Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert study tips

Options
  • 17-01-2015 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Less than 5 months left !! If anyone could give me study tips for history please because I'm really struggling !! :( thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 caoimhe's phone

Less than 5 months left !! If anyone could give me study tips for history please because I'm really struggling !! :( thanks

PM me, I get high marks in history & willing to help :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

- Look back at past papers, identify possible questions / recurring themes.

- Do out plans for how you would answer each in the form of bullet points e.g.

Question: XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Plan:

• Point 1
    • Point 2
    • Point 3 etc.

While exactly the same question is unlikely to come up, certain themes tend to recur; think about how you might adapt your answer if the question comes up in a different format: e.g. if the question is about Fascism in Germany and Italy, how might you tackle it differently / elaborate in more detail if the focus is only on one of those countries?

At this stage of the year, you may need to have brief notes associated with each bullet point to help you remember, but in the final few weeks, you should be able to glance at the question, note down the bullet points from memory, then close your eyes and mentally rehearse the more detailed info associated with each bullet point.

You are likely to find that this approach is far more adaptable to a different approach on the same topic than trying to learn off pre-written essays, as some do.

One of the main reasons why people lose marks in history and indeed other subjects is that they give the examiners back a load of information without a clear, tight focus on the actual question asked. ;)

Advertisement