Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a phone from a lad on adverts

Options
  • 15-10-2014 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Says its unlocked and he is selling because he got an upgrade ! "I know :-)"

Is there anywhere I can check a number from the phone to see if its stolen or anything else about it ?

Thanks

SPCW

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

Get the imei.
    http://www.imei.info/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

spcw wrote: »
    Says its unlocked and he is selling because he got an upgrade ! "I know :-)"

Is there anywhere I can check a number from the phone to see if its stolen or anything else about it ?

Thanks

SPCW

It could also happen after you buy it he reports it as stolen or makes a claim with the insurance, it happened to a few people in adverts before, buy a user with feedback that has sold before, check feedback and try to collect from his house.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

nava wrote: »
    It could also happen after you buy it he reports it as stolen or makes a claim with the insurance, it happened to a few people in adverts before, buy a user with feedback that has sold before, check feedback and try to collect from his house.

I agree with you completely on only buying from people with decent feedback but good luck with the last part.

I've bought and sold phones, laptops, TVs and so on on Adverts over the years without any issues and only once did I meet someone at my place (as they were collecting a rather bulky TV) and even then it was after checking their feedback and PMs.

Aside from that, not a chance would I be inviting some random punter to my home. Check their feedback, meet in a public location, check and test the phone before you hand over the cash, and you will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

If it is an iPhone, ask for the IMEI or serial number and enter it here: https://www.icloud.com/activationlock/

Apple will tell you if the phone is activation locked (i.e. tied to someone's Apple ID, making it impossible for you to use it without that person's password). If it is locked, ask the seller to remove the lock. If they say they can't do that => don't buy it, it is likely a stolen phone.

Otherwise my rule for buying something expensive from adverts: only from someone who has positive feedback from a couple of users and spreading over several months (not someone who just registered). And I would be cautious if they neither have the original box, accessories, nor any form of sales receipt.

Advertisement