Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cowen, Denis O Brien Topaz and Irish Politics

• 02-05-2014 10:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭

Well seeing as you cannot leave a comment on the Independant website, I wonder why, thought i might see here if anyone had any thoughts on this article

http://www.independent.ie/business/former-taoiseach-brian-cowen-appointed-to-board-of-topaz-30239366.html

I for one will not be buying any Topaz products

really gives you an indication of where it all is in this country and Denis O'Brien is all pervasive it seems

Says a whole lot for Brian Cowen............

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I always thought Topaz was just Shell renamed due to their reputation damage from the corrib pipeline controversy. At least Cohen has some skills. A majority of state body board members arent skilled to run a corner shop never mind a multi-billion euro company

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

hfallada wrote: »
    I always thought Topaz was just Shell renamed due to their reputation damage from the corrib pipeline controversy. At least Cohen has some skills. A majority of state body board members arent skilled to run a corner shop never mind a multi-billion euro company

Agree 100%..Leonard is one of the most accomplished singer/songwriter/poets of the 20th and 21st Centuries....but I'm not quite certain what qualities Denis O'Brien thinks he'll bring to the Forecourt Retailing business...?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

I suspect Denis might be trading the game he plays for shelter.
    Yes, he wants to trade the game he knows for shelter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

This appointment of Brian Cowen to the board of Topaz by Denis O'Brien gives the public an opportunity to demonstrate their disgust at what has happened to this country in the recent past without too much inconvenience.
    Boycott Topaz, take your business elsewhere, get too birds with the one stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Jackal756

Dennis O Brien will own everything soon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Denis O'Brien has enormous business experience and a wealth of contacts. A no brainer for any ambitious corporation if they can get him. Cowan, a former minister of finance and Taoiseach has numerous political connections and CS contacts, he probably comes relatively cheap as his stock is fairly low.

Shock horrer, Irish petrochemical distributor signs two successful local lads to their Board...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Denis O'Brien has enormous business experience and a wealth of contacts. A no brainer for any ambitious corporation if they can get him. Cowan, a former minister of finance and Taoiseach has numerous political connections and CS contacts, he probably comes relatively cheap as his stock is fairly low.

Shock horrer, Irish petrochemical distributor signs two successful local lads to their Board...

Cowen didn't come cheap for the rest of us !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Shock horror, Denis O'Brien didn't just join the board of Topaz, he bought the companies loans for chump change from IBRC, leaving us, once again, to pick up the tab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Villa05

<cough>watch last nights Late Late show on how Liam Lawlor made his way on to the boards of a certain Developers companies<cough>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

I'm sure that's his reasoning. But I'd wonder what contacts of value Cowen would have now.

I think your point about his stock being low at present is apt. It may be a longer term bet, that Fianna Fail will recover in the years ahead. And, sure, maybe that's what will happen. Then Denis will get the benefit of extending his goodwill before that recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Have I done my sums right when I say that this monopoly will save the state less than 200k per annum (i.e fuel will cost about 1 cent less per liter?)

Dennis O'Brien is cancer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Boycott Topaz seems to be a good answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

I'm not so sure I would share Tabnab's definition of Brian Cowan as a "successful local lad"....not yet anyway.

I would be fairly certain that Brian Cowan's stock has a fair bit more to fall,as the ACTUAL sequence of Decision Making around the Irish Bankers housecall to Brian Lenihan,emerges.

From recent leaks,it now appears that Mr Cowan was the ACTUAL decision maker that night,with Mr Lenihan apparently unable to deal with the crock of shyte that had been brought to his door by the creme de la creme of Irish High Finance.

I would suggest that Denis O Brien would have been far more "at-one" with the visiting bankers,than with Mr Lenihan,which opens up a somewhat appalling vista concerning the events since that night,particularly such events which may have actually been beneficial to certain interests now emerging to re-establish themselves.

Either way,I would see the Cowan appointment as unusually out-of-step with Irish Public Sentiment right now...and even Denis O Brien may want to have regard for such sentiment.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

The interview.

DOB. describe to us your strengths and weakness's, why should we hire you

BC. I am an alcoholic who destroyed a political party, i destroyed Irelands banking system, i was unqualified to be a leader. i ruined countless people lives.

I was Minister for Finance between 2004 and 2008 when the property bubble reached terrifying proportions.

I ignored all dire warnings, both from economic commentators and within the Department of Finance.

I gave Ireland's toxic banks a State bailout, even though it ended up costing the taxpayer €64bn.

Now I need a new job, I only barely survive on a ministerial pension worth a €140,000 a year. Do you know how hard it is to live on €2,800 euro a week.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...caricature.jpg
    Anglo ... the bank that gives loans for anything.

Today's news .........
    Anglo Irish banker Willie McAteer could face new criminal charges over an €8.2m director's loan he received just hours before the Government rushed through the bank guarantee.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/willie-mcateer-got-82m-loan-on-day-of-bank-guarantee-30242254.html

Maybe we just need a factual dirt page, all the scams these boys have been pulling. **** knows what alcoholic Cowen has been talking about when he is pissed.

Towards the end of 2007 he was known in his local in Rahan (tullamore) for shouting " the countries ****ed " when he pissed outta his head.

The interview.

DOB. describe to us your strengths and weakness's, why should we hire you

BC. I am an alcoholic who destroyed a political party, i destroyed Irelands banking system, i was unqualified to be a leader. i ruined countless people lives.

I was Minister for Finance between 2004 and 2008 when the property bubble reached terrifying proportions.

I ignored all dire warnings, both from economic commentators and within the Department of Finance.

I gave Ireland's toxic banks a State bailout, even though it ended up costing the taxpayer €64bn.

Now I need a new job, I only barely survive on a ministerial pension worth a €140,000 a year. Do you know how hard it is to live on €2,800 euro a week.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...caricature.jpg

Maybe we just need a factual dirt page, all the scams these boys have been pulling. **** knows what alcoholic Cowen has been talking about when he is pissed.

Towards the end of 2007 he was known in his local in Rahan (tullamore) for shouting " the countries ****ed " when he pissed outta his head.

Pissed maybe,but still the most factual assessment of Irelands then position,and certainly more astute than anything on RTE or the media at large ?

Mind you,for a supposedly savvy businessman,Denis O Brien is really playing with fire with this appointment...as the true story of Ireland's collapse begins to emerge,Brian Cowan will become almost as pursued as Davy Drumm.....I wonder if Offaly has an extradition agreement with Dublin..?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Personally, I don't get why anyone would be buying from Topaz /before/ this. Since they effectively withdrew the fuel card by removing any semblance of saving, their fuel is more expensive than any other vendor. I only ever buy from them in an emergency, and then only enough to get me to another station. Do people not look at the prices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

I suspect Denis might be trading the game he plays for shelter.
    Yes, he wants to trade the game he knows for shelter.

Indeed. Cowen could shelter pretty much anyone. He has his uses. Wouldn't like to have him land on me though.

Indeed. Cowen could shelter pretty much anyone. He has his uses. Wouldn't like to have him land on me though.

:) I'd consider him Toxic,in terms of the collateral damage he could inflict on a company,should he be drawn back into the Crash Investigation.

Last weeks Anglo Judgement has effectively ensured that Paddy Neary's retirement will become a tad more eventful,and thus,the knee-bone,thigh-bone,hip-bone effect will come back into play....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

it was amazing how quickly Topaz appeared after the Shell oil spill.

I'm not really bothered about Cowen or anyone joining a company. That's their business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    it was amazing how quickly Topaz appeared after the Shell oil spill.

I'm not really bothered about Cowen or anyone joining a company. That's their business.

The issue with Topaz is that it is a virtual monlopy. It was creted by the failure of the Competition Authority because some one was asleep at there desk. It bought up Maxol, Shell and the Statoil franchise's/distributors. Not sure what share of the market it has at present but after it bought Statoil it had over 70% of the car fuel market.

It is more than likly costing consumers at least 2-3c/L on car fuel. Topaz was a creation of Ronan and Barrett ( Treasure holdings ) I think who actually created it to gain access to some prime sites that Shell and Maxol had to develop them At one stage it looked like there would be no car fuel suppliers in the middle of any Irish city.

The lack of competition in the Car/transport fuel sector is a serious issue and may be a hidden copst within the economy. The reason for this is that any person or compay that uses a fuel card has liitle option but to deal with Topaz as it has the only national distribution network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

The reason for this is that any person or compay that uses a fuel card has liitle option but to deal with Topaz as it has the only national distribution network

I'm pretty sure that Esso has a nationwide chain, Applegreen (Petrogas brand) is building one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

antoobrien wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that Esso has a nationwide chain, Applegreen (Petrogas brand) and is building one.

No not nationwide, in some cases you may have to travel 30 miles to access fuel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Isn't that just a matter of planning?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

Denis O'Brien has enormous business experience and a wealth of contacts.

He was set up in life by his wealthy daddy. He had access to information not available to entrepreneurs of lesser breeding. The people who have worked for him say he's a genius, when they speak of him in public (in private, they say he's an eejit). He made his seed money, not through business expertise (he was on the verge of bankruptcy through his legitimate activities), but through bribing a government minister.
    A no brainer for any ambitious corporation if they can get him. Cowan, a former minister of finance and Taoiseach has numerous political connections and CS contacts, he probably comes relatively cheap as his stock is fairly low.

You mean Cowen would be good for future corrupt enterprises. One of the attitudes that has led to disaster in Ireland, has been this notion that "everyone's at it", promoted to the impressionable and ambitious. Bribing politicians is not a good practice in the long run. I would say the reason O'Brien made so much head way in the Caribbean, is he was willing to play to his strengths, in a way the major telcos were not.

As far as politics goes, Cowen is a spent force. I believe O'Brien is really doing this to stick the finger to the Irish people in general. Many of the "investments" he's made in Ireland, do not seem to have a business logic. The purchase of media assets seems more about narcissism than business.

Shock horrer, Irish petrochemical distributor signs two successful local lads to their Board.

Topaz is a minnow. The majors have had the capital and economies of scale to get the best locations and profits. Most board positions in Ireland are just backhanders to the upper-class, they don't engage in any actual managerial activity. Any muti-national who comes to Ireland has to hire some of these "successful" people, or they find themselves running into problems. But they're not the kind of people you'd let anywhere near the machinery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Anyone know a list of Denis O'Brien Irish business interests? Say if I wanted to boycott them all, as he's a cúnt?
    I know of these off the top of my head, and sure there's lots more:

Independent papers
    Communicorp (Newstalk, Today fm etc)
    Topaz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Anyone know a list of Denis O'Brien Irish business interests? Say if I wanted to boycott them all, as he's a cúnt?
    I know of these off the top of my head, and sure there's lots more:

Independent papers
    Communicorp (Newstalk, Today fm etc)
    Topaz

You soon won't be drinking water too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

GMC Utilities, Siteserve, Sierra....
    If it goes down a wire or flows in pipe, or under a public road, or it needs some kind of govt. licence to install it, Denis owns it.
    http://namawinelake.wordpress.com/2012/04/08/ten-things-to-know-about-the-denis-obriensiteserv-transaction/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

As far as politics goes, Cowen is a spent force. I believe O'Brien is really doing this to stick the finger to the Irish people in general..
    Doesn't make business sense though.
    If Martin was prepared for the leader's role by Cowen, just as Cowen was by Ahern, and Ahern was by Haughey, then surely there is always something still to be gained by going back a step? Whatever got them there, may still be there.
    It may be a longer term bet, that Fianna Fail will recover in the years ahead.
    If the current lot get whooped, that only leaves FF and SF, so its a reasonable bet, or at least a precaution, that FF will have some hand at least in the next govt.
    Just out of curiosity, if you wanted to curry favour with SF how would you go about it?
    Bearing in mind that directorships to large companies might prove embarrassing to both sides, and corporate donations to people of over €200 must be declared publicly since 2012 legislation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement