Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will the Medical Card misreporting and moaning stop

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

No nonsense being spouted, just facts. I am now going to dismantle your nonsense with four factually correct points.

1. Very easy to prove your grandmothers income, simply request a P21 from revenue which will show if she has a private pension or not.

2. The only way that the HSE would think that she is getting a private pension is if there is a P35 being submitted by her previous employer for paye and prsi on her pension.

3. Your grandmother would also be entitled to either Illness benefit or Illness Allowance on the basis that she has a long term illness. So she has an additional source of income to the old age pension.

4. If your Grandmother did have her medical card taken away, she would be entitled to a GP card in addition to the drugs payment scheme which means that the cost of her prescriptions would be capped at €144 per month.

5. She is also probably entitled to be on the Long Term Illness scheme, which would entitle her to free medication.

There are a lot of schemes here in Ireland that cover free GP care and free medication. The "medical card" is only one such scheme and is meant for a particular set of people in a particular set of circumstances, but for years people who should be on other schemes have just been dumped into the medical card scheme. IMHO the HSE are correct to try and sort this out and get people who shouldn't have a medical card out of that scheme. But they should also be a lot more helpful with getting people into the correct schemes that they should be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Good loser wrote: »
    I read some years ago that 90% of the people in Donegal have medical cards. Is that true? Another scandal for Pearse to chase down!
    No it isn't true. Try looking for the facts instead of believing everything you read. It isn't too hard to find the correct figure, about 55%. The eligibility rules for Donegal are exactly the same as for the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Good loser

echo beach wrote: »
    No it isn't true. Try looking for the facts instead of believing everything you read. It isn't too hard to find the correct figure, about 55%. The eligibility rules for Donegal are exactly the same as for the rest of the country.

I was asking a question. And you haven't addressed it? If the rules are the same how come 90% in Donegal might have the medical card? As I suggested Pearse might sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Good loser wrote: »
    I was asking a question. And you haven't addressed it? If the rules are the same how come 90% in Donegal might have the medical card? As I suggested Pearse might sort it.

You asked if it was true that 90% of the population of Donegal have a medical card. I answered by telling you that it wasn't true.
    90% of the population in Donegal DON'T have a medical card, about 55% DO. Nobody 'sorts' it. The people who think are eligible apply to the office in Finglas and if they are eligible they get one, if they aren't they don't. Where you live doesn't make any difference.

Advertisement