If you don't do any proper due diligence and only look at the cheapest priced ones in their range then chances are you will encounter cars with colourful or hidden histories being sold by the bottom of the pond feeders that could easily be Irish or UK sourced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Biscuit80 wrote: »
    Are there any disadvantages to buying an imported UK car from a dealer?

From a main dealer, I wouldn't worry about history.

Disadvantages are when selling it on, rightly or wrongly there's a bit of a stigma with imports which is the reason you'll see cars advertised as "Irish car".

Unless digital, the speedometer is in MPH.

Sterling is now around €1.26 so exchange costs have gone up about 10% in the last year or two.

• Advertisement

I had no issues selling my last car, full documented service history with receipts from day one, got good money for it too. You would be hard pressed to find a similar original Irish car.

Also I think that some people make the mph dials into a bigger issue than it needs to be. People are naturally resistant to change and seem to forget that cars only came with kph clocks here since 2005. People resisted that too at the time until they got used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Better specs all 'round especially air con which some importers still think we can do without. The vital savings are in the exchange rate so I'm going to wait until the new year and pray. !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

That's a very generalized comment. I've bought two UK second hand cars from dealers here including my current car, and both have been above board and better than anything similar originally for sale here. Both came with fully documented and verified service histories and bought through reputable sources in the UK. Irrespective of what country the cars originally came from if you do proper research on the sellers and background checks on the cars then there should be very little issues. I didn't save much in the way of money by buying a UK car over a similar Irish one but I did get a better car which was my main priority.

If you don't do any proper due diligence and only look at the cheapest priced ones in their range then chances are you will encounter cars with colourful or hidden histories being sold by the bottom of the pond feeders that could easily be Irish or UK sourced.

I did use the words "in general".

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Juran

We bought 2 high spec cars in the last 2 years from the UK (3 years old and 2 year old). Yes, it works out cheaper, but the main thing for us was the specs - it is very hard to find the same in Ireland .... specs like automatic, bluetooth, parking sensors, music systems, hardrives, leather, and loads of other little things. They seem to be standard in the UK on all BMW, Audi, Merc, etc.. They both had very low milage with service logs with full history, dealer stamps, etc.. we've had no issues with them. They looked and felt like new cars, even had that new car smell, not a scratch, dent, nothing. We were told they were driven by company executives so the back seats seemed to have been untouched (ie. no kids). When it comes time to change my car in about 2 years time, I will def import from the UK again ... hopefullly the euro will have picked up against sterling - as already mentioned in this post, its very expensive right now.

Edit: sorry, just saw that the OP read 'from a dealer' - apologies, I thought you were asking about buying from the UK.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    From a main dealer, I wouldn't worry about history.

Disadvantages are when selling it on, rightly or wrongly there's a bit of a stigma with imports which is the reason you'll see cars advertised as "Irish car".

Unless digital, the speedometer is in MPH.

Sterling is now around €1.26 so exchange costs have gone up about 10% in the last year or two.

Just because a dealer is selling a used car won't change it's murky past.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Just because a dealer is selling a used car won't change it's murky past.

Well maybe, but I think large branded dealers offload crap to the trade. I'm thinking for example if I was buying a BMW "approved used" car in the UK I wouldn't need to check if it was clocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

+1 here

• Registered Users Posts: 33,101 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Isn't it illegal for a RoI dealer to sell a car with a UK plate?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Isn't it illegal for a RoI dealer to sell a car with a UK plate?

They are allowed to keep them on their forecourt until they are sold at which point they register and VRT them for the new owner.

It is private residents who are not legally allowed to sell foreign registered cars here. Still doesn't stop them though, just have a browse of DD.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,101 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So if you buy a UK reg car off an individual, and go to get it VRTd, are you going to struggle to get it done?

Do dealers have to do the re-registration for you, or can they sell you it with UK plates on and let you do the paperwork afterwards?

The NCT may well look for evidence ie ferry tickets to prove that the car was brought into the country within the allotted time frame. Though you could always say you bought it up North I suppose.

Not sure the dealer can sell you the car to VRT yourself or not, don't see the point really of going through the hassle when the dealer can do it on your behalf.

Advertisement