Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this false advertising? Bus company.

Options
  • 22-07-2014 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Is it false advertising to suddenly add unscheduled stops on a bus route?
    I'm on a bus at the moment that was advertised as direct but we made an unscheduled stop (I presume as the bus still had seats) as the unscheduled stop added extra time to the journey I will now be late for work (not a few minutes but very late as we are now also caught in traffic!). The bus companies website advises of changes to timetable but not to route, could I complain to advertising standards about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Is it false advertising to suddenly add unscheduled stops on a bus route?
    I'm on a bus at the moment that was advertised as direct but we made an unscheduled stop (I presume as the bus still had seats) as the unscheduled stop added extra time to the journey I will now be late for work (not a few minutes but very late as we are now also caught in traffic!). The bus companies website advises of changes to timetable but not to route, could I complain to advertising standards about this?

We don't have advertising standards here. The company will likely say that the route was changed to avoid a traffic disruption they were advised of and that they would have been even more late had they not done this. It's one of the joys of taking public transport

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

athtrasna wrote: »
    We don't have advertising standards here. The company will likely say that the route was changed to avoid a traffic disruption they were advised of and that they would have been even more late had they not done this. It's one of the joys of taking public transport

It's the N11 I'm travelling so where we came off (at Arklow) that really wouldn't be a plasable excuse. I can came to the consumer agency though? Is there not an EU directive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It's the N11 I'm travelling so where we came off (at Arklow) that really wouldn't be a plasable excuse. I can came to the consumer agency though? Is there not an EU directive?

Send the company an email if it makes you feel better but they probably have something in their small print allowing them to make last minute route changes. You'll get nowhere on this, the bus company will justify the change. No laws say they have to take an exact route regardless of circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

Send the company an email if it makes you feel better but they probably have something in their small print allowing them to make last minute route changes. You'll get nowhere on this, the bus company will justify the change. No laws say they have to take an exact route regardless of circumstances.

Will do. I've a screen shot of their terms and conditions saved as it was the first thing I checked and it wasn't mentioned so that's why I wanted to see if I could complain about false advertising. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Almost everything in this Country is false advertising, the small print always needs to be looked at prior to agreement. If it looks too good to be true then you need to look again.

E.G, mobile broadband companies offering "unlimited broadband" when in fact there's a cap of just a few GB.

Scandalous what goes on, but that's the world we live in today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Email the bus company and copy it to the national transport authority who licence bus routes. Info@national transport.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

hallo dare wrote: »
    Almost everything in this Country is false advertising, the small print always needs to be looked at prior to agreement. If it looks too good to be true then you need to look again.

E.G, mobile broadband companies offering "unlimited broadband" when in fact there's a cap of just a few GB.

Scandalous what goes on, but that's the world we live in today.

While it may have little relevance nowadays they will argue "unlimited" refers to no time restrictions not no data limits. It harks from the olden days of dial-up modems when you paid by duration online and charged different rates based on peak/off peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Email the bus company and copy it to the national transport authority who licence bus routes. Info@national transport.ie
    +1
    Bus Operators have to apply for a licence and are not allowed to add additional stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Contact the NTA - they regulate bus routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

The company will likely say that the route was changed to avoid a traffic disruption they were advised of and that they would have been even more late had they not done this.
    It reads to me that the route taken was unchanged, there was just a stop added. Maybe the OP could clarify.

• Advertisement
Advertisement