Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending Vodafone mobile internet signal

Options
  • 07-06-2016 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all,

Hope I'm in the right section here!

We've had serious issues with our Eircom/Eir broadband over the last couple of years - terrible speeds etc. So we're trying out Vodafone with one of their mobile internet boxes.

Couple of issues with it though
    1. There is no LAN output
    2. The WiFi signal is not very strong (It's a decent speed, but can't pick it up in a lot of areas around the house)

Our main PC is a desktop PC which does not have a WiFi receiver, so we need LAN connection.

We have a Netgear DG834G v2 router at home, so I'm wondering if this can be set up to take in the signal, and then used to give the LAN input, and also act as a WiFi extender?

Does anyone know if this is possible? I was looking it up over the weekend, but found it tough to find much relating to the Vodafone dongle (can't find a specific model of it, but looks like it's made by Huawei)

Any help appreciated.

Thanks very much,

N

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Vodafone used to do a Huawei ADSL wifi router, HG556a. It allegedly also works with a USB dongle, though I haven't used it myself. Not sure which dongles. You might get one on adverts or DD.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nheav

Thanks for that!

Hoping to be able to use what I already have though if it's possible!
    I started trying to do it yesterday evening, but the 1st part of setting it up on my Netgear Router is to get the MAC address of the Vodafone dongle.
    Couldn't find that anywhere!

Advertisement