Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for 1st timers with young family

Options
  • 15-01-2014 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I'd like to hire a motorhome for Easter holidays in Ireland this year. This would be our first time. There's 4 of us, including 2 boys (2 and 5 :o). I'd appreciate any suggestions on where to hire (what would be standard pricing?), the size of motorhome, camping locations with things to do with children (are there any good places around Fota island)? Anything to point first timers in the right direction really :D. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Hi Inigo ,
    The majority of our customers are first timers so let that not be of any concern regarding renting.
    Your 2 boys will love the experience and it will be an adventure they will never forget.
    For a little comfort and space we would always reccommend a 6 berth for a family of 2 adults and 2 kids.
    We price our 4 and 6 berths at a similar price so you should definitely consider a 6 berth option.
    If you were flexible with your dates , we have a special offer at the moment running until April 10 .
    We can offer a luxury 6 berth 2011 vehicle at € 100 per night. This price includes insurance for 1 driver.
    That price rises to € 130 per night after April 10th.
    Feel free to email me for more information.
    Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

I wouldn't confine yourself to a campsite, plenty of ways to keep the kids busy. Kiss the blarney stone, it's only a few minutes away from Cork City. Head out towards West Cork for fantatic beaches and scenary. Head on further out to the Dursey Island cable car. Loads of things to do around and the whole idea is you can bring the camper with you.

They've recently opened a few aires in cork too, this provide a no frills safe place to park. Have a look at the article below.

www.irishexaminer.com/text/ireland/cwmhidkfqlmh/

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

Thanks for the comments. I was thinking of a campsite/caravan park, even perhaps a mobile home, so that we can "relax" a bit and maybe give the boys the chance to meet other children and play with them. Also if I can avoid driving every day it would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

inigo wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments. I was thinking of a campsite/caravan park, even perhaps a mobile home, so that we can "relax" a bit and maybe give the boys the chance to meet other children and play with them. Also if I can avoid driving every day it would be great!

A mobile home rental would probably be better if you don't plan to move around. Much cheaper and you should find a site that ticks the boxes.
    As an alternative to a camper you should consider a trailer tent. You'd have a good one bought for the same price as renting a camper for a week. Some of them are huge when opened out but very compact once folded in. They would be ideal if you plan on using campsites only and don't want to move around too much once there. You'd still have the freedom of heading off to whatever corner of the country you fancy at a moments notice without the hassle of a camper.

Here's a example, the spec varies hugely on them:
    http://www.donedeal.ie/camping-for-sale/conway-trailer-tent/5511481

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

Trailer tents look great... if I was camping in warmer climates! I don't mind the cold but tell my southern european wife we are going to spend a night in Ireland under a tent! :o:o They actually remind me of the "half" caravans we saw so may of in Australia, hard bottom half/soft top when installed, trailer-like when being towed...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

If you're going to Fota in a motorhome I strongly recommend you avoid the closest campsite. We paid to fill up our water tank and to charge our leisure battery. We showered and used the toilet in the motorhome as the facilities were so bad.

Instead there is a fantastic safe carpark in Cobh- overlooking the water, beside a playground and just opposite the police station. We've stayed there plenty of times with our 3 (5 and under), and there are sure to be plenty of other campers there in April.

As others have said, strongly recommend a 6 berth, and don't forget to bring your bicycles for exploring!

You'll have a ball :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

demoreino wrote: »
    Hi Inigo ,
    The majority of our customers are first timers so let that not be of any concern regarding renting.
    Your 2 boys will love the experience and it will be an adventure they will never forget.
    For a little comfort and space we would always reccommend a 6 berth for a family of 2 adults and 2 kids.
    We price our 4 and 6 berths at a similar price so you should definitely consider a 6 berth option.
    If you were flexible with your dates , we have a special offer at the moment running until April 10 .
    We can offer a luxury 6 berth 2011 vehicle at € 100 per night. This price includes insurance for 1 driver.
    That price rises to € 130 per night after April 10th.
    Feel free to email me for more information.
    Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

Hi Kevin

Your Camper vans look great, I am also a newbie so hope you dont mind the questions

We are based in Cork and was thinking of hiring a camper for 3 nights in middle of Feb (2 adults, 2 kids) to go around Killarney/Kerry.

Would we have to drive to Mayo to collect the Motorhome or could we collect it /drop it off closer to home?

Thanks again

Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Hi Dan ,
    Thanks for the compliments . Much appreciated .

We provide a pick up and drop off at other locations at a fair price for rentals of 7 nights or more .
    For rentals of 3 nights it would make your rental quite expensive , even allowing for our great prices of € 100 per night at the moment :-)

Would you consider spending 3 nights exploring the rugged beauty of Mayo ? If you enjoy the experience you could do Kerry / Killarney later in the year .
    Kevin (www.iwmotorhomes.ie )

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

Hi Kevin

Thanks for that

If we dont do nothing this Feb due to logistics .. who knows:)
    Will definitely be thinking of getting one for the week later on

Looks great fun. My kids (..us!) would have a field day..Cheers again and bound to meet up in the near future

Regards
    Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭urbanshirl

Agree with previous poster re nearest campsite to Fota. We live in Cobh, and the free parking spot at the Five Foot Way is fantastic. It is literally a stones throw from the town, there is a kids playground at either end, and if you didn't want to move your van, you could get the train to Fota, as the train station is right next to the waterfront.

• Advertisement
Advertisement