Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free Wifi coming for prisioners

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Is called discipline.

Okay, discipline is complteley pointless then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

magma69 wrote: »
    I think there should be a classification system of prisoners based on rehabilitation potential but prisoners can move up (or down) categories based on behaviour and participation.

Would that work though? Would you have to keep the prisoners segregated?
    Otherwise you could end up in a situation where someone who might be in category A (high rehab potential) starts acting up because he's getting a hard time.

Norway don't advertise this guy too much when looking for endorsement of their system.

http://m.thelocal.no/20130802/norwegian-burglar-jailed-for-671st-break-in

Nobody is claiming their system is perfect. Just a lot better than some others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

This is ridiculous. You'll have scumbags drug dealing on boards.ie and all sorts of carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

This is ridiculous. You'll have scumbags drug dealing on boards.ie and all sorts of carry on.

Eh what? There is no drug dealing going on now, why would that change if a prisoner had internet access?!

Holsten wrote: »
    Eh what? There is no drug dealing going on now, why would that change if a prisoner had internet access?!

You could buy an ounce in AH and drive past 'the Joy' and they'll toss it over the fence when the guards aren't looking.

:D

wexie wrote: »
    Otherwise you could end up in a situation where someone who might be in category A (high rehab potential) starts acting up because he's getting a hard time.

Yeah, segregation essentially. I guess some would say it's unethical to give some prisoners more opportunity to rehabilitate than others but on the other hand you could see it as unethical allowing some impressionable kid who took a wrong turn and have him turned into a hardened career criminal due to influence of criminals with little to no chance of rehabilitation.

Yeah, segregation essentially. I guess some would say it's unethical to give some prisoners more opportunity to rehabilitate than others but on the other hand you could see it as unethical allowing some impressionable kid who took a wrong turn and have him turned into a hardened career criminal due to influence of criminals with little to no chance of rehabilitation.

I can't see how it would be unethical as long as everybody is given the same opportunity to earn the chances. If they don't because of their behaviour then well so be it.

I'd have little issues with a system like that, although I think it should go hand in hand with putting a stop to this multiple conviction nonsense we seem to have going on at the moment. Which means much harsher sentences and sentences that are actually carried out. (probably not enough capacity for that I'd imagine).

You could buy an ounce in AH and drive past 'the Joy' and they'll toss it over the fence when the guards aren't looking.

:D

Exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

There is a type of classification of prisoners , there is a new insentivised regime were prisoners who follow the rules get paid more money and have more freedom than others, On the matter of the amount of people returning to prison day in day out and not being helped to change imo most times the prisoners DO NOT want to change,What we are all forgetting is that the majority of the prisoners I have come across in my 28 years working as a PO have been rared ti that life,Their parents have been through the system and they have absolutly NO interest in doing anything differently. There is NO rehabilitation programme that will change that fact. There are so many facilities in the irish prison system that can help IF they want the help.What school in Ireland has a ratio of 6 pupils to a teacher ??? There is a huge gym in every jail in the country and courses can be taken by prisoners , They are given huge oppertunities if they WANT them , The idea of wi fi I find hilarious . I just hope it watched as much by managment as the officers one is , they should have no problem if it is .
    ;);););););)

Holsten wrote: »

How do you know there isn't? What do you think all of the TV licence and motorway overtaking threads are about?

cordub wrote: »
    There is a type of classification of prisoners , there is a new insentivised regime were prisoners who follow the rules get paid more money and have more freedom than others,

See as much as the current system clearly isn't working I do have serious issues with that. It shouldn't be a case of : follow the rules and you'll get more money. It should be : don't follow the rules and you'll get less money.

Less carrot, more stick I say. It shouldn't be an issue for those few that want to better themselves and it might just change the minds of those that don't.

It sounds to me like you speak from a position of more experience of the prison system than a lot of people here.

What do you think of all of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

See as much as the current system clearly isn't working I do have serious issues with that. It shouldn't be a case of : follow the rules and you'll get more money. It should be : don't follow the rules and you'll get less money.

Less carrot, more stick I say. It shouldn't be an issue for those few that want to better themselves and it might just change the minds of those that don't.

It sounds to me like you speak from a position of more experience of the prison system than a lot of people here.

What do you think of all of this?
    I am watching this closely and seeing offenders who were extremly dangerous years ago now being allowed to be part of the new regime , as per usual with the ps it is not being run correctly, very few prisoners are being taken out of the new system even when they break the rules , to me that totally defeats the purpose. We Po s are watching and waiting to see how long it will be till someone gets seriously hurt because of the freedom given to certain prisoners , The system does nothing by the way to rehabilitate prisoners its just a way to reduce staffing numbers by saying we have so many prisoners "behaving" them selves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

If it is access for staff only, they probably won't be able to access the internet.

It's not as if the Prison Service can't lock down a network properly anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

God preserve us from the bleeding hearts. There are thousands of people living in abject poverty in this country, who can't provide the basic needs for themselves or their families. Their only crime was to live in a country run by corrupt politicians and greedy bankers. Save your sympathy for them rather than for those who prey on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

I am watching this closely and seeing offenders who were extremly dangerous years ago now being allowed to be part of the new regime , as per usual with the ps it is not being run correctly, very few prisoners are being taken out of the new system even when they break the rules , to me that totally defeats the purpose. We Po s are watching and waiting to see how long it will be till someone gets seriously hurt because of the freedom given to certain prisoners , The system does nothing by the way to rehabilitate prisoners its just a way to reduce staffing numbers by saying we have so many prisoners "behaving" them selves

The problem is that the IPS have never really been interested in rehabilitation. Most rehabilitation have come from either the Prison Education Service, or The Probation Service, both of which are independent of the IPS.
    That said, a lot of good work has been done by Prison Officers in a personal capacity, something they receive feck all recognition for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

No longer the case the plan was scrapped recently,thats an end to that.

http://www.herald.ie/news/no-free-wifi-in-prisons-as-plan-scrapped-29782537.html

No longer the case the plan was scrapped recently,thats an end to that.

http://www.herald.ie/news/no-free-wifi-in-prisons-as-plan-scrapped-29782537.html

Only because of the infeasibility of it, not because anybody considered it might be morally preferable to consider the needs of the old and the sick rather than to mollycoddle criminals.

bmaxi wrote: »
    God preserve us from the bleeding hearts. There are thousands of people living in abject poverty in this country, who can't provide the basic needs for themselves or their families. Their only crime was to live in a country run by corrupt politicians and greedy bankers. Save your sympathy for them rather than for those who prey on them.

FFS, why is it so difficult for people to grasp the rationale behind taking the Norwegian style approach? It's completely about saving the state money and preventing further victimisation. The sympathy is lying with society as a whole, not with the criminals. If there were less criminals to keep inside causing the tax payers 65K a year per prisoner, there'd be more finances available to help those people you mention.

It's actually opinions like yours that cause more problems, you're just too blind and caught up in emotion to realise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭apache

There is a type of classification of prisoners , there is a new insentivised regime were prisoners who follow the rules get paid more money and have more freedom than others, On the matter of the amount of people returning to prison day in day out and not being helped to change imo most times the prisoners DO NOT want to change,What we are all forgetting is that the majority of the prisoners I have come across in my 28 years working as a PO have been rared ti that life,Their parents have been through the system and they have absolutly NO interest in doing anything differently. There is NO rehabilitation programme that will change that fact. There are so many facilities in the irish prison system that can help IF they want the help.What school in Ireland has a ratio of 6 pupils to a teacher ??? There is a huge gym in every jail in the country and courses can be taken by prisoners , They are given huge oppertunities if they WANT them , The idea of wi fi I find hilarious . I just hope it watched as much by managment as the officers one is , they should have no problem if it is .
    ;);););););)
    cordub I think you and me both know this was pie in the sky. Free Wi-Fi for prisoners was never going to be sanctioned. Was it the Daily Mail that got wind of this story? :rolleyes:
    Its so ridiculous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭apache

The problem is that the IPS have never really been interested in rehabilitation. Most rehabilitation have come from either the Prison Education Service, or The Probation Service, both of which are independent of the IPS.
    That said, a lot of good work has been done by Prison Officers in a personal capacity, something they receive feck all recognition for.
    Rehabilitation? What is this word? IPS have not been interested in it? What is this prison service education service ( go to school twice in one week and do nothing except cause trouble and get a glowing reference for wait for it....the probation service who if they sit in a room and make the effort and grunt for 5 mins... voila the prisoner has great reports for court!)

Same for drugs counsellor...

I do despair sometimes at the state of our courts system and the people who think like your good self that they use all these facilities that are open to them for good and understanding.

Thanks for saying that P.O's get little recognition :D

It does hammer it home when people are rallying/complaining about 24/7 alliance. Our union is ****!

FFS, why is it so difficult for people to grasp the rationale behind taking the Norwegian style approach? It's completely about saving the state money and preventing further victimisation. The sympathy is lying with society as a whole, not with the criminals. If there were less criminals to keep inside causing the tax payers 65K a year per prisoner, there'd be more finances available to help those people you mention.

It's actually opinions like yours that cause more problems, you're just too blind and caught up in emotion to realise it.

Just because criminals' welfare is low on my priority list, I'm emotional.
    The problem with bleeding hearts is that the only thing visible from their supposed lofty vantage point is their own large intestine.

bmaxi wrote: »
    Just because criminals' welfare is low on my priority list, I'm emotional.
    The problem with bleeding hearts is that the only thing visible from their supposed lofty vantage point is their own large intestine.

Why don't you explain how making life harsher for prisoners is a better option then instead of ad hominem? Some evidence to back up your viewpoint would be great.

Advertisement