Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway Football Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Think I remember McGinty looking decent for us in a friendly last year. Haven't heard anything about him since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Been looking at odds for the season ahead (online).

Paddy's have us at 4/1.
    Boyles at 9/2

Longford favourites with both. We're second favourites.

I did hear someone mention 5/1 but haven't seen where that is yet.

Anybody tempted by those?

Gonna stick a few bob down myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Col200sx wrote: »
    Been looking at odds for the season ahead (online).

Paddy's have us at 4/1.
    Boyles at 9/2

Longford favourites with both. We're second favourites.

I did hear someone mention 5/1 but haven't seen where that is yet.

Anybody tempted by those?

Gonna stick a few bob down myself.

11/2 ladbrokes

Odds for Friday are interesting.

Same odds with Boyles and PP.

Galway 8/5 Draw 9/4 Longford 6/4

• Advertisement

vyvcrQh.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Just on ticket pricing

Adult – €10
    Students/Senior Citizen – €7
    Family – €20 (Two Adults and two children up to the age of 18)
    Accompanied U12′s – FREE.

Pretty good imo.

The €99 season ticket (14 matches) works out at about the €7 concession match ticket rate, per match.

All those matches are on Friday nights, except the final match of the season which is on a Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

Well the wait is finally over, a new era and journey is about to begin. Really looking forward to watching some live football while lobbing back a large carton of chips smothered in salt and vinegar in the fresh air tonight, even the weather is looking like it'll be kind to us. C'mon Galway FC!

What a cracking day today in Galway for the season opener : )

Maroon jersey ready, season ticket bought, Galway FC backed at 11/2 to win the league (thanks to rarnes1 on that) and full of optimism.

Can't wait for tonight : )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The weather will certainly help bring a few more in. Looking forward to it now I must say!

Galway FC 0
    Longford Town 1

Great attendance, 2,418. Great atmosphere too.

Played well in the first half, but looked quite disjointed in the 2nd half I thought. Longford the better side.

Good reasons for optimism though. And I really hope the crowd continue like that.

Longford are clear fave's for the title for a reason. Drop the suspended players and the injured Murphy into the team and it's a differet ball game for Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Nearly 2,500 is a great crowd for the first division. Granted a new start for many that may not be there every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭deisedude

Unlucky to lose this one. Could arguably been 2 up with better finishing before Longford scored. The poster who said they look disjointed is right but thats to be expected in the early stages of a rebuilding process. Thought they were lacking a bit up front. The forwards were dropping very deep into midfield the whole time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Nearly 2,500 is a great crowd for the first division. Granted a new start for many that may not be there every week.
    There was about 1300 in Thomond Park for Limerick v Bray. The league needs vibrant clubs in these cities.

Was a decent performance too v Mayo League.

Especially in the second half when they really upped the pressure.

Jake Keegan coming off the bench changed the game, he was behind every good attack.

Only for the Mayo keeper it could've been 5 or 6 in the second half.

One thing that would worry me though is that too often with crosses they couldn't beat the first defender.

Other than that a good nights work. Small crowd though, can't have been much more than 150 at a glance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,265 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Was a decent performance too v Mayo League.

Especially in the second half when they really upped the pressure.

Jake Keegan coming off the bench changed the game, he was behind every good attack.

Only for the Mayo keeper it could've been 5 or 6 in the second half.

One thing that would worry me though is that too often with crosses they couldn't beat the first defender.

Other than that a good nights work. Small crowd though, can't have been much more than 150 at a glance.

To be expected for a League Cup game against Mayo on a Champions League night in fairness.

Waterford 0 Galway FC 0

Was following the game on Twitter, sounds like a point was a good result.

Happy with that.

• Advertisement

Probably appear like a stupid question to some of ye but what's the story with this Shamrock Rovers B crowd? Will they get promoted if they win the league and if not what's the point of them competing in this division?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Rovers B can't be promoted or take part in any cup competitions. Its partly to make the numbers up but mostly to give the young lads at the club an outlet for regular football. Most of them are overage so can't play in the under 19 league anymore. I'm surprised that other clubs haven't tried it before but I would imagine it's not a cheap exercise.

marwelie wrote: »
    mostly to give the young lads at the club an outlet for regular football.
    It was to make up numbers. Pure and simple.
    Most of them are overage so can't play in the under 19 league anymore
    Only 6 of the squad are 20 or over.
    I'm surprised that other clubs haven't tried it before but I would imagine it's not a cheap exercise.

Other clubs weren't allowed. At least one other club has said they approached the FAI, but evidently were kept in the dark about Rovers B as FAI only wanted one extra team. FAI will find a reason not to admit anyone next season I'm sure, like they do most years.

Frustrating night up at EDP last night. Crowd of 1,027 up there.

Never going to score, even if the game went on for another hour.

I didnt understand the substitutions either, taking off Owens, Manning and Keegan, I thought they were some of the best performers on the pitch.

Why didnt Vinny start? Was he carrying a knock?

This thread gone very quiet lately.

GFC 4
    Cobh Ramblers 0

Very well played, Walsh could've scored 5 himself, but got 2 and 2 assists.

Manning and Molloy with the others.

Bring on Shells next week : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This thread gone very quiet lately.

GFC 4
    Cobh Ramblers 0

Very well played, Walsh could've scored 5 himself, but got 2 and 2 assists.

Manning and Molloy with the others.

Bring on Shells next week : )
    That isn't our name and you should show a bit more respect for those above you in the table.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    That isn't our name and you should show a bit more respect for those above you in the table.

You serious or taking the piss?

You serious or taking the piss?
    Both. I'll let you do the guessing as to which was serious and which was taking the piss.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Quit the childish squabbling.

Well the lads certainly clicked last night and it was a welcome site. Really looking forward to the Shells match now next week, fingers crossed we'll take them, if they put in a shift like that of last night I don't see why not. The result and overall display should put a few more bums on seats as well, get a bit of momentum going.

The term robbed would be an apt word for describing tonight's match. Damn all between either side in the first half, damn all chances as well I suppose but Galway hit the ground running at the start of the 2nd half and kept it up for a good 15/20 mins solid as well, unlucky not to have put at least one of 3/4 good chances away one of which rattled the post. Fierce unlucky to get caught out like that in the end though especially after been so solid at the back all night. The ref didn't do us any favours either, thought he had a poor enough game. Feck it anyways.

Not to sure what the official attendance was either announcer said 965 right before half time and 5 minutes into the 2nd half he came on again and said 1070, not a bad crowd I suppose hopefully tonight's result won't turn a few of them off now for the Waterford match on the 2nd of May.

• Advertisement

TBP wrote: »
    The term robbed would be an apt word for describing tonight's match. Damn all between either side in the first half, damn all chances as well I suppose but Galway hit the ground running at the start of the 2nd half and kept it up for a good 15/20 mins solid as well, unlucky not to have put at least one of 3/4 good chances away one of which rattled the post. Fierce unlucky to get caught out like that in the end though especially after been so solid at the back all night. The ref didn't do us any favours either, thought he had a poor enough game. Feck it anyways.

Not to sure what the official attendance was either announcer said 965 right before half time and 5 minutes into the 2nd half he came on again and said 1070, not a bad crowd I suppose hopefully tonight's result won't turn a few of them off now for the Waterford match on the 2nd of May.

Robbed is a ridiculous term. Galway were the better team but didn't score. We were worth a goal based on our performance and in the end we got it.

Robbed is a ridiculous term. Galway were the better team but didn't score. We were worth a goal based on our performance and in the end we got it.

Ye created nothing of note all night and sneaked one at the death. A point would have been a good result for ye but to be heading back with the 3pts is a real bonus.

Ye created nothing of note all night and sneaked one at the death. A point would have been a good result for ye but to be heading back with the 3pts is a real bonus.

As I said, you were the better team. Put lots of crosses in but how many saves did our keeper make? We scored a goal. When you keep a clean sheet that's enough to win even when you've spent a lot of the game on the back foot. 4 cleans sheet from 6 for us. 4 games out of 6 where Galway have drawn a blank (I think). Tonight wasn't entirely surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

No way Shels deserved all 3 points to be honest. GFC were the better side all game without creating a ton of chances but if you don't score you leave yourself wide open to get a kick up the backside. And that's exactly what happened. They got a boot up the arse right at the end. Shels took their chance so fair play.

No way Shels deserved all 3 points to be honest. GFC were the better side all game without creating a ton of chances

So you don't create many chances, but then feel ridiculously aggrieved when the other team scores one goal? I mean id understand if you had us penned back for the whole game and we just caught you on the break, barring a 15-20 minute spell in the 2nd half it was fairly end to end and in the end it was us who took our chance.

If you guys are feeling this hard done by based on that performance last night, then I'm curious as to how you've played in the other games you've dropped points in this year.

• Advertisement

So you don't create many chances, but then feel ridiculously aggrieved when the other team scores one goal? I mean id understand if you had us penned back for the whole game and we just caught you on the break, barring a 15-20 minute spell in the 2nd half it was fairly end to end and in the end it was us who took our chance.

If you guys are feeling this hard done by based on that performance last night, then I'm curious as to how you've played in the other games you've dropped points in this year.

Shels were penned back for the whole of that 20 minute spell and were very lucky not to have conceded a goal or two even. And Shels did catch us on the break as well, right up until the last minute Galway were playing a very attacking game and unfortunately got caught with a sucker punch at the death. Leaving the ground last night I was and still am curious as to how Shels are top of the table. If that's the standard Galway FC a new set up that are still learning the ropes and trying to adapt to things aren't that far off what's required to seriously push for promotion all. Might not be this season but I'd be extremely hopeful of them getting beamed up next year.

Shels were penned back for the whole of that 20 minute spell and were very lucky not to have conceded a goal or two even. And Shels did catch us on the break as well, right up until the last minute Galway were playing a very attacking game and unfortunately got caught with a sucker punch at the death. Leaving the ground last night I was and still am curious as to how Shels are top of the table. If that's the standard Galway FC a new set up that are still learning the ropes and trying to adapt to things aren't that far off what's required to seriously push for promotion all. Might not be this season but I'd be extremely hopeful of them getting beamed up next year.

Only 2 of our firstteamers from last season were kept on after relegation. We are very much a new outfit too, sourced primarily from our under 19s.

We are top mostly because we've been able to play 3 of the favourites (Longford, Galway and Harps) 2 of them away from home, and not concede a single goal. When you keep a clean sheet you only need to score 1 to win. Our centrebacks yesterday were a combined age of 38. How well we've done so far this season has been remarkable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭deisedude

If Galway had a half decent striker we'd be laughing but we don't so mid table mediocrity looking more likely

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Been to enough football games to know if you don't take your chances you will be punished. Bit of naivety to be caught on the break at the end and when Shels got their chance they stuck it. On reflection we played a good game so it is not all negative. We are a young team so these lessons will have to be learned.

Good stuff, that win against Wexford was really important as the table indicates.

http://galwayfc.ie/index.php/airtricity-league-first-division-league-table/

Longford away up next now, a draw there wouldn't be bad result at all especially if it was followed up with a win against Waterford at ED Park the week after.

Good stuff, that win against Wexford was really important as the table indicates.

http://galwayfc.ie/index.php/airtricity-league-first-division-league-table/

Longford away up next now, a draw there wouldn't be bad result at all especially if it was followed up with a win against Waterford at ED Park the week after.

Important win, yes, but the margins in the table are so small at the moment that you can't read too much into positions imo. 4 points between 2nd and 7th. It was very important to bounce back after Shels though.

Longford next weekend. They've only scored 3 so far in the league and only conceded 3 also. I think if Galway can continue improving their conversion rate, they have a good chance.

Exactly as civis said. A couple of results either way and you can be right up there or languishing down the bottom.

A draw against Longford would be great.

I just really feel the lack of a striker that can finish clinically could come back to bite us.

Also food for thought....... Barry Moran is scoring for fun right now for Mervue Utd, he scored 6 last weekend against Corrib Rangers.

Transfer window opens soon enough, could he be the one to make a difference?

Exactly as civis said. A couple of results either way and you can be right up there or languishing down the bottom.

A draw against Longford would be great.

I just really feel the lack of a striker that can finish clinically could come back to bite us.

Also food for thought....... Barry Moran is scoring for fun right now for Mervue Utd, he scored 6 last weekend against Corrib Rangers.

Transfer window opens soon enough, could he be the one to make a difference?

The gap between junior and the First Division, crap as it is, is massive. Junior has been particularly bad for the last number of years too.

I completely disagree with the call to get a striker in. They have the players, they just haven't clicked. (Edit: Dunne playing them in the wrong positions is as much to blame as anything. Manning deep, Keegan on the wing, Walsh as a striker.) As someone who was actually as the games said to me, some team is due a drubbing from Galway (someone decent, not Cobh). Manning being played in his most effective role would be a huge improvement, whatever the hell Dunne has against it.

Playing Manning deep is a monumental waste of talent. He popped up with a goal of pure class in Wexford. If he was there to receive the cross more often, there is no doubt that goals would have come far easier. From bits and pieces I have picked up, Manning doesn't seem at all suited to the role he has been given. Not ineffective, but clearly not all that comfortable in it either.

The gap between junior and the First Division, crap as it is, is massive. Junior has been particularly bad for the last number of years too.

I completely disagree with the call to get a striker in. They have the players, they just haven't clicked. (Edit: Dunne playing them in the wrong positions is as much to blame as anything. Manning deep, Keegan on the wing, Walsh as a striker.) As someone who was actually as the games said to me, some team is due a drubbing from Galway (someone decent, not Cobh). Manning being played in his most effective role would be a huge improvement, whatever the hell Dunne has against it.

Playing Manning deep is a monumental waste of talent. He popped up with a goal of pure class in Wexford. If he was there to receive the cross more often, there is no doubt that goals would have come far easier. From bits and pieces I have picked up, Manning doesn't seem at all suited to the role he has been given. Not ineffective, but clearly not all that comfortable in it either.

Fair enough, but having drawn blanks in 4 of the 7 league games so far, I hope it doesn't continue.

Regardless of the jump in class between Junior and First Division, and I know there is, Moran is still scoring goals and full of confidence though, that was my point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement