Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cisco EPC2425 modem/router help

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭wishwashwoo

hi all i am living n the dorset street area i have the 10meg upc broadband package all was fine till 3 days ago now i have to keep resetting the modem/router its a cisco my internet works for an hour then it just dies tryed everything only thing that fixes it is resetting its starting to get on my wick if it does not sort it self out soon it going true the window at speed a lot more than 10meg i can tell you if anyone can trow some light on this i would really be greatful thank you all in advance..........

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Gdep

A firmware upgrade was done to the cisco modems. thats what i was told by upc. this is the reason for everybody losing their connections. the wireless channel is set to auto everytime the cisco modem is reset and this option just does not work. if you change the channel to 1,6 or 11 his should solve the dropping wireless.

For anyone that cant log into the modem if the blank username and password doesnt work you can do the reset at the back and that will revert the password and username to blank.

Very helpful chap in UPC for once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Gdep wrote: »
    A firmware upgrade was done to the cisco modems
    When was this? Since this morning, my wireless router isn't bridging the connection from my Scientific Atlanta cable modem :(

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bunglemark2

Evening all.
    Apologies if this is like reopening an old wound, but I cannot seem to get access via wireless to the Cisco EPC2425 router. As I sit here typing, I'm hardwired into the back of the router, and I can get into the control panel to see where I "think" I should be going, but can't seem to figure out what the settings should be for wireless connectivity from the laptop. Then again, I'm not entirely sure what the settings are in Windows !
    Tried the "Repair" function in Windows and still couldn't pick up a wireless network. So I'm a bit stymied here.
    Presumably, I don't need to hardcode IP addresses for the Wireless connection ? These are set to "obtain automatically".
    What I don't see straight off, is where to set the SSID/WEP key combination, so that these credentials are passed to the router, and hey presto! we're off 'wireless'ing' from anywhere around the house !
    Please help
    All help gratefully received
    B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Have not been in the config on this box in ages but now that my BT DSL is cancelled I shall be using UPC connection the whole time so will be taking a look at bridging.

I, like many, think these 2425's are absolute pieces of dirt and are insulting of the Cisco badge!

Anyway's - one thing that solved many issues for me was when I realised that it does not like having non alphanumerics in the WPA key (i.e. stick to a-z and 0-9). Once I got rid of other characters I have not had a problem connecting wirelessly to it using an array of OS's and devices.

Hope this helps someone out there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bunglemark2

Thanks mate, but it's using WEP 64-bit, not WPA (though I know it should be set to use the latter for security).
    It's the brother-in-laws machine. I was round there trying to sort it out and couldn't get a connection via the wireless connection to the router. I know there's a setting somewhere in the console and again on the Windows wireless setup but I don't see it straight off...
    I'm looking at the settings on my own BT Voyager and it's fairly straightforward to configure..
    The wee icon on the taskbar is not picking up a wireless device right from startup so.....am baffled....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've bridged my modem to another router so my cisco modem is just getting the internet connection and my router is doing all the routing and it has improved things massively. I recommend it to everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Based on previous posts I will lose my phone service if I use bridging so not sure that's a runner for me:confused:

Anyone know what UPC's policy would be on giving me a 2nd 2425 to get around this? i.e. - I could hook the 2nd one onto another cable point and just use it for the phone service??

Edit: the cheeky side is thinking another 30Mb on the 2nd point too - but cannot admit it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pablob

Heya lads I presume this is the place to post this (though feel free to move this post/redirect me to a new area)

Only a small problem (i've set up torrents and all is going well!)

I just realised I can't use safari with this router (even when I revert to original router settings)

Not a huge problem but safari does essentially have filemusiczilla/orbit downloader built into it via the activity window so it was very handy for some things....

Any ideas on how to get safari working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I've bridged my modem to another router so my cisco modem is just getting the internet connection and my router is doing all the routing and it has improved things massively. I recommend it to everyone.

I had this setup too, but it was still just such a terrible modem. It does everything, just really badly. I complained, UPC called me, said they would send out a tech. When the tech called out I asked him if he had one of the old modems. He said that he had one out in his van and changed it for me. He said that they were like golddust at the moment since they only have the old modems from when they change people to the new ones and everyone seems to want them back!

Now I am happily running a DD-WRT enabled router connected directly to my PDC/DNS/DHCP server and everything runs so much better. The internet connection drops out from time to time (maybe once a week) but it comes back up of it's own accord so it's only ever down for literally 30 seconds amd it's normally middle of the night too. Happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Is there any way to keep their phone service working while bridging to another router. My parents have their phone service and I want to bridge the modem for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

When you put your modem into bridging mode I am guessing it turns off the DHCP and the router gets a new IP. Anyone know how I would find this IP so I can get into the modem config?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

irishguy wrote: »
    When you put your modem into bridging mode I am guessing it turns off the DHCP and the router gets a new IP. Anyone know how I would find this IP so I can get into the modem config?
    Try 192.168.100.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

Jonathan wrote: »
    Try 192.168.100.1

That worked thanks. Is there any way in getting the router to work in bridged mode and use the phone service at the same time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Just got UPC broadband today with this router. I don't seem to be having as much trouble as other people (well, so far) but I don't know how much of that is due to the newer firmware. The firewall seems to be working well enough, nothing apparently getting needlessly blocked (I set relevent port forwarding, etc.), and the wireless seems to be much more stable and giving a better signal than my old Netgear router (DG834GT, miss the modded Linux firmware :( ) though I'm not using the supplied antenna.

Some weird things I have noticed:

- "Fixed CPE IP Assignment" (what a convoluted title!) is retarded - to assign a fixed IP address to a device, the device cannot be connected to the router otherwise it'll give a "duplicate MAC address" error. So it's impossible to do if you only have one functioning PC at the time.

- DynDNS doesn't seem to work, I just get "Unrecognized return code. ()"

- The "online user guides" link goes to a website that no longer exists! *slow claps*

So it has some faults but it doesn't seem completely terrible (yet!), not Netopia terrible at least :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jocko4

I also have this piece of S**T - I went into the wireless settings advanced & changed the "Xpress Technology" from disabled to enabled - it might be too early to say but it seems to have improved the wireless response speed. Has anybody else tried this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fame monster

Hey i just got it installed today with a cisco router and its really bad i pressed wireless and stuff and it works every few mins i dunno what to do its a 30 mb and its rly slow im wondering is it my router its like cisco router with modem in 1 so i have 1 box someone please help me my parents are going to kill me if i dont get it working i think i broke it but im not sure.. no i didnt i just pressed some stuff i have the tv and phone too btw.. any help appreciated i went to the cisco homepage and i just dont kno ...... please help me !! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

At the back of the router is a little pin hole.
    With it powered up - press and hold the button inside (with a pen) for 10secs.

That'll force it to reset everything to normal conditions.

Reboot and you should be up and running again using the wiress instructions provided - i.e. just enter the SSID and password UPC gave you.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭irishj

- DynDNS doesn't seem to work, I just get "Unrecognized return code. ()"

If you enable the service and restart the modem, then go back to 'dynamic dns' in the settings, you'll see it's enabled.

Just crappy firmware :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I was in a mates house yesterday trying to sort an issue for him & I noticed that I couldn't access 192.168.100.1 using firefox but could access it using IE8?

What's that all about?

He's using the old NTL\UPC modem & Netgear router.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

irishj wrote: »
    If you enable the service and restart the modem, then go back to 'dynamic dns' in the settings, you'll see it's enabled.

I noticed it had actually worked at some stage, but AFAIK it will only send an update to DynDNS every time the IP address is renewed - since this hasn't happened to me yet, DynDNS thought my account had gone idle and were threatening to close it. So I had to set up a client on one of my PCs instead :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I just got upc in the other day, and while i was having some issues with browsing once I changed over to google dns these seem to have resolved.

I just had a small question about something that i thought was a little strange... I can access my cisco EPC2425 on both 192.168.100.1 and 192.168.1.1 .. how is it using two ips?

well, I say access.. I can only log into the .100.1 *after finding the password on boards tyvm*, no matter what password I try I can't log into .1.1

it's not a pressing issue, it's just bloody weird.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I just had a small question about something that i thought was a little strange... I can access my cisco EPC2425 on both 192.168.100.1 and 192.168.1.1 .. how is it using two ips?
    192.168.100.1 because it is defined as the gateway address in the DOCSIS standard be far as I know.

192.168.1.1 because it is the default gateway for the 192.168.1.1/24 network, which your devices are on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

I am getting UPC installed next week with broadband and phone service. I have Vodafone at the moment and my setup is plain ADSL modem in bridge mode which then connects into a router. I want to keep this setup when I get UPC, I've ordered UPC 15mb so I'll get a free wireless router.
    Am I better off asking for the plain modem not wireless in that case? As there is no work around for bridge mode with phone service with the EPC2425. Does anyone know the model UPC ship without wireless?
    Thanks for the info!

Scientific Atlanta EPC2203

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

center15 wrote: »
    I am getting UPC installed next week with broadband and phone service. I have Vodafone at the moment and my setup is plain ADSL modem in bridge mode which then connects into a router. I want to keep this setup when I get UPC, I've ordered UPC 15mb so I'll get a free wireless router.
    Am I better off asking for the plain modem not wireless in that case? As there is no work around for bridge mode with phone service with the EPC2425. Does anyone know the model UPC ship without wireless?
    Thanks for the info!

If it were me I'd request the older Scientific Atlanta EPC2203 modem (Not the Cisco EPC 2425 ) and the Netgear wgr614v6

scientificatlantaepc220.jpg

They don't supply them as such anymore but they do have them & if you push the issue they will give it to you.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Rewired

gurramok wrote: »
    Disable the router firewall(which helped me) or switch off 'ip flood protection' so says another poster on the forum I had read somewhere :).

Big thank you for this post, even with just 1 peer connection at any speed, I would get timeouts, enabling IP flood detection changed all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

I just got upc in the other day, and while i was having some issues with browsing once I changed over to google dns these seem to have resolved.

well, I say access.. I can only log into the .100.1 *after finding the password on boards tyvm*, no matter what password I try I can't log into .1.1

it's not a pressing issue, it's just bloody weird.

I've a question about this.
    I cannot log in to my cisco router from 192.168.1.1
    I havent tried 192.168.100.1 as i've just seen it now, and im away from home

Are they both the same logins?
    I've also factory reset the router and thought that would clear all logins to null/null, but i still cant get into 192.168.1.1

Any idea's?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Siim

Hi.

How do I switch my Cisco EPC2425 to bridged mode? Didn't find any settings regarding that in configuration menus.

edit:
    OK, just had to disable WiFi and go to: http://192.168.100.1/GatewayMode.asp and set it "Bridged".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭wishwashwoo

hi all and a happy new year to you all does any one have the password to access the cisco 2425 it never used to ask for a password you just clicked on ok and it let you into settings any help on this would be great cheers all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Colmrenault

Using a Linksys WRT610n with the UPC Cisco EPC2425 (wirless disabled). Works a treat. No dropping from the 5 or 6 devices I use.

Hi Mister Gooey, this is exactly the arrangement I was going to set up but I read on another thread that if I disable the wireless that it turns off the phone line. I was wonder if you use the fone line feature and if you have had any issue with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ptrehy

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    thanks for the reply.

correct me if im wrong but doesnt the equipment supplied belong to me? so i can use it as i see fit?

my WPA key is rediculously simple and i want to change it. i also want to open ports for uTorrent and the xbox. are we no longer allowed to do these things? this is ridiculous. can i request the older equipment with the netgear router? at least then i can buy my own linksys router and get some 3rd party firmware on it to monitor my usage.[/QUOTE

From my memory there is no password assigned on initial installation, simply press return on the password screen. You will then be prompted to add your own password.

You will then be able to change your SSID and WPA key by scrolling to bottom of page (Wireless setup)
    Let me know if this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Can people please stop dragging up old threads, especially when there is an active sticky on this subject.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement