Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any other ways you can fail to qualify for a course

Options
  • 02-04-2011 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

So I have Arts in Maynooth down for my first choice and even though its likely I will get the points for it I'm worried I still won't make it in for some reason.

Just for the record, I'm doing no restricted courses so interviews shouldn't be an issue either.

I was just wondering does anyone know if there is a chance you wouldn't be accepted for a CAO course for other factors besides points?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 alrolo

The basic entry requirements need to be met which are listed below

Under (i) a student should have passed in six matriculation subjects, with a minimum of two recognised subjects at
    Higher Level Grade C3.
    Each Faculty requires that a student has matriculated in relevant subjects before entry into that Faculty.
    The subject requirements of the Faculty of Arts, Philosophy and Celtic Studies and the Faculty of Social Sciences are:
    (i) Irish
    (ii) English
    (iii) A third language
    (iv) Any three other Matriculation subjects

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If the college required a grade in a European language, for example, and you don't have one, regardless of points gained you won't get in. Otherwise, say you were aiming for a course with a (say) English component and the requirements included at least a particular grade in English, then no matter how many points you get, if you don't have the specified requirements you won't be offered a place.

Colleges are usually quite clear on what is needed for particular courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

What courses have interviews to get into?:confused:

As long as you have all the codes on your CAO right and have all your entry requirements you're grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I have my exemption form from both Irish and a third language so I think I wil be fine with that.

Otherwise I wil prob need to meet the entry requirements with subject grades etc.

I'm just a little worried they mightn't offer me a course if demand is too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

karaokeman wrote: »

I'm just a little worried they mightn't offer me a course if demand is too high.

If you have the requirements and the points there's no reason why they can't let you in, unless you don't pay fees or something :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

You have to make the college aware of your language exemptions. If you dont you will be treated as if you dont have them and wont get the course as far as I'm aware. Well thats what our Careers teacher told us.

Advertisement