Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non visible wifi

Options
  • 16-05-2016 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've got a newish Win10 laptop. I've had no problems previously finding and connecting to a wifi network.

At a customers office I was able to find the public access wifi and connect to it using my phone - so it is there and is working.

However, my new laptop could not see this network. It could see the employees wifi network. I tried a few things like disabling the wifi card and then searching for it and turning it off and on again. All to no avail. No one else in the room had problems connecting.

Why was my laptop throwing a fit? It was kind of embarrassing in the clients room not being able to connect my laptop.

What do I need to do or what could the problem be?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If its new we'll assume it has a 5Ghz radio, but check anyways, and most public APs are still using 2.4.

That being true the #1 suspect is regions. Some areas use CH1-11, others use CH1-13. Devices from/set to regions using 1-11 won't search CH12 and CH13 so if the AP is broadcasting there its invisible to them.

The limitation isnt always removeable, I've a US revision laptop that'll never see those two CHs so really the solution is to tell them to configure their network properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

How can I check the configuration of my laptop for this? I'm offsite now though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Is there any way to check what Channel the customer's network is broadcasting on? As ED E points out it is possible that your wifi card just wont see the channels if it is a region issue. Was your laptop bought in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Bought in GB, used in NI.

Intel Dual Band Wireless - AC8260 is the card I believe. How do I find out whether it can pick up channels 12 - 13?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Change the wifi channel your router is using at the moment and see if the laptop can see the network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bought in GB, used in NI.

Intel Dual Band Wireless - AC8260 is the card I believe. How do I find out whether it can pick up channels 12 - 13?

I'm using 6235 chips and their driver doesn't give any clear dialogue to tell you, at least on Windows.

Easiest test is to setup a CH13 hotspot on your phone.

Advertisement