Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't afford broadband, planning to rely on tethering. Best network/bundle for this?

Options
  • 08-10-2014 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Moving into a new place and I've decided to tether to my phone's internet as my sole means of getting online. I've never done this before, and I'm wondering what my best option is? I'm a fairly heavy user, netflix, downloading films, etc.

I'll be getting a new phone, probably 4g enabled, and I'm currently on Three's "All You Can Eat" thing for 39.95. However I know Three have now forbidden tethering. Would a different network serve me better? Any particular phones? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Thrillhouse11

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Three are the only network with all you can eat data and they technically don't allow it and could clamp down at any time.

Your plan is a bad one. Mobile and heavy regular use don't go.

OK, thanks I suppose. What would you say is a better, cost-effective alternative? I haven't really begun to look into any broadband packages.

After some digging around the word seems to be that while 3 have a limit they don't really adhere to it, and unlimited really does mean unlimited. Is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

Yes they are unlimited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

If you are going to be using more than 15GB per month your only option would be Three as noone else will let you do it without starting to charge you crazy money for each MB used.

But:
    - While they don't enforce it, officially there is no tethering (they could start enforcing it anytime)
    - While they don't enforce it the limit is 15GB which if you use Netflix a lot is probably not enough (they could start enforcing it anytime)
    - Depending on where you live, data speeds could be awful, and even if acceptable they will be no match for wired broadband (since you already have a Three SIM at least you can get an idea of how the network performs in your area)
    - If you are using your phone intensively as a modem/router everyday, it *might* reduce its lifespan

You can give it a try since you already have the subscription, but with your usage I suspect you will get frustrated and want to get proper broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Change to PAYG with three, you get the pretty much the same thing for €20/mo. Then spend 30-€35 a mo and get real broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

Bob24 wrote: »
    If you are going to be using more than 15GB per month your only option would be Three as noone else will let you do it without starting to charge you crazy money for each MB used.
    Tesco are not so bad on PAYG. You get 15GB per month for €15, but if you use it all up in a week say, you can buy another €15 addon and start the month again since there's no billing date. For mobile broadband €60 for 60GB is far from crazy money. (coverage same as O2, and no 4G yet)

Three's price is probably better, but only if you've a long term internet problem or don't mind being tied in to a contract.

Advertisement