Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Has Right Of Way?

Options
  • 08-10-2007 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

Consider these scenario:

(a)There is a cyclist on the on his way strait up a road and there is a turn to the left a car coming in the opposite direction is turning to it's right across the cyclist's path, is it up to the cyclist to stop for the car or the car to wait for the cyclist..

(b)Same scenario except the car is coming from behind the cyclist and turning left.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

cyclist has right of way........both times!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

grahamo wrote:
    cyclist has right of way........both times!

Agreed, cyclist has right of way and car should stop

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

Read Rules of the Road cyclists have right of way at all times

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tyrrial wrote:
    Consider these scenario:

(a)There is a cyclist on the on his way strait up a road and there is a turn to the left a car coming in the opposite direction is turning to it's right across the cyclist's path, is it up to the cyclist to stop for the car or the car to wait for the cyclist..

(b)Same scenario except the car is coming from behind the cyclist and turning left.
    As said, in both cases the cyclist has right-of-way, except if the cycle track that the cyclist is using is not part of the road. If the cycle track is on the path, the cyclist must yield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

its a well known fact that cyclists are invisible and dont have the right of way...in fact eveything should get out of the way of white vans...especially mine...:)

OF COURSE the bike was right....SURELY noone would argue against that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

in case A even if the was a car going straight he does'nt have to give way. it's only roads of equal importance or roundabouts. that you give way to traffic coming from you right
    in case B a little tip i was given was.
    before or after NEVER during.
    if you cant get ahead to make the left turn safely then stay behind at a safe distance to make your left turn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

seamus wrote:
    If the cycle track is on the path, the cyclist must yield.
    Do you have a legal reference for that?

The closest reference I can find is that vehicle drivers turning right must yield to pedestrians who have started to cross the junction they're turning into.

I cannot find any direction to cyclists to yield to motorists in the same situation. So, I think vehicle drivers must yield if the cyclist has started to cross.

As regards vehicles turning left, they're obliged by the regulations not overtake if it will cause any inconvenience to anyone. So, therefore nobody should overtake anyone when approaching a left-hand junction unless they can complete the manoeuvre without causing inconvenience..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

In (A) cyclist has right of way just like a car woudl in same situation.
    (B) Cyclist also has right of way - thats why a driver should always look in left wing mirror turning left in case a cyclist is coming up on the inside so not to turn left into their path and knock them down

Of course in reality cyclists just think they have right of way in all situations, that red traffic lights mean go and that a light on a bike is a waste of non renewable energy

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So, I think vehicle drivers must yield if the cyclist has started to cross.
    That's kind of what I meant. In the case of where the cyclist has has come off the path at the junction in order to cross, the same rules as peds apply. So yield to traffic approaching, but of course traffic is obliged to yield to cyclists/peds who have started crossing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Cabaal wrote:
    Agreed, cyclist has right of way and car should stop

Sounds like the bike has right of way, UNLESS the cycle lane has any other STOP or yield signs just for cyclists?

PS its getting dark earlier, so put on your lights otherwise the oncoming traffic will mow you down regardless.

• Advertisement
Advertisement