Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The fascination with medicine

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Similar to all 3rd Level courses, the career guidance surrounding Medicine is entirely lacking. Despite this, it has had a drop out rate of as low as 2 per cent in Ireland - compare that to the drop out rate for Computer Science of 27 per cent. To suggest that a good chunk of Med students are just doing it for the money or status is highly disingenuous, and has no basis other than speculation and jealousy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I dont believe that medicine is all about the money. I study business and economic and we are constantly told by our lecturers, that realistically half of us will be high earning managers. There is only so much you can earn with medicine. Where as with Business/Economics the sky is the limit literally. If you are successful trader, you can be earning £10million a year and retire before you are 40. The same cant be said for medicine. There is plenty of accountants in various firms around Dublin earning several times what most doctors make,

I think being a doctor is often about the social status in Ireland. We dont real have a defined 'class' like the UK. So being a doctor in Ireland is like the most prestigious job you can have

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Anyone thinking it's a way to make lots of money is in for a bit of a fright (and fairly early on in their career). Far easier ways to make lots of dosh, if that's your bag.

I would agree there is very poor Careers Guidance on this and it can't all be put down to the slashing of Careers resources in schools, as it's been going on for years. It's as if once a student is identified as being able to get high points that the 'you must be considering Medicine' wheels start turning.

I was at school with a girl who was headed for medicine points (and got them) but had no interest in anything medical and wanted to do a new Marketing-related course which at the time needed just two HL subjects. The careers nun got into such a tizzy she called her parents in to try and 'convince' her to do the right thing, but luckily her parents wanted her to be happy with her course choice, so off to Marketing she went.

She absolutely flew along through the course, getting so much attention from those in the industry that she was on the payroll of a major multi-national all through her fourth year, on the understanding that she would go and work for them afterwards, which she did, starting on a huge salary. After many years in the industry, she ended up lecturing and still loves her job thirty-odd years on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

A lot of people do it for the adderall and morphine scripts. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Health care professionals have been hit by the recession too.
    Also the government has high taxes on the salaries of doctors , dentists , surgeons etc..

I feel that working in health care is a vocation rather than a job . People who have no interest in their patients and are just using them as a means to an end get nowhere.

Immediately you will be subject to things like cadavers every week . This isn't for everyone .
    Also essentially they are teaching you how to deal with illness ,. How to therapeutically intervene.
    Day in day out you will deal with sick people , some who won't get better and some who won't listen to your advice .

Not to mention how demanding university can be ....right from the beginning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Idle thoughts really - the courses in places like Budapest, when qualified, do you end up having to do more exams here to register, or is it a Europe-wide qualification?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

As far as I'm aware it can vary, in the prestigious colleges in those countries it's normally recognised globally in other 'lower ranked' university's that is not the case.

This is a quote I heard my GP regurgitate 'Medicine is only for those who cannot imagine doing anything else'
    In my eyes it really does sum it all up.

Advertisement