Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazing escape...

Options
  • 06-10-2014 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭

for these spectators;

That girl sat on the wall in thew green (?) top (furthest from the bend) can only have been missed by a matter of inches.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

A lot of very very lucky people there. Pure chance that the car avoided hitting anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They shouldn't allow people to sit on the exit of corners. It's one of the most likely places that the car will go off if the driver overcooks it. All they'd have to do is switch which side of the road they sit on to improve safety.

There are so many rally crash videos where the spectators were simply lucky not to get killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Looks to be from Europe where marshaling is not as good as here.

Fact is though, whether they were instructed to move or not, those spectators chose to stand there. Personal responsibility comes into play. From marshaling myself, some people are ignorant to the dangers of the sport and too pig headed to listen to instructions but immediately the marshals are at fault if anything happens. In that video there are no marshals in sight. You cant cover an entire stage, spectators themselves need to evaluate each corner and go where its safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

We see this a lot in road racing where fans will sit on the exit of corners, this year at the North West we were lucky to avoid something similar. Never fails to amaze me how silly some people can be at a track/stage. We all want to get close to the action but this kind of thing is ridiculous. There's plenty of times standing trackside at F1 or MotoGP or Le Mans that I feel things are a little bit too hairy and I'll move from that spot and when you bear in mind that there's gravel traps, barriers, etc on a circuit you can imagine how dangerous a rally stage can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

wobbles wrote: »
    Looks to be from Europe where marshaling is not as good as here.

Fact is though, whether they were instructed to move or not, those spectators chose to stand there. Personal responsibility comes into play. From marshaling myself, some people are ignorant to the dangers of the sport and too pig headed to listen to instructions but immediately the marshals are at fault if anything happens. In that video there are no marshals in sight. You cant cover an entire stage, spectators themselves need to evaluate each corner and go where its safe.

I've seen many marshalls pleading with idiots to move to a safer location. They don't seem to understand that it's not only possible that a car could go off at a junction it's actually very fecking likely that at least one will.

I remember one stage of a fairly big rally I was at having to be cancelled because of idiots.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

:eek:...jebus...sooo many lucky people there..that last girl should go and buy a lottery ticket....imagine if she had run onto the road a second earlier...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

h3000 wrote: »
    I've seen many marshalls pleading with idiots to move to a safer location. They don't seem to understand that it's not only possible that a car could go off at a junction it's actually very fecking likely that at least one will.

I remember one stage of a fairly big rally I was at having to be cancelled because of idiots.

Came very close to cancelling a stage myself because of idiots who wouldnt move not matter what we did. Eventually gave up trying to get them to move and was calling the other marshals to contact stage commander. Luckily enough other people in the crowd heard we were going to cancel the stage because of them and once the other spectators got onto them they werent as brave and moved. Still had to babysit them for the rest of the time they were there and could have used those marshalls better had they done what were asked to do in the first place

Advertisement