Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Septic tank queries

• 19-07-2014 8:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

I had a few questions about septic tanks, hopefully someone can help me get some answers.

How do I know where the leach field is in relation to the tank?
    If I'm growing vegetables, how far away from the tank and leach field should they be?
    How often should a septic tank be emptied?
    How would I know if there was a problem with the tank (leaks etc)
    Does all wastewater (baths, showers, dishwasher, kitchen and other sinks) as well as toilet waste, go into the tank?
    I've read that you shouldn't use harsh cleaning materials such as bleach in toilets when you have a septic tank, what about toilet duck and multi-purpose cleaners, such as floor cleaning fluid?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

r3nu4l wrote: »
    If I'm growing vegetables, how far away from the tank and leach field should they be?

You can only get a rough idea from the exit point of tank. Is there not any vent pipes in the region of your tank?. I see no issue growing vegetables over the leach field.

Emptying depends on usage, some say once a year. Others go on 1.5 feet of sludge. Have you ponding or smells that you are questioning potential problems with your tank?
    Does all wastewater (baths, showers, dishwasher, kitchen and other sinks) as well as toilet waste, go into the tank?
    I've read that you shouldn't use harsh cleaning materials such as bleach in toilets when you have a septic tank, what about toilet duck and multi-purpose cleaners, such as floor cleaning fluid?

It should but in ireland alot of different school of thoughts were employed. In my opinion cleaning materials screw up the natural breakdown in tanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Cerco

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I had a few questions about septic tanks, hopefully someone can help me get some answers.

Thanks in advance.

Some information here you might find useful.

http://inspectapedia.com/septic/Septic_Tank_Care.htm#lsign

In relation to grey water note that dishwashers, washing machines and shower waste etc contain chemicals. Check the labels on bleach as some are claimed to be suitable for septic tanks...though I have doubts.

Would be interested in opinions on how to locate a leach field.covered on the link above but would like to hear from anyone who has done it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Thanks for the answers folks. I don't actually have a tank yet but in the coming months am most likely going to be purchasing a property that contains a tank rather than being connected to mains sewerage :(

I thought I'd so some research first. :)

Advertisement