Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help hot water (******)

• 30-07-2014 11:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭

Im no plumber but i changed an imersion element before with ease. So i tried to do the same in a friends house but it was an old system and had no valves on the cold attic cold water feed so i drained the tank and changed the element. turned everything back on and had no hot water coming out of any tap. So i tried all the tricks with house pipes and fingers on mixers to no avail. So i rang a freind who is in the trade but not qualified and he took off the overflow coming out of the top of cyclinder which was full and no air bubbles. so then he went to the draining cock at the end of the cylinder connected a hose and nothing came out and he was amazed/confused. There was a lot of flakey crap in the cold water cylinder which he thinks maybe could of blocked something. he mentioned some sort of air compresor that could flush out the system but he wasnt to sure.

any ideas,
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

An element is not a diy job. It can be difficult enough for a professional. Your friend should have called a plumber.
    Now he needs to call a good plumber. Also get the plumber to fit valves (leaver Valves) on all pipes while he has it drained down. Its nuts that if he has a bad leak that he has no way to shut off the water before the house gets flooded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭zombiekiller

I know mate i changed an element before and on that one i did the valves were so old i had to drain the system and change the valves and there was no problem. So my freind knew this and asked me to have a go. So i changed the element no problem then there was no hot water so this morning while were thinking what to do i fitted a valve on the feed to the tank. I was just trying to help a mate. Maybe he couldnt afford a plumber i dont know. But if you Have no input to offer REMOVED ABUSE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I know mate i changed an element before and on that one i did the valves were so old i had to drain the system and change the valves and there was no problem. So my freind knew this and asked me to have a go. So i changed the element no problem then there was no hot water so this morning while were thinking what to do i fitted a valve on the feed to the tank. I was just trying to help a mate. Maybe he couldnt afford a plumber i dont know. But if you Have no input to offer REMOVED ABUSE

Of course I have input. Get a plumber as you haven't a clue what you are doing. A plumber would have supplied & fitted the element for €100 / €130. Now he might have to pay twice that or more to sort out your mess.
    It is not a diy job as you just found out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭zombiekiller

thanks for the input its fixed. and by me an un-qualified plumber whats the world coming too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement