Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stories of people who did worse in the LC than the mocks

Options
  • 06-07-2011 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

I have Arts in Maynooth as my first choice and I am freaking out that I won't get the points.

It was 375 the past 2 years, the sociology lecturer in NUIM told me she expects it to remain pretty much the same this year. I'm guessing 385-390 since NUIM has increased in popularity.

I got 370 for my mocks but I am really concerned I will get less for the LC.

In History I did write 3 relatively-good essays. Problem is I had few facts unlike in my mocks where I got 77%. I focused more on referring back to the question, which won't really give me as many marks.

In Geography I only got about half the required number of facts in half of my long answers. The other half were quite good and I probably got 15 facts for 30/30 in about one or two questions. Problem is I only wrote a page for the biome with only 2 areas written in detail. I'm not sure about the short questions because I never know until my results come out. Anyway I got 6$% in the mocks, worried this might drop in my actual results.

Also in English I wrote about 2 pages or so less than what I did in the mocks. I wrote 11 pages for the mocks and just scraped 9 for the LC. Otherwise my essays were mostly good, but this will probably bring my mark below 80%, which I had in the mocks.

For OL Maths I got 72% in the mocks, expecting 85% or 90% now because the paper was very easy. I would like to think I'd 60 points for this because I think I had full marks on most questions and it was only the part (c)'s that I only attempted and didn't get out.

Art History, I did a great painting and a great poster and a half-decent life drawing for the real thing. I also wrote more in Art history, which is good but I'm worried I mightn't of had enough facts. In the mocks I did two a woeful painting, an alright poster and an alright life drawing but a good history exam. I got 55% and I'm expecting this to be much the same, or less if I didn't get enough facts in Art history and if the life drawing pulls me down.

Biology, I did some s**** answers in the mocks, which just showed lack of understanding and I got 42%. In the real thing I did a little bit better, had some scientific information but the lack of core topics (like reproduction, food etc.) didn't come up so that will probably affect me.

I did 5 honours and pass maths.

Otherwise does anyone have stories of getting less in the mocks than in the real thing? I feel I am part of this minority and would love to hear if anyone else thinks I'm likely to get less.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,404 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

My brother got 520 in the mocks then 505 in the real thing so it does happen, I think its normally when people put lots of effort in for the mocks, do well, then don't put in much for the real thing.

Hoping the same hasn't happened to me!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It can happen, but whether it has happened to you, you can't do anything about it, so go enjoy our lovely summer.

In exams, it's about answering the questions, not just putting in a set number of facts. You might surprise yourself yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

AdamD wrote: »
    My brother got 520 in the mocks then 505 in the real thing so it does happen, I think its normally when people put lots of effort in for the mocks, do well, then don't put in much for the real thing.

Happened to me many moons ago. I got 440 in my mocks and only 290 in the LC. I was gutted but still got my first choice as it dropped to 260 as it was a brand new course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

It happens to a lot of people. I got 425 in my mocks last year and 395 in the real thing.
    This year I got 475 in the mocks so hoping for better.
    No point worrying yourself about it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 LouiseOD

I feel sick :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

You're forgetting that the vast majority of people go up in the real thing!

As Spurious said, relax. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

karaokeman wrote: »

Otherwise does anyone have stories of getting less in the mocks than in the real thing? I feel I am part of this minority and would love to hear if anyone else thinks I'm likely to get less.

You haven't got your results yet and hearing other people's horror stories won't help you. Stop thinking about it and enjoy the summer. There's nothing you can do until you get your results and your offer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Seriously, folks, let it go!!

I'm not being mean, but some of you are doing your own heads in (and each other's) re: something over which you have absolutely no control at this stage!!

Forget about it for a few weeks until the results are due! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement